Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

1999 Week 4 Washington Redskins (3-1) at Arizona Cardinals (2-3)

This is basically Champ Bailey's breakout performance as a rookie. He nabs three interceptions off of Jake Plummer and Dave Brown in addition to having a pick six. Interestingly enough, three HOF corners played in this game: Champ Bailey, Darrell Green, and Aeneas Williams. The Cardinals defense actually plays a good game despite the final score. Unfortunately, the Cardinals inability to generate any offense, and the turnovers was eventually too much for their defense to contain the Redskins. Larry Centers also returns to Arizona for the first time to face his old team, where he had spent the prior nine seasons establishing himself as a versatile pass catching fullback. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Retrospective on the Oakland Raiders collapse from the early 2000's. I honestly thought the 2005 team would get back on track with Collins and Moss as the exiled veterans poppin off in the Black Hole. Nope.

The guy who makes those vids sends you down a wormhole every time you watch one.  They’re addicting lol.

2005 Week 13 Cincinnati Bengals (8-3) at Pittsburgh Steelers (7-4)

Good game. Probably Marvin Lewis' best team. The Bengals winning in Pittsburgh here to get the sweep was huge, and it really looked like the Bengals franchise had turned around after being so bad in the 90's. I thought Palmer was going to the next big star in the NFL. Of course later on, he got hurt in the playoffs, and other aspects of the Bengals soon crumbled as well. David Pollack got hurt, Odell Thurman had substance problems, and Chris Henry died a few years later. Even if Palmer doesn't get hurt, and they beat the Steelers, I'm not sure how far they go. Their defense wasn't that great, but just had a crazy year getting a ton of turnovers. I don't think they make it past the Colts and Denver. Palmer did bounce back, but I think he would have had a better career if he was with a better organization. As for the Steelers of course, they looked lost when they fell to 7-5, but of course went on a tear to win the Super Bowl by not losing another game. Just completely flipped the switch. 

2008 Week 4 Baltimore Ravens (2-0) at Pittsburgh Steelers (2-1)

Joe Flacco's first trip to Pittsburgh. Great game that set the tone for the future. Little did we know at the time this would be not only the best rivalry in the NFL for the next few years, but one of the best rivalries in sports history. 2008 to 2012 was such an awesome run, and it was refreshing to see two defensive powerhouses in an era that was shifting more and more towards offensive domination. I wish my 49ers had one of these defenses now. Both squads were loaded. 

Edited by PapaShogun

1985 Week 10 San Francisco 49ers (5-4) at Denver Broncos (6-3)

First meeting between Montana and Elway. MNF game in the cold too. Pretty good game overall with only one turnover, and limited penalties. Both defenses have a shining goal line stand. This is also remembered as the "snow ball" game, because right before halftime a Broncos fan threw a snowball onto the field as the backup QB Matt Cavanaugh was fielding the ball as placeholder for Ray Wersching's field goal attempt, which was essentially a chip shot. The kick missed, and the 49ers walked into the locker room without any points. That field goal would come to haunt the team as they lost by a score of 17-16. Today, the kick would probably be redone, and/or a flag would be thrown for unsportsmanlike conduct. Guessing that is. Different times indeed. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

1987 Cleveland Browns (7-3) at San Francisco 49ers (8-2)

Nice SNF game. I believe it was the first SNF broadcast for ESPN. Montana vs. Kosar. Walsh vs. Schottenheimer. These were two heavyweights in the NFL that season, especially the 49ers. Both teams had a good offense, and good defense. The Browns actually put up a good fight, and hang with the 49ers until the 4th. This was the year Jerry Rice had an NFL record 22 receiving touchdowns, and Joe Montana had over 30 passing touchdowns.

Saints fans might want to look away.

2003 Week 17 New Orleans Saints (7-7) at Jacksonville Jaguars (4-10) 

Saints come into with fading playoff hopes, and come up with a miracle play to beat the Jaguars, only to be upended by a blunder that closes the door on their season. Game is also known as the River City Relay game. 

I've been watching old Montana film. Amazing how lately it seems ANY playoff game I want to find, I can on YT with ease. Wasn't the case only 2-3 years ago. Even plenty of regular season matchups are on YT, pretty much every single one from the 21st century that anyone would want to watch. Unfortunately quality is usually poor unless its' an NFL upload, but to be expected.

I didn't realize how fast Joe was, I knew he could move in the pocket but quite a few plays he'll take off for the 1st and turn the jets on and he looks as fast as prime Rodgers to me.

• Like 1