2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

I have not heard anyone say that he's good dropping into coverage. The advanced stats haven't backed it up either as far as I know. Could be wrong, feel free to post. But Bucs fans are saying his strength is in run defense. 

Well, we'll see. Maybe I'll see if I can scout it. I'm also not big on PFF coverage stats. But certainly not discounting it either @757-NINER. More to the point, he is extremely athletic and that;s something that can hopefully be improved upon and I'm a big believer that athleticism=ceiling, generally how it works. 

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

And it wasn't worth it to act like that when we signed McKinnon to a ridiculous contract. Or Juice.  Or Jonathan Cooper. Or Malcolm Smith. Or Richburg. 

Should I go on? 

Please, continue. I agree, Jerrick was objectively awful and it's so much worse because he was misdiagnosed by our late medical staff. Malcom Smith was horrible and Pierre Garcon was a clear overpay. All of these signings look about 10x worse because they've all had injuries that completely destroyed them and they've been contracts where we haven't had a super advantageous structure (notably Malcom and PIerre).

And on some level, that also applied to Richburg per Shanahan's comments about him after the season getting inured. But also, I don't think it's fair to say Richburg was considered an awful contract at the time. Most people had him pretty highly regarded as a center and though his contract puts him in the top 10(or 5), i'd still hold my breath out for him being worth it. Overpayed? sure, doesn't mean it's awful.  Juice is worth it imo. He's illustrated his usefulness to the point where he's clearly not just a FB. I find it really hard to criticize a guy who is clearly the best at his position in the league, despite that position not existing on some teams. 

These are symptoms of a bigger problem as a whole. You can look at any one individual contract and say oh, it's not all that bad...but when you look at the whole, the fact of the matter is, we are giving much worse contracts than good ones. 

I think I view the context of these contracts differently.  We signed a lot of these guys when had to deal with a massive amount of turnover from what was objectively one of the worst FO's ever in NFL history.  We had to pay many people to come in and make us seem remotely competent as an NFL team. We've had some awful luck combined with some hard lessons, but I think as we start to acquire more talent through the draft ( which we have consistently done, albeit not perfectly) we will become less aggressive in free agency and thus, we won't sign as many bad contracts. Because most contracts signed in FA aren't good.  So no though it's not great, I think injuries have played a bigger part than even the biggest pessimist can expect and I don't think we'll continue to see a trend in the coming years of us going out and overpaying Garcon/Smith caliber players. edit: missed the other big point of this paragraph. None of these contracts have or will hurt us at all long term. Kwon may be the first depending on the structure, and obviously if Jimmy G doesn't live up to it, we're just screwed in general. But none of these contracts you listed are going to have long term ramifications for us. I would be much more concerned about these contracts if we didn't have Paraag fairly consistently structuring them greatly to our benefit. 

Also worth noting they've also brought in guys on good value and traded guys for good value. Gotta name the good with the bad. Goodwin was good value, Ku'ann was solid value (though not sure on the restructure), Tartt was extended at good value, Person, Fusco, Tomlinson & Tomlinson(though the fifth still feels steep on some level). Add in some other nice pickups like Sherman (great value) Sheldon Day, 

Also, @Forge the 49ers are not falling for any sunk cost fallacy. Even though they do commit hard after guys, they certainly don't stick with mistakes when they've made them. That's a pretty big deal considering how often we see GM's commit to just god awful players for long periods of time. 

1 minute ago, John232 said:

Also, @Forge the 49ers are not falling for any sunk cost fallacy. Even though they do commit hard after guys, they certainly don't stick with mistakes when they've made them. That's a pretty big deal considering how often we see GM's commit to just god awful players for long periods of time. 

Yeah, that's great. I'll give them credit for that. these contracts still factor into things such as roll over, and that matters. But giving them credit for admitting mistakes does not remove the mistake...particularly when you keep making it. 

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

16 to 17 a year....supposedly 

Yeah, we're going to be scraping the bargain bin for edge rushers. Luckily, there's actually good options in said bin. 

But man..I just really want us to lock down ET or Amos. Just please please please do that. 

Just now, John232 said:

Yeah, we're going to be scraping the bargain bin for edge rushers. Luckily, there's actually good options in said bin. 

But man..I just really want us to lock down ET or Amos. Just please please please do that. 

All is forgiven with Kwon if we land ET. I'm dead serious about that too. 

Just now, Forge said:

All is forgiven with Kwon if we land ET. I'm dead serious about that too. 

Yes!!! 

But at the very least I need Clinton-Dix or Amos. 

Then would be fine by finishing it off signing guys like Barrett or Ansah or Z. Smith. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

I still think Ziggy is the most likely. Just a lot of things that make sense there given who we have on staff. Plus, one year prove it deal....just makes a lot of sense. And I'm perfectly okay if that's who we land. 

Archived