2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Yeah, that's great. I'll give them credit for that. these contracts still factor into things such as roll over, and that matters. But giving them credit for admitting mistakes does not remove the mistake...particularly when you keep making it. 

Fair point on rollover, but I think the my point being is that it's hard to call talent acquisition a mistake given the overall context. Juice was not a mistake, expensive, but not a mistake. I think that's fair, you may disagree (and I hated it at first), but there's at least a validity in saying he's worth it. Richburg..jury still out. He was not good last year but there were clearly mitigating circumstances with injury and being able to pickup the scheme. Kyle seems to know his centers pretty well so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on it. 

Jerrick was just awful. He'd have to be Barkley to make it worth it. Same with Malcmon. Garcon was clearly a locker room, scheme thing and a dry market. Other than those 3, I don't really have huge complains one way or another.

I will say, if th is Kwon contract prevents us from going after ET/Amos..i  will be livid. But this shouldn't prevent that. 

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So this isn't dying. But think he's NYJ bound. 

16-17 for Flowers>>>13.5 for Alexander. 

Curious about the structure and guarantees. But irked we didn't try to match that. Then again..maybe Flowers never wanted to come here. Obviously the scheme is the same for him. 

I really hope we go after ET/Amos and Barrett, Z. Smith, Ziggy Ansah and Houston now. 

Just now, John232 said:

Fair point on rollover, but I think the my point being is that it's hard to call talent acquisition a mistake given the overall context. Juice was not a mistake, expensive, but not a mistake. I think that's fair, you may disagree (and I hated it at first), but there's at least a validity in saying he's worth it. Richburg..jury still out. He was not good last year but there were clearly mitigating circumstances with injury and being able to pickup the scheme. Kyle seems to know his centers pretty well so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on it. 

Jerrick was just awful. He'd have to be Barkley to make it worth it. Same with Malcmon. Garcon was clearly a locker room, scheme thing and a dry market. Other than those 3, I don't really have huge complains one way or another.

I will say, if th is Kwon contract prevents us from going after ET/Amos..i  will be livid. But this shouldn't prevent that. 

And humorously for me, I've never had a problem with the Juice contract LOL. IT was just an unneeded overpay, in my opinion. But 5m is a drop in the bucket against the cap, so I have never hated it. 

FWIW, I do want to make it abundantly clear, I don't hate Kwon the player. I think there's some legit really good upside for a playmaking WILL, and there's value there. It's not this value lol. I feel like we are failing to exploit a market inefficiency in that the college game is pumping out a lot of WILLs right now (and I say that not even being a fan of this particular class). You can get really cheap, decent WILLS and you can do it in round 3 to be perfectly honest. WILL is not a position I'm targeting for high value free agents. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Patriots are about to replace Flowers with Bennett and Houston aren't they? 

Honestly, they replaced him with Bennett. Their production was eerily similar last year. That's why New England has spent 20 years at the top. 

Don't get all the torch and pitchfork wailing. Maybe see the contract structure or if he passes a physical that even seals this deal first, before stepping out onto the ledge.

If they can just get a Justin Houston type and add ER early in the draft, we'll be fine. I wouldn't of signed Alexander for that likely cost, but how often do we ever really get what we want? It's whatever, so far. 

Just now, Forge said:

And humorously for me, I've never had a problem with the Juice contract LOL. IT was just an unneeded overpay, in my opinion. But 5m is a drop in the bucket against the cap, so I have never hated it. 

FWIW, I do want to make it abundantly clear, I don't hate Kwon the player. I think there's some legit really good upside for a playmaking WILL, and there's value there. It's not this value lol. I feel like we are failing to exploit a market inefficiency in that the college game is pumping out a lot of WILLs right now (and I say that not even being a fan of this particular class). You can get really cheap, decent WILLS and you can do it in round 3 to be perfectly honest. WILL is not a position I'm targeting for high value free agents. 

Totally agree. As I said earlier, really wish we hadn't overpaid for Kwon. But I don't hate it. I think they've also looked at this draft and noped out of picking any LBers in the first 4 rounds with the intention of starting them. Pretty awful class for a Will backer. Though, there's a 4 or 5 later rounders that I like. 

Feel like I also called us signing Alexander. I think I had him in my mock off-season. 

edit: Nope, I called for Hicks. Sad. 

I'm also curious what Hicks goes for too. Though his injury history is arguably worse than Kwon's ACL. 

I would think our names should be next to a FS next and then maybe and edge player in the coming days after this first wave hits. I think an edge guy at pick 2 is highly likely.

If we can maybe sign a vet at CB later in FA, secure ET or HaHa and an edge with some proven production and/or upside regardless of the contracts I'll have liked what we've done this offseason on defense. As long as we stay away from the offensive side of the ball this FA I think our first three picks will be EDGE, WR then IOL and I can get on board with all of this.

9 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Don't get all the torch and pitchfork wailing. Maybe see the contract structure or if he passes a physical that even seals this deal first, before stepping out onto the ledge.

If they can just get a Justin Houston type and add ER early in the draft, we'll be fine. I wouldn't of signed Alexander for that likely cost, but how often do we ever really get what we want? It's whatever, so far. 

We know the structure I'm pretty sure. I think someone posted it earlier. Basically 2 / 27. 

10 minutes ago, John232 said:

Curious about the structure and guarantees. But irked we didn't try to match that. Then again..maybe Flowers never wanted to come here. Obviously the scheme is the same for him. 

I really hope we go after ET/Amos and Barrett, Z. Smith, Ziggy Ansah and Houston now. 

As much as I like Flowers, he is NOT worth 16-17 a year. He's sort of a hybrid player. You pay that kind of money for guys who sack the QB at a pretty high rate. No way would I have been good with giving him that kind of money. 

3 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I would think our names should be next to a FS next and then maybe and edge player in the coming days after this first wave hits. I think an edge guy at pick 2 is highly likely.

Yeah, I think the next thing off the board is the safety. I'm still pretty sure that we are making a play on Ziggy, but because that is likely going to be a one year deal, I see that as something that will happen a few days into free agency because he may want to scour the market to see if he can get a multi year deal from some first if they miss out on all the other edge rushers (someone like the Jets or something) 

6 minutes ago, John232 said:

Feel like I also called us signing Alexander. I think I had him in my mock off-season. 

edit: Nope, I called for Hicks. Sad. 

I'm also curious what Hicks goes for too. Though his injury history is arguably worse than Kwon's ACL. 

It is for sure. Hicks has had problems staying on the field going all the way back to college. 

Archived