2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

1 minute ago, JIllg said:

What do you spend your cap on if you're Baltimore if not defense? From all data points we have of Jackson, he's going to have a limit as a passer and will make up some of that with his legs. The best thing about him is that his cheap rookie deal and the unique skillset that allows you to have a (relatively) functional offense without premium assets on that side of the ball. Not playing quality defensive players isn't a great use of that cap flexibility in my opinion. Now, Moseley probably isn't worth that high a cap hit, but there are other targets that they should probably pursue in order to take advantage of the current situation. 

Honestly, they really don't have a ton of space. Only about 30 million give or take. Some of that has to go to the rookies (That's a few mil), so I get if they dont' want to pay out 12 million on a first year cap hit to an off ball linebacker given that's probably about half their space and they have other needs. They appear very interested in running backs. They need wide receivers for Jackson. Several pieces on that defensive front are free agents and either need to be replaced, or re-signed (I'm assuming Suggs will be back on a somewhat cheap one year deal). Plus, if DeCosta learned from the likes of Ozzie, then this is basically standard operating procedure for them. They'll secure comp picks by losing free agents, sign lower rung free agents and guys that were cut. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Honestly, they really don't have a ton of space. Only about 30 million give or take. Some of that has to go to the rookies (That's a few mil), so I get if they dont' want to pay out 12 million on a first year cap hit to an off ball linebacker given that's probably about half their space and they have other needs. They appear very interested in running backs. They need wide receivers for Jackson. Several pieces on that defensive front are free agents and either need to be replaced, or re-signed (I'm assuming Suggs will be back on a somewhat cheap one year deal). Plus, if DeCosta learned from the likes of Ozzie, then this is basically standard operating procedure for them. They'll secure comp picks by losing free agents, sign lower rung free agents and guys that were cut. 

Fair enough. Yay not having cap problems! Boo not having players that are actual assets!

3 minutes ago, John232 said:

Definitely someone I could see us interested in. 

I'm good with that. No problem with either Smith to be honest.

I have a feeling though we will circle back and make a move for Dee Ford after we miss out on the available edge rushers. 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

I have a feeling though we will circle back and make a move for Dee Ford after we miss out on the available edge rushers. 

Yeah, that would make the most sense. Dee Ford as a backup plan isn't a bad choice at all. Smith also makes sense because he can also play SAM too. Might even be able to play off ball if needed. 

It really just sucks to do that, especially if we really have to give up pick 36. I feel it completely unnecessary.

I will say we have reached out to every possible trade option at pass rusher. I'm expecting us to be linked to Smith and Ziggy.

Just now, Forge said:

It really just sucks to do that, especially if we really have to give up pick 36. I feel it completely unnecessary.

Nah, think it will be our 3rd rounder. King said he expects late 2nd or early 3rd to entice KC. And if we can't lock him up long term? Good chance we get a 3rd or 4th rounder back in a compensatory pick. Pats/Rams are masters at this, time to join the fun lol.

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Honestly, this market is perfect for the Cowboys because they are going to be able to get a competent safety on the cheap in my opinion. Sure, it'd be great to have Earl Thomas, but for them, just having a guy like Lamarcus Joyner on almost half of what ET is going to get is going to be a huge boon. 

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

I will say we have reached out to every possible trade option at pass rusher. I'm expecting us to be linked to Smith and Ziggy.

Yeah, I'd say Ziggy is the most likely veteran rusher we sign, if we do in fact sign one. 

Nah, think it will be our 3rd rounder. King said he expects late 2nd or early 3rd to entice KC. And if we can't lock him up long term? Good chance we get a 3rd or 4th rounder back in a compensatory pick. Pats/Rams are masters at this, time to join the fun lol.

I'm certainly more open to it if it's the pick at the top of the third. I think if we secure Ford, there is a really good chance that we are moving down, so we are going to get that pick back anyway. 

Just now, Forge said:

Honestly, this market is perfect for the Cowboys because they are going to be able to get a competent safety on the cheap in my opinion. Sure, it'd be great to have Earl Thomas, but for them, just having a guy like Lamarcus Joyner on almost half of what ET is going to get is going to be a huge boon. 

Is Joyner going for half that though? I think Ha-Ha Clinton Dix is the one getting overlooked in this class and I'm not sure why. He may be had for like 4-5M cheaper than the top guns and he will be worth every penny. 

Archived