Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

22 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

I agree. Grier was my guy this season if he is there in the third pull the trigger. I just feel like there’s so much defensive talent round one or a guy like Harry it be had to justify the talent in rd 1 to select a QB. I do like Murray and jones but there’s players I wouldn’t pass on for those guys!!!! 

I don't see how Will Grier falls to the 3rd considering how weak the class is. At worst he's a 2nd round pick IMO.

I want a pocket passing QB, not an athlete who can throw. I like Murray a lot, it's just not the type of QB I want for the Redskins and I'm not convinced a QB who scambles a lot like Murray lasts long term in the NFL. Russell Wilson is an aberration, not the rule for those types of QBs.

I'd take most all the other projected 1st round QBs over him and most of the other players in other positions.

4 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I actually think there’s a good chance Daniel Jones ends up being the best QB out of this draft class. I wouldn’t mind him being our pick. Would rather have Lock but Jones is extremely talented. 

But that might not mean much in the scheme of things.  I don't want us to force the QB issue in a weak draft, and at the very least, Bruce Allen is predictable and shouldn't overdraft one.  

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

But that might not mean much in the scheme of things.  I don't want us to force the QB issue in a weak draft, and at the very least, Bruce Allen is predictable and shouldn't overdraft one.  

I just don’t agree that this is a weak QB class. I’ve never agreed with that narrative. Haskins, Lock, Jones, Murray and Grier are all pretty good prospects. Or you can wait until the third and get a project like Tyree Jackson. 

And to be fair, I think we end up somewhere around 7 wins again next year. The defense will get better with Rueben Foster and the offense is certainly going to improve with a new LG and Guice, Peterson and Thompson. I really don’t think we’ll be bad enough to end up with one of the top QBs next year because they refuse to tank. 

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I actually think there’s a good chance Daniel Jones ends up being the best QB out of this draft class. I wouldn’t mind him being our pick. Would rather have Lock but Jones is extremely talented. 

Yeah, Jones is big strong, accurate and smart. He a not going to be a flashy qb but I'm with you that he'll be consistent and could end up being the most successful.

Haskins and Lock have the most talent and upside though. If they live up to their potential, they'll be perennial pro bowlers and two of the best QBs in the league throughout their careers.

25 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I just don’t agree that this is a weak QB class. I’ve never agreed with that narrative. Haskins, Lock, Jones, Murray and Grier are all pretty good prospects. Or you can wait until the third and get a project like Tyree Jackson. 

And to be fair, I think we end up somewhere around 7 wins again next year. The defense will get better with Rueben Foster and the offense is certainly going to improve with a new LG and Guice, Peterson and Thompson. I really don’t think we’ll be bad enough to end up with one of the top QBs next year because they refuse to tank. 

There's not two elite QB prospects in the draft and the draft is not overly deep with talent. It's a fine QB draft class, but it's nothing compared to some of the best ones.

I mean, in 2012, Foles was a late 3rd, Wilson was a late 3rd and Cousins was a 4th. Then of course there's Luck and RG3 was going good until the injuries and his ego derailed his career.

If Herbert had come out, I’d have this QB draft call as a good draft class but he didn't. If he had come out, that means maybe 3 QBs in the top 10 like last year and definitely 4 in the first round, and maybe 5 like last year if a guy like Grier or Murray sneak into the end of the first round, but Herbert didn't come out, so it knocks the QB class down a peg.

In fact, at this point - which I agree is way too early - there's arguments going on as to if there is even a top 10 QB in this class. Now, I don't agree with that because by the time the draft rolls around teams will fall in love with a few of them, but those discussions are going on right know and that was never the case with the 2011, 2012 or 2017 draft classes.

On 1/13/2019 at 9:57 AM, turtle28 said:

I don't see how Will Grier falls to the 3rd considering how weak the class is. At worst he's a 2nd round pick IMO.

Yeah I can’t see Grier lasting till the 3rd but if he did I mean sometimes teams get caught up drafting the value of the draft is what I would do and if that value is at QB at some point then take one. But don’t force it!!!! 

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Welp, our QB just declared for the draft. And don’t kid yourselves, if he’s there at 15, he’s a Redskin. Bruce and Dan are salivating. 

Sadly, I think you are right.  He wants $15 million from the Athletics to stay in baseball, and while MLB is open to it, the Athletics don't have that kind of money sitting around.  Murray is another bust waiting to happen like RGIII.  

Archived