Week 5: New Orleans Saints - MNF

Ghostnote

Run the ball but don’t rely on the run

I’m hearing a lot of talk that the key will be for the Redskins to run the ball and control the clock, keeping Drew Brees on the sideline. Well, I heard a lot of that before the game against Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. And the Redskins won by 14 despite having a two-minute disadvantage in time of possession and running 11 fewer offensive plays than Green Bay. Yes, they also got 166 rushing yards, so the ground game helped. But they need to score however they can whether the drive takes two minutes like their first TD drive against the Packers did or six minutes like their second one did. 

Get off to a fast start

The Redskins have outscored the opposition 49-10 in the first halves of their two wins. Getting off to a fast start will be even more important tonight. That Superdome gets loud when the Saints are rolling. The visitors won’t have to jump out two a two-touchdown lead. Last year, the Redskins kept the fans nervous with an early D.J. Swearinger interception and by taking first-half leads of 10-3 and 17-10. They didn’t get really loud again until, well, you know when. 

It’s better if Josh Doctson (questionable, heel) plays

Whenever I tweeted an update about Doctson’s injury I got replies saying that it didn’t matter, the 2016 first-round pick hasn’t done much this year anyway. And it’s true, Doctson has barely made a dent with his five receptions for 48 yards. 

A strong finish?

As I have noted a few times this week that the Saints’ pass defense is not very good. They allow more yards per pass attempt (9.6) than Brees gains per pass attempt (8.0). You have to think that Alex Smith will be able to take advantage of this. And I think that the Redskins’ secondary, in the top five in key defensive metrics, will contain Brees. By that I mean he won’t go off for around 400 yards like he has twice this year.

If the game unfolds like that, it will come down to two things. First, can they contain Alvin Kamara, who is averaging 153 yards from scrimmage per game? And can they finish what they start? They weren’t able to do either last year and they saw a big lead melt away. Will things be different this year?

Redskins 31, Saints 27

3 hours ago, TKellion said:

With a 2 game lead in division on the line we will probably go out and lay an egg. Saints 38-24. Sure hope they prove me wrong.

I thought the exact same thing. Fortunately, we will still be in first place in the NFC East no matter what happens tonight.

How nice would it be to distance ourselves from the pack though...

I think we have a shot at beating the Saints. New Orleans defense has allowed 11 throwing scores in 2018 ranked 28th in the NFL in pass def.
Saints are missing their slot CB out for the season. The Saints allowed slot WRs Sterling Shepard Mohamed Sanu to have big days. I would attack this area  early and often.

Now I am more of a run first to establish the pass but sometimes you have to alter your approach. Saints are pretty  could at covering opp's TE  but they have given up 11 passing TD's. Richardson should be the focal point of the deep passing game. I'm not saying we need to abandon the RG no!!!!!!!!!!. The stats I  previously mentioned tells me alot about the Saints def. I saw the Falcons and Tampa bay games. What I am saying we need to pass more on first and 10. Teams average more yards per pass on first down than any other down. Stopping Bress and company is almost impossible . So we have to  come out firing, right from the very first series, and don’t let up until the game is in hand. 

One of those games where this team has a chance to step up into the top of the league. We know how these usually go and the Saints are tough in the dome. It’s like pick your poison trying to stop Mike Thomas (best in the business this year) or Kamara. I said a week ago they need to run the ball to keep Brees off the field. This is especially true late in the game. Get the feeling our skins are gonna need a big play on specials like a blocked punt or a big turnover to get it done. 

hoping against hope

Skins 34

Saints 28

21 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

One of those games where this team has a chance to step up into the top of the league. We know how these usually go and the Saints are tough in the dome. It’s like pick your poison trying to stop Mike Thomas (best in the business this year) or Kamara. I said a week ago they need to run the ball to keep Brees off the field. This is especially true late in the game. Get the feeling our skins are gonna need a big play on specials like a blocked punt or a big turnover to get it done. 

hoping against hope

Skins 34

Saints 28

I concur. We have a chance to elevate to the top of the NFL. Our Skins really have chance  to make a statement to the world of the NFL. Interesting you brought ST. I am an George Allen type and understand the importance of ST's. We had a chance to beat them last yr but wechoked on that 3 and 1 late in the game. If we make that 1st down, game is over remember. That's why I like what McVay did yesterday vs the Seahawks. Convert the 4th down and get the game over with. Hope we can  stop the bad tackling fiasco and  stop choking when we are in close games. Red zone issues can be solved with some kind of RG. Kicking FG's will not get it done vs Brees and company

Lot's of long faced Cowboy fan's down here in Big D and I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope we can some how win tonight, that would make things that much better. LO

Archived