2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

23 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Why would AJ be cut?

The Jags currently have $263,000 in cap space and would save roughly 9 mil in cap space by cutting him. This is just pure speculation on my part, but he has the third biggest cap hit on a team with little to no cap space. 

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

The Jags currently have $263,000 in cap space and would save roughly 9 mil in cap space by cutting him. This is just pure speculation on my part, but he has the third biggest cap hit on a team with little to no cap space. 

bouye is not bad and damn sure an upgrade from what we have

12 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I have them at 2.6M in space right now, and they have easier cuts they can make. Carlos Hyde will be off the books, that gives them 4.7. Bortles at the very least will be released, that's 4.5. If they can get someone to take him in trade for a decent pick, they'd save a ton more (say Bortles + a 6th for next year's second). But at the very least, they get 4.5 back regardless. Malik Jackson is going to be gone, that's another 11 coming back. So just in those three moves, you have 20 million in space cleared up, which covers Foles. Parnell and Lindor can both be extended / restructured. Abry Jones saves 4. There's just better ways to go about it then losing a quality player like AJ. 

18 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have them at 2.6M in space right now, and they have easier cuts they can make. Carlos Hyde will be off the books, that gives them 4.7. Bortles at the very least will be released, that's 4.5. If they can get someone to take him in trade for a decent pick, they'd save a ton more (say Bortles + a 6th for next year's second). But at the very least, they get 4.5 back regardless. Malik Jackson is going to be gone, that's another 11 coming back. So just in those three moves, you have 20 million in space cleared up, which covers Foles. Parnell and Lindor can both be extended / restructured. Abry Jones saves 4. There's just better ways to go about it then losing a quality player like AJ. 

Spotrac has them at $263,000 and some change. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/cap/

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Spotrac has them at $263,000 and some change. https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/cap/

I generally trust OTC more, which has them at 2.6M. That being said, looking over it, I can't really find the difference based on a cursory glance (spotrac has a little more dead money, but not over 2 million dollar's worth). 

But again, that difference of 2 million is fairly nominal. Not big enough to require a trade of Bouye. There are just better ways to go about it. 

20 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Wouldn’t mind Jamie Collins in the least, older now and hasn’t been the star he was when with NE but should come cheaper than some FAs out there and cant dispute his experience and talent compared to what we have.

I have to pass on Collins. He's still competent, but he's a guy I'd certainly have others over (Kwon, Hicks, etc). His athletic profile has slipped, he misses tackles, but more importantly, one of the biggest problems this team has is a lack of discipline in zones and the decision to break coverages (see Colbert against AZ, numerous other instances). I don't want a guy who basically does whatever in the world he wants and can't be counted on to keep to his actual duties. That's just throwing kerosene on a fire

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have to pass on Collins. He's still competent, but he's a guy I'd certainly have others over (Kwon, Hicks, etc). His athletic profile has slipped, he misses tackles, but more importantly, one of the biggest problems this team has is a lack of discipline in zones and the decision to break coverages (see Colbert against AZ, numerous other instances). I don't want a guy who basically does whatever in the world he wants and can be counted on to keep to his actual duties. That's just throwing kerosene on a fire

I know that was the knock on him when he was traded from NE, is that still the case or has he matured so to speak in scheme and role discipline?

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

I know that was the knock on him when he was traded from NE, is that still the case or has he matured so to speak in scheme and role discipline?

I haven't heard anything more about it, but at the same time, I haven't heard that he's improved (the focus on him has been more about the slip in play overall). Plus, I have no idea what role / situation they had him during his time in Cleveland - they may have just allowed him to freelance more for all I know, or he could have gotten better, etc. 

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I haven't heard anything more about it, but at the same time, I haven't heard that he's improved (the focus on him has been more about the slip in play overall). Plus, I have no idea what role / situation they had him during his time in Cleveland - they may have just allowed him to freelance more for all I know, or he could have gotten better, etc. 

Yea, I haven't heard much if anything either on him other than his cap hit was a big reason for his release. While admittedly just box score scouting he had a fairly competent year and from remembering how he was used at his time in NE seems like a guy who could float between WILL/MIKE and SAM. Would be an interesting add to our team though.

Archived