Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

43 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Bye, Dirk. 

We got a whif of this when Smith was fried. David’s candor is appreciated but also shocking. Aside from this regime he hasn’t felt like a coach really cared in 7 seasons? I’m stretching that but damn. 

A qualification for simply getting an interview from the Glazers better be coaches who give a crap about player input and shaping the scheme to player strengths.

4 hours ago, ravishingone said:

This is some terrific information on the potential GM candidates.  Basically, I have no clue where the Glazers will go.  😀

Yea I was looking and Brian Xanders seems intriguing because of his time with the Broncos...  He helped assemble some great teams and they had some great drafts.

What I like about the GM article it highlights how the hiring process usually involves who the owner knows directly or is recommended by someone they trust.

The Glazers have follwed that path for the last 3 GMs.  Allen with Gruden, Dom internal, and Licht interviewed for Chicago when Lovie was there.  So if they go GM first, it makes sense that Brian Xanders and Ryan Cowden would be on the short list.   If they go HC first, pretty confident the GM will have already worked with new HC previously.  

Either way they need to move quickly.  Schiano was hired so late, the assistant pool was really depleted when he started assembling his staff.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

What I like about the GM article it highlights how the hiring process usually involves who the owner knows directly or is recommended by someone they trust.

The Glazers have follwed that path for the last 3 GMs.  Allen with Gruden, Dom internal, and Licht interviewed for Chicago when Lovie was there.  So if they go GM first, it makes sense that Brian Xanders and Ryan Cowden would be on the short list.   If they go HC first, pretty confident the GM will have already worked with new HC previously.  

Either way they need to move quickly.  Schiano was hired so late, the assistant pool was really depleted when he started assembling his staff.

Hopefully the Glazers hire a GM first and hopefully it’s within the 1st week of the wild card playoffs. You’d have to think they’ve already got a short list of candidates they want to interview and those candidates will already have HC options when they pitch to the Glazers along with how they would shape the team.

Id agree that he biggest connection is “somebody the Glazers know or linked to someone they have known.” I also found it interesting that that article mentioned it’s very rare for a GM to get a 2nd chance in the NFL and it’s usually 3-4 interviews before a first time candidate officially get the nod. Xanders could make a lot of sense but I think the pendulum swings to a first time candidate who has some link to ownership.

17 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Hopefully the Glazers hire a GM first and hopefully it’s within the 1st week of the wild card playoffs. You’d have to think they’ve already got a short list of candidates they want to interview and those candidates will already have HC options when they pitch to the Glazers along with how they would shape the team.

Id agree that he biggest connection is “somebody the Glazers know or linked to someone they have known.” I also found it interesting that that article mentioned it’s very rare for a GM to get a 2nd chance in the NFL and it’s usually 3-4 interviews before a first time candidate officially get the nod. Xanders could make a lot of sense but I think the pendulum swings to a first time candidate who has some link to ownership.

You and I spoke earlier about Joe Douglas.  You were correct a team can block a candidate for interviewing for a job if they choose.  So there is a possible added twist to the search.  

I have little doubt they have their list ready.  Just a matter of how much influence the new GM has in hiring the new HC.  The range being from very little to total control.  History has shown very little control in hiring the new HC, maybe that is a change.

On 12/11/2018 at 12:11 PM, REDandPEWTER said:

But how do we know he’d be a great HC ! Or even good when he’s had no success in the nfl ? 

And you can nit-pick the eagles two year stint. 

Sean Payton had his play calling taken away when on the Giants under Fassel. 

2 hours ago, Caaddy24 said:

Sean Payton had his play calling taken away when on the Giants under Fassel. 

I get it. And I get we have to take a risk. But the bucs have been swinging and missing for years. 

As fans we tend to analyze to make sure this next Selection, GM and coach, needs to be a hit. 

16 hours ago, ravishingone said:

This was a good read on Fangio. He seems to understand offenses are changing. If he brought the defensive and hard nosed mentality to the team and got an innovatice offensive mind that wasn’t afraid to take chances, he could be a winner for a number of years. If he’s in good health who cares that he’s 60.

15 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

This was a good read on Fangio. He seems to understand offenses are changing. If he brought the defensive and hard nosed mentality to the team and got an innovatice offensive mind that wasn’t afraid to take chances, he could be a winner for a number of years. If he’s in good health who cares that he’s 60.

Great read and I like Fangio. I felt like his opportunities to be a head coach should’ve come years ago after his success in San Fransico. Kinda got screwed when they chose tomosulu. 

I would like that nasty defense here in Tampa and if he brings a quality offensive staff here I’m all for it. Who would be his OC? 

The only way Monken stays is if he has a completely different approach than Koetter. 

Archived