Is it too early to focus on the 19 draft?

Doc Draper

1 minute ago, PARROTHEAD said:

Heres something that could actually happen.

2nd round. Were sitting there and the 2 top RBs are available in Josh Jacobs and/or Damien Harris. Do you take that BPA, (because they likely would be) save money from having to sign AP. Or avoid for one of our many needs like OL WR?

Personally. I think itd be stupid to pass up on one if theyre my BPA sitting there with Guice unproven himself.

With the year AP had, he's going to sign in the FA period.  

I'm of the opinion that you should never not draft BPA, but you also have to remember that no team can scout all of the players, and if they are committed to Guice, Peterson and Thompson this season, they could weight their board so that RB prospects aren't as high up.  However, given that Guice has not proven himself and that Thompson and another RB could be a FA after 2019, I wouldn't mind drafting one of those players if they are BPA.  

The Redskins need as much talent as possible, they can't afford to draft on need right now.  

4 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

yes, he was much different when he was in an offense specifically designed by Shanny to maximize his skills and minimize his weaknesses. Two issues: That offense though was brutal on a quarterback who was so slight in build as he got repeatedly blown up on zone reads even when he handed the ball off which meant he wouldn't long and then he got in into his head that he wanted to be a pure pocket passer- we all see how that worked out. . 

He had years to go before being a pocket passer. I didn’t realize how far away he was but it’s quite obvious now how detrimental Briles offense is to a developing QB. 

2 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

He had years to go before being a pocket passer. I didn’t realize how far away he was but it’s quite obvious now how detrimental Briles offense is to a developing QB. 

Not just that. But arriving here was the first time RG ever had to understand a playbook. Briles would run 7-10 plays a game. And in prep all they did all week was practice those plays, and those plays only. RG was left with a ton of work to do off field just in understanding how to be a pro qb.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I always thought he should’ve been brought along slower than he was. It was hard for the Shanahan’s - they needed to save their job and ran RG3 into the ground as a rookie trying to do it - and for our owner the FanBoy - who wanted to sell tickets - bc RG3 as a rookie was so fast, athletic and had a good arm but, they should’ve sat him until he was a better pocket passer or until Grossman had thrown up on himself over and over - so, a month tops! Lol 😂 

I felt as a prospect that RG3 needed years to develop as a pocket passer and it would take him time to develop. I told people they needed to be patient with his development because it’s going to take a few years. Then, RG3 had all the success right away bc of the zone read and that slow development was out the window. He didn’t want to do it and the fans didn’t want to wait for his development after year one anymore. 

I didn’t want to give up on RG3’s development so soon but they did need to make a decision between him and Kirk, and it’s hard to argue that McCloughan and Gruden weren’t right with going with Kirk over RG3 in 2015.

With RG having so much success so soon, it was similar to a young musician selling a lot of albums in their teens or early 20s or a young movie star becoming a mega star overnight and not knowing how to handle it.

Griffin didn’t know how to handle his fame, he let it all go to his head and everyone around him enabled him, from his parents to his agent to his handlers, etc, especially Mr. Fan Boy himself - Dan Snyder!

16 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

yes, he was much different when he was in an offense specifically designed by Shanny to maximize his skills and minimize his weaknesses. Two issues: That offense though was brutal on a quarterback who was so slight in build as he got repeatedly blown up on zone reads even when he handed the ball off which meant he wouldn't long and then he got in into his head that he wanted to be a pure pocket passer- we all see how that worked out. . 

This is true, but it’s also true that the Shanahan’s used RG3 to try to win games immediately to try to save their jobs bc their first two seasons they hade a combined 11 wins, while they dumped a past his prime, but still average QB in McNabb and staked their reputations on Beck and Grossman... how’d that work out? They won one less game than McNabb did in 2011 with a better overall team, especially a better defense and receiving weapons.

Anyways, if the Shanahan’s cared about the long term health of RG3 and winning games for a decade, they wouldn’t have used the zone read as much in 2012 and would have started developing RG3 as a pocket passer as a rookie. It probably would’ve meant no playoffs in 2012 and no 2012 division championship but RG3 would’ve started to develop as a pocket passer and would’ve been healthy for the 2013 offseason to develop even more if that had happened.

1 hour ago, ripsean21 said:

Yeah I know it sucks!!!!! This team seriously needs some luck!!!!

I love the depth of this class. If were 7 or 15.  I think we can come away with the same talent level of player. Byron, Sweat, AJ, Greedy, Polite and such.  Great class. Me with no worries.

23 minutes ago, PARROTHEAD said:

I love the depth of this class. If were 7 or 15.  I think we can come away with the same talent level of player. Byron, Sweat, AJ, Greedy, Polite and such.  Great class. Me with no worries.

True, but at the same you'd like to have your favorite prospect of that group instead of your 5th or 6th favorite of that group.

15 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Until you remember we need a QB and will likely trade up for one 

We don’t have to trade up to draft a QB bc we can wait while we roll with average to below average QBs and a rookie we draft after round 1 to develop. I would not trade up for anyone but Haskins and it’s going to cost too much to get into the top 5, and probably up to #1.

56 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We don’t have to trade up to draft a QB bc we can wait while we roll with average to below average QBs and a rookie we draft after round 1 to develop. I would not trade up for anyone but Haskins and it’s going to cost too much to get into the top 5, and probably up to #1.

CBS Sports already ran a report that the Redskins really like Kyler Murray and could be looking to trade up to secure his services.  

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Do you have any idea how rare it is for a QB outside of round 1 to develop into anything? I feel like the Kirk situation blinded all Redskins fans into believing you can just draft a QB after the third round and develop him into a starter. I’m not saying you believe this turtle I’m just speaking in general terms. 

Archived