Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

Just now, ravishingone said:

It all started with Parcells.  The Niners and Shanny added abnormal contract length. 

But you don't see it anymore except for guys like BB in New England. It's three or four years and if you don't meet expectations in a year or two you're gone.

A contract like Gruden's all but guarantees like six or seven years. Maybe more.

44 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

But you don't see it anymore except for guys like BB in New England. It's three or four years and if you don't meet expectations in a year or two you're gone.

A contract like Gruden's all but guarantees like six or seven years. Maybe more.

Reid won a power struggle with Dorsey in KC, but I get what you re writing.  All HCs have egos, some might not need to have the stroke of being the man, hard to say.  

Harbaugh makes a lot of sense with the Glazers.  If it happens, I hope ir works out because they are not selling the team anytime soon.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Reid won a power struggle with Dorsey in KC, but I get what you re writing.  All HCs have egos, some might not need to have the stroke of being the man, hard to say.  

Harbaugh makes a lot of sense with the Glazers.  If it happens, I hope ir works out because they are not selling the team anytime soon.

Constant success helps. Like you said, it didn't start out that way.

6 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Constant success helps. Like you said, it didn't start out that way.

The Harbaugh situation is fascinating.  Unlike Saben, he had success in the pros.  What 10 yds away from a SB.  Michigan is back to being relevent, but if he can t beat Ohio State next season, alumni are going to run out of patience.  

He s still young enough if he goes back to the pros and fails, he can land another high profile college job.  I think he only comes back if he has the QB already in place.  I never under estimate ego when there is someone who is willing to pay you and give you power.  

It s a fun way to kick off the HC search with this rumor at the very least.

15 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

The Harbaugh situation is fascinating.  Unlike Saben, he had success in the pros.  What 10 yds away from a SB.  Michigan is back to being relevent, but if he can t beat Ohio State next season, alumni are going to run out of patience.  

He s still young enough if he goes back to the pros and fails, he can land another high profile college job.  I think he only comes back if he has the QB already in place.  I never under estimate ego when there is someone who is willing to pay you and give you power.  

It s a fun way to kick off the HC search with this rumor at the very least.

I’d approve Harbaugh. Big name, always has stout defensive units and knows how to make most out his offensive units. Has a ton of connections would be easy for him to bring in a quality staff. Glazers need to show up with a blank check.

My problem with Harbaugh's scUM teams is they're B1G teams 100%. They've all been built with defense and a running game. That's not really an easy formula to win with in the NFL.

Harbs has yet to really develop a QB and that was supposed to be his thing after Luck and Kaep. If Jameis isn't the answer, then what?

Jim’s offenses haven’t been really innovative and have actually been average at best despite him being an offensive guy. His defenses are tough and his teams will hit you in the mouth. I wonder if his offense would work in today’s NFL or if he’d be able to adapt?

Side note, if the Glazers go after Jim Harbaugh I fully expect Licht to be kept as GM and he’ll essentially just be a scout as Jim will have full control.

14 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

My problem with Harbaugh's scUM teams is they're B1G teams 100%. They've all been built with defense and a running game. That's not really an easy formula to win with in the NFL.

Harbs has yet to really develop a QB and that was supposed to be his thing after Luck and Kaep. If Jameis isn't the answer, then what?

You know it is a recruiting game in college, what does 5 star really mean?  Little bit easier to acquire talent in the pros, then competing at the HS level.  

The next HC is going to be hired to fix the QB position right now.  If it.shows he failed, he ll be fired early and the Glazers will try again.  You know the drill.  😉

Seattle is a playoff team running the ball more then passing.  They are running the ball over 50 percent for the season.  Whose really the most important piece on the Rams?  Good discussion.

Not a fan of Harbaugh..   but there are definitely other HCs that would be worse.

I just question his time at Mich.  For him being an offensive guy and QB guru or whatever his Offense has been really underwhelming throughout the years and they have mainly relied on their defense to win games.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

You know it is a recruiting game in college, what does 5 star really mean?  Little bit easier to acquire talent in the pros, then competing at the HS level.  

The next HC is going to be hired to fix the QB position right now.  If it.shows he failed, he ll be fired early and the Glazers will try again.  You know the drill.  😉

Seattle is a playoff team running the ball more then passing.  They are running the ball over 50 percent for the season.  Whose really the most important piece on the Rams?  Good discussion.

I get that. But Harbs has been there long enough to get the QBs he's wanted and he's had a couple years to work with them. Shea Patterson is a third day pick, at best. Harbs has basically developed a bunch of more mobile, peak Mike Glennons at QB for his whole tenure. 

Now if he brings in an offensive guy and lets him do his thing a little bit, I'd be ok with Harbs. But at that point, I think I'd rather have Richard. I don't doubt Harbs' ability to build and run a defense. That aggressive man coverage is really fun to watch and puts a lot of pressure on QBs. It's the offense I'd be worried about.

12 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I get that. But Harbs has been there long enough to get the QBs he's wanted and he's had a couple years to work with them. Shea Patterson is a third day pick, at best. Harbs has basically developed a bunch of more mobile, peak Mike Glennons at QB for his whole tenure. 

Now if he brings in an offensive guy and lets him do his thing a little bit, I'd be ok with Harbs. But at that point, I think I'd rather have Richard. I don't doubt Harbs' ability to build and run a defense. That aggressive man coverage is really fun to watch and puts a lot of pressure on QBs. It's the offense I'd be worried about.

I dont know I think you re reading way too much into recruiting.  Tua is going to be the first Bama Qb taken before Day 3 during Saben s tenure.  I do understand the point.

I get the Richard intrigue, but I have more reservations about him then Harbaugh.  Here s my concern.  If Richard was all that why would Carroll who has been to 2 Super Bowls not retain him for Ken Norton? I don t have an answer, but if it takes a fat check and power to get Harbaugh sign me up over Richard.  I won t be disappointed with Richard, but I hope the Glazers at least make the call to Harbaugh 1 or 2.

35 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't care about the Peyton part. But rumors of a president of operations is intriguing.

If a president is the course of action, I would assume that person will be announced before Black Monday. Who else besides Manning? Derrick Brooks is an obvious choice. Ronde supposedly already has an office at OBP.  Ron Wolf first GM of the Bucs.  Ted Thompson is semi retired.  

If they go President, I think the Glazers would go with a former GM.

22 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

If a president is the course of action, I would assume that person will be announced before Black Monday. Who else besides Manning? Derrick Brooks is an obvious choice. Ronde supposedly already has an office at OBP.  Ron Wolf first GM of the Bucs.  Ted Thompson is semi retired.  

If they go President, I think the Glazers would go with a former GM.

My first thought was Brooks.

49 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

My first thought was Brooks.

Brooks would have a similiar path as Elway.  Run an arena league team then make the jump.  However, I see 2 possible reasons it won t be Brooks.  Brooks has nt really been involved with the organization since he got cut.  I get a feeling the relationship is cordial.  Second, if they go the President route, he better have a track record of being able to evaluate a QB because in theory he ll be able to pick a regime that can evaluate and develop a QB.  The QB position really is the primary concern heading into the offseason.  I don t think Brooks fits the profile.

Archived