2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not sure I want Warner at will. I'm torn. He doesn't strike me as a playmaker, and I think I want my best playmaker linebacker at the WILL role. Can't decide though. It's such a limited sample size that its really hard to say for sure what he is. 

I agree. And his best skills are coverage/play recognition/defensive alignment. These are MIKE traits. Missing tackles, though, might be what ends up holding him back. Same problem Kwon has and why I'm not particularly keen on him. 

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

If you want a better playmaker at WILL, then signing Mosely makes zero sense. I know Warner wasn't making splash plays all over the field last year, but who was? It was a historically-bad impact, play-making defense. Who we sign will tell us a lot about how Warner will be used this season.

If you sign Moseley, he's the MIKE, Warner is the Will in that scenario, agree with you there. 

Alexander is probably the best playmaker out of the bunch, to be honest. I am just not sure I am willing to shell out 11 million to get that. 

Just now, Forge said:

If you sign Moseley, he's the MIKE, Warner is the Will in that scenario, agree with you there. 

Alexander is probably the best playmaker out of the bunch, to be honest. I am just not sure I am willing to shell out 11 million to get that. 

I agree, 11 mil for Alexander is steep. I'm wondering if it takes him a few days and some renegotiation to sign. Ultimately at a lower price. I'm still hoping the niners have some interest in Jordan Hicks.

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I think Warner can make plays. Flashed that ability in college. Mosley/Warner duo would be very solid. 

Warner and Alexander duo wouldn't make all that much sense. Will get killed in the running game. Stupid Foster, why did you have to be such a moron???

Just now, John232 said:

Is Graziano legit?

Yes he is.

Now, that was more so a prediction I believe, but the Chargers EASILY become the best secondary in football right? I mean they already are up there but Thomas and James duo is some all time stuff. 

4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

We don't owe McKinnon guaranteed money only if we cut him AFTER June 1st right? Trying to think of all the talks of us being in the hunt for Bell and Coleman are all about. Is Graziano correct there? 

The guaranteed money is gone, but it makes little sense to cut him. We are still under water on the contract (cost more to cut him than to keep him on the roster...only by a small amount, but still). There are some weird things about his contact though so I'm unsure what the actual dead cap is. This is the note from OTC regarding his contract:

I am treating McKinnon's contract as if he received an additional $6 million signing bonus on top of his  $2 million signing bonus. This is because the contract, in my opinion, violates the 50% rule in the NFL CBA. The 50% rule states that the charge in year 2 must be at least half of that in the first year of the contract. If it is not the difference will be treated as a signing bonus.

So it's possible, I suppose, that the extra 6 million that spotrac and OTC are listing on there doesn't exist or is merely hypothetical? I don't know. If that is the case, then we get out of this deal with almost no dead money. So I really can't say what's going on there. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

The guaranteed money is gone, but it makes little sense to cut him. We are still under water on the contract (cost more to cut him than to keep him on the roster...only by a small amount, but still). There is a some weird things about his contact though so I'm unsure what the actual dead cap is. 

Dead cap is only 2M for post June 1 cut. But I think Shanny does really like him and according to every beat writer that McKinnon was a HUGE part of the offense in training camp and was the most featured guy from anyone on the team. Can't all of sudden sour on him right? Unless they just think Bell is so much better and they aren't afraid of the 2M dead cap?

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Dead cap is only 2M for post June 1 cut. But I think Shanny does really like him and according to every beat writer that McKinnon was a HUGE part of the offense in training camp and was the most featured guy from anyone on the team. Can't all of sudden sour on him right? Unless they just think Bell is so much better and they aren't afraid of the 2M dead cap?

But why push out the other 4 until next year? We are still underwater on it, just means we split it. I just dont' see any reason whatsoever to do it. Yeah, I mean, if they think Bell is that much better, I guess...but again, I'd have more serious questions about this regime's ability to construct a team than I already do. 

Archived