2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Unless there is some serious tension/issues between OBJ and the Giants, they would so foolish to trade him. If they're trying to get their QB of the future in this draft, why trade away your best target in a year that you have an abundance of draft picks? It just doesn't make sense from the Giants' point of view unless they really don't like each other.

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Unless there is some serious tension/issues between OBJ and the Giants, they would so foolish to trade him. If they're trying to get their QB of the future in this draft, why trade away your best target in a year that you have an abundance of draft picks? It just doesn't make sense from the Giants' point of view unless they really don't like each other.

Agreed. I still maintain that nothing is happening with OBJ this off season. 

Just now, Forge said:

As a blitzer maybe? 

No, as in dropping into coverage. I don’t know how true this is, id have to watch some of his games. But he’s a clear step up from Malcom smith.

i don’t love the signing but I didn’t expect people to be so violently opposed to upgrading a gaping hole. Even if it’s an overpay. 

But thats FA, can’t have it both ways.

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Agreed. I still maintain that nothing is happening with OBJ this off season. 

Yep, that's why Miller's tweet was so stupid. Like even if a trade is happening, makes no sense to happen right now. Giants will let this play out longer and see what they want to do at QB first and foremost before thinking of moving OBJ.

@John232...he's not good in coverage. You're the second person who I've seen mention that and it's just not true...

Alexander’s overall grade of 59.1 ranked 66th among linebackers last season. Although he had below average grades in run defense (53.3) and coverage (57.1), he did excel as a pass-rusher. On only 32 pass-rush snaps in six games, Alexander recorded six pressures. His ability as a pass-rusher will be valuable to any takers this offseason.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-kwon-alexander-wasnt-as-good-as-you-think-tampa-bay-buccaneers

The last article is from 2016 so this has been a running theme during his short career...

10 minutes ago, John232 said:

its not a great contract but Jesus Christ this isn’t worth acting like the sky is falling,

And it wasn't worth it to act like that when we signed McKinnon to a ridiculous contract. Or Juice.  Or Jonathan Cooper. Or Malcolm Smith. Or Richburg. 

Should I go on? 

These are symptoms of a bigger problem as a whole. You can look at any one individual contract and say oh, it's not all that bad...but when you look at the whole, the fact of the matter is, we are giving much worse contracts than good ones. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

No, as in dropping into coverage. I don’t know how true this is, id have to watch some of his games. But he’s a clear step up from Malcom smith.

i don’t love the signing but I didn’t expect people to be so violently opposed to upgrading a gaping hole. Even if it’s an overpay. 

Not to mention he is a young player who in his last full season went to a pro-bowl. He's adept at creating turnovers as well which is something this defense needs in a big way. Yeah, I don't get the aggressive hate for this move. I like it better than I liked the McKinnon signing last year and definitely better than the Malcomb Smith signing a couple of years ago. 

4 minutes ago, John232 said:

I have not heard anyone say that he's good dropping into coverage. The advanced stats haven't backed it up either as far as I know. Could be wrong, feel free to post. But Bucs fans are saying his strength is in run defense. 

Archived