2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

Just now, Forge said:

Maybe we are too busy trying to acquire OBJ from the Giants to give real attention to ET at this current point in time. 

Stop kidding yourself, that's another pipe dream. Expect to go explore a trade for Jordy Nelson instead.....

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

We were just foolish to go into free agency with high hopes. That's all it was. Should have tampered our expectations bit....or more than a bit lol.

Obviously, they are very active, and I do appreciate that, and sometimes its hard to separate the real from the fictional with all the reports. It's just really disconcerting if we aren't trying to acquire the hall of fame talent who plays most important position in the secondary for this scheme and possibly the second most important position overall but then we are working on a deals for an off ball linebacker, a running back, etc etc etc. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Obviously, they are very active, and I do appreciate that, and sometimes its hard to separate the real from the fictional with all the reports. It's just really disconcerting if we aren't trying to acquire the hall of fame talent who plays most important position in the secondary for this scheme and possibly the second most important position overall but then we are working on a deals for an off ball linebacker, a running back, etc etc etc. 

Pretty much par for course. They target their guys that aren't all that good and severely over pay for them. They ignore the proven commodity and in this case the proven commodity is a freaking future HOFer who will be well worth the contract. 

Maybe they are just letting the ET situation play out a bit to see what he is being offered and then seeing if they want to get in the race or not? 

Just now, 48 1/2ers said:

ET might just be too old and too outspoken about his club. It was proven with AB those are traits that don’t interest the front office. 

Now if there was nobody reaching out to Adrian Amos’ people...that’s crazy

I mean, he's 29 . And safety is a position that can age very gracefully for great ones...and we are talking about a 2 year deal. If age is a factor with regards to ET, this front office is dumber than I thought. 

And it really depends on the context of the outspokenness. I agree that it could play a part, but it really depends.  I mean, we have no problem with Sherm. AB was a guy that caused friction in the locker room, and I Think that is a little bit different. Plus, he had a domestic dispute recently. Hard to say what all exactly went into us deciding we didn't want any part of that. Could have also been the contract demand. Obviously, Sherm has also been lobbying for ET here and I have to imagine that holds some weight. 

Stefen Wisnieski's option was declined from the Eagles making him a FA. I have wanted this guy since we was a FA from the Raiders. Would love to bring him in on as our C/OG competition and would not be surprised in the slightest if he won a starting job out right. He's better than anyone we have starting now in Tomlinson, Richburg and Person.

5 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

ET might just be too old and too outspoken about his club. It was proven with AB those are traits that don’t interest the front office. 

Now if there was nobody reaching out to Adrian Amos’ people...that’s crazy

Too old? He's what 30? Is this team not going to have anything but a bunch of 24 and 25 year olds? And we also have Sherman who is just as old as Thomas and was seen just as outspoken.

To not even be in the hunt for him is super disappointing. No better fit at FS than Thomas and he was playing lights out ball last year before he got hurt. 

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

Stefen Wisnieski's option was declined from the Eagles making him a FA. I have wanted this guy since we was a FA from the Raiders. Would love to bring him in on as our C/OG competition and would not be surprised in the slightest if he won a starting job out right. He's better than anyone we have starting now in Tomlinson, Richburg and Person.

I feel like he'll have too many suitors for a guaranteed starting spot - mainly, whomever loses the Paradis sweepstakes. 

Before we start getting too crazy here gentlemen, let's see how things play out before we get to calling for everyone's head. Until we see that someone has in fact signed ET, a trade has been made for OBJ and we signed a RB let us see what actually happens. This is the first day of the tampering period, a lot can still happen. Besides, I've actually warmed up to the idea of HaHa Clinton-Dix playing FS for us so he's my fall back from ET so to speak. I guarantee he'd be much cheaper and he'd be a great improvement over what we played last year.

Just now, Forge said:

I feel like he'll have too many suitors for a guaranteed starting spot - mainly, whomever loses the Paradis sweepstakes. 

Probably, but I don't see why that should prevent us from trying. Hopefully we can pitch him into coming and playing for Shanny and an up and coming team (maybe?). If not him there's not a whole lot out there in FA so if we choose to pass I'm hoping our 3rd rounder goes towards addressing that need.

1 minute ago, Fureys49ers said:

Before we start getting too crazy here gentlemen, let's see how things play out before we get to calling for everyone's head. Until we see that someone has in fact signed ET, a trade has been made for OBJ and we signed a RB let us see what actually happens. This is the first day of the tampering period, a lot can still happen. Besides, I've actually warmed up to the idea of HaHa Clinton-Dix playing FS for us so he's my fall back from ET so to speak. I guarantee he'd be much cheaper and he'd be a great improvement over what we played last year.

His play is so up and down and sporadic. I think he may be third on my list. I think I may prefer Gipson in that role? I'm not sure. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

His play is so up and down and sporadic. I think he may be third on my list. I think I may prefer Gipson in that role? I'm not sure. 

Completely forgot he was recently added. He is for sure my second choice. It would be ET, Gipson then HaHa. I prefer Amos over all of them and right under ET but I think with how this safety market is pricing out he'll be too high for us, ET will get more but he's...well...ET so I'd allow it.

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, he's 29 . And safety is a position that can age very gracefully for great ones...and we are talking about a 2 year deal. If age is a factor with regards to ET, this front office is dumber than I thought. 

And it really depends on the context of the outspokenness. I agree that it could play a part, but it really depends.  I mean, we have no problem with Sherm. AB was a guy that caused friction in the locker room, and I Think that is a little bit different. Plus, he had a domestic dispute recently. Hard to say what all exactly went into us deciding we didn't want any part of that. Could have also been the contract demand. Obviously, Sherm has also been lobbying for ET here and I have to imagine that holds some weight. 

He’ll be 30 when the season starts. And I don’t view him and sherm as having the same tactics of speaking out. Either way there are enough flags to give a reason not to pursue, I’d prefer they did but I understand there are flags. 

If it’s not ET, or anyone of the other top FA safeties then I’ll agree we’re dumb

Archived