#WeFiredBruceAllen!!!

MKnight82

On 9/16/2019 at 1:36 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

Well, and the fact that Gruden used a job interview to tell Wade Phillips his offense was better than Wade's defense, and the fact that no good defensive coordinators or coaches want to work for a lameduck head coach, not to mention the environment that Snyder breeds in Washington.  The only time we can get good coaches are the ones we grow from the ground up like O'Connell, or like Tomsula who need any sort of chance to rehabilitate their image. 

o'connels play calling has been horrible for us this year.

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/sep/1/how-redskins-are-bucking-one-nfl-trend-2019/

O’Connell, who at 34 is just eight months older than McVay, is clearly part of that trend — with one key difference. The Redskins want the cutting-edge offensive schemes, but the guy calling the plays this season will still be Jay Gruden, whose seat has never been hotter in his sixth year as the head coach.

Fifteen teams have new play-callers, according to sports website The Ringer, since the start of last season, but the Redskins — despite finishing 29th in offensive efficiency in 2018 — aren’t among them.

Sitting on a couch inside the Redskins’ facility, Gruden said no when asked if he seriously considered relinquishing play-calling duties.

“It’s what I like to do. So… what the (heck)?” he laughed.

37 minutes ago, mar29020 said:

@turtle28 said it was O' Connel i believe.

O’Connell was supposed to call the plays, I don’t know who is calling them for sure. Callahan is supposed to be the run game coordinator but who actually knows if that’s the case. Callahan’s run game was good in dallas so, I question if we are running what Callahan wants to run or if Gruden is mandating that we do what he did in Cinncy. Whatever it is, it ain’t working.

4 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

JP Finlay had an interesting take on the Junkies today...

Jay Gruden hires and keeps guys like Barry and Manusky because they aren't a threat to his job. Granted they aren't helping him keep it either, but it was an interesting theory. 

Hasn’t that been everyone’s theory all along? I know I’ve heard it mentioned before by Sheehan. 

On 9/18/2019 at 8:09 AM, MikeT14 said:

JP Finlay had an interesting take on the Junkies today...

Jay Gruden hires and keeps guys like Barry and Manusky because they aren't a threat to his job. Granted they aren't helping him keep it either, but it was an interesting theory. 

In a sense, Joe Barry deserved another shot to prove himself as a DC, because I can't fault anyone for the dumpster fire that those Lions teams were when he was there.  I actually thought he might do well for us.  Manusky is Manusky, and had three stints with three teams as a DC, so I get that theory for him.  

Gruden limiting himself to the Tampa Bay coaching tree is probably the worst decision possible.  And hiring guys because they aren't a threat to his job would be an even worse decision.  You should want innovators who are going to push the envelope and keep things cutting edge.  You should want to be a coaching farm like some of the coaching trees are out there.  But instead we get this.  

• Like 1

On 9/19/2019 at 10:51 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

In a sense, Joe Barry deserved another shot to prove himself as a DC, because I can't fault anyone for the dumpster fire that those Lions teams were when he was there.  I actually thought he might do well for us.  Manusky is Manusky, and had three stints with three teams as a DC, so I get that theory for him.  

Gruden limiting himself to the Tampa Bay coaching tree is probably the worst decision possible.  And hiring guys because they aren't a threat to his job would be an even worse decision.  You should want innovators who are going to push the envelope and keep things cutting edge.  You should want to be a coaching farm like some of the coaching trees are out there.  But instead we get this.  

Bingo. I'm a pretty smart guy and fairly technical. But I love hiring people smarter than me because I want THEM to do the job instead of me. This frees me up to focus on the whole organization.

I go by the old adage of "if I'm the smartest person in the room, I'm in the wrong room."

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Bingo. I'm a pretty smart guy and fairly technical. But I love hiring people smarter than me because I want THEM to do the job instead of me. This frees me up to focus on the whole organization.

I go by the old adage of "if I'm the smartest person in the room, I'm in the wrong room."

I just had that conversation with someone on my team who finished a project.  Its something that I hate doing, and I was glad to have him around this time to get it implemented.  

• Like 1