When VJ gets fired

jsthomp2007

7 hours ago, germ-x said:

A name that isn’t getting talked about,  but will soon is New Orleans TEs coach Dan Campbell.  He has HC experience in the interim with the Dolphins in 2015 and went 5-7.  While the TEs coach he also serves as the Saints Assistant HC.

Aside from being a coordinator, he checks a lot of boxes.  Has experience managing an entire team, even if it is 12 games.  Former player that understands what guys are going through, also is well respected by his players.  Has experience under multiple HCs (Tony Sparano, Joe Philbin, Sean Payton) all of whom have different approaches to the game.  

Campbell is probably my favorite candidate right now.

My question with Campbell is, who calls the plays on offense?

9 hours ago, germ-x said:

A name that isn’t getting talked about,  but will soon is New Orleans TEs coach Dan Campbell.  He has HC experience in the interim with the Dolphins in 2015 and went 5-7.  While the TEs coach he also serves as the Saints Assistant HC.

Aside from being a coordinator, he checks a lot of boxes.  Has experience managing an entire team, even if it is 12 games.  Former player that understands what guys are going through, also is well respected by his players.  Has experience under multiple HCs (Tony Sparano, Joe Philbin, Sean Payton) all of whom have different approaches to the game.  

How many coaching spots are open this year?

12 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Apart from Denver

Already open: Green Bay, Cleveland

Likely openings: NY Jets, Arizona, Tampa

Most likely we have 6 openings this year. There could be a surprise 7th firing 

On 12/24/2018 at 2:39 AM, thebestever6 said:

Doug Pederson was considered the least qualified candidate by Mike Lombardi. And was the last ranked coaching candidate of that coaching cropped by every major website.  

The hot coach is such a flawed fallacy they're out there. Trust me.

Mike Lombardi is also a complete idiot. No one should take him seriously. 

On 12/24/2018 at 9:22 AM, paul-mac said:

Because of Elway's influence both in terms of dealing with the media/fans, and also the fact he runs all the personnel department, the whole "CEO"/leader of men factor is a bit overrated here and for the first time since the McDaniels hiring, I think we should look at a hot co-ordinator. In particular I'd like to look at some kind of QB guru, given the success of your Matt Nagy's and your Sean McVay's and your Doug Pederson's in the last few years. My preferences are:

Pete Carmichael Jr: Big part of the reason why Drew Brees has had a late career resurgence. Works well with an offense which features both passing and running games. Long pedigree in the NFL and deserves his head coaching shot.

Matt LaFleur: Maybe a year early but this could be a case where you want to grab him before someone else does. Was the right hand man to Sean McVay last year and has done well as the playcaller in Tennessee this time.

Mike McCarthy: Outstayed his welcome in Green Bay but there is no doubt that he's a very well respected offensive mind

Eric Bienemy: The mastermind behind Patrick Mahomes MVP calendar year and good to poach someone off a division rival.

The "hot coordinator" idea is a terrible one. The problem with hot coordinators is that they a) are usually riding the coattails of a successful head coach, organizational structure and usually a Hall of Fame QB and b) since doing what they did in their most recent coordinating job is what got them the head coach job, they are very often unwilling and/or unable to work outside that structure. Both factors set them up for failure in the new job. Most hot coordinators are various levels of disasters in their first head coaching gig. 

Two of the names you mention here I could probably get on board with, the other two are totally non-starters for me. Carmichael and Bienemy fit into the latter category as both work for HCs that run their team's respective offenses; both are perfect examples of riding the coattails of their head coach and quarterback. Neither even call their team's offenses, Payton and Reid call the offenses in KC and NO. No thank you to both. 

LaFleur is someone I might be able to live with so long as he isn't poisoned into the "Patriot Way" crap from Mike Vrabel. Been there, done that. However, he has worked under multiple head coaches and coordinators (a huge positive), he played in college and the AFL (another positive as he understands lockerroom dynamics) and is young (39) but not too young. He has worked under both Mike and Kyle Shanahan, Dan Quinn, Gary Kubiak, Sean McVay and the aforementioned Vrabel in his various NFL stints. That gives him a broad exposure to various systems and ways of doing things, which IMO is a must for a successful head coach. He can blend the old and new and has proven able to adapt his scheme to his available talent unlike a lot of your typical "hot coordinator" candidates. 

Even though the hire wouldn't really excite me, I could get on board with Mike McCarthy as a John Fox-type stabilizing force/adult in the room. The entire franchise is in dire straights at this moment (thanks, Joe Ellis) just like it was in late 2010 (thanks again, Joe Ellis) and thus an experienced, even if un-exciting, coach could be just what the building needs. McCarthy is enough of his own man, like Fox was, that he wouldn't be a powerless lackey (like Vance) and has also taken it on the chin so to speak that he would be humble enough not to be a "my way or the highway" type. 

On 12/25/2018 at 9:03 AM, germ-x said:

@broncos_fan _from _uk mentioned him a while back and it is a name that intrigues me for all the reasons you point out. I can't really add any more to his list of positives than you have; like I just said in my last post, the traits Campbell brings that you point out here are very similar to the ones I mention about LaFleur but with the added benefit of NFL head coaching experience, albeit very limited. 

18 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Green Bay, Cleveland, Arizona, NY Jets, Tampa Bay are already open or for sure to become open in a few days.

There is a chance Washington opens up (no idea what Dan Synder is going to do) and same for Cincinnati. The thing is Cincy, who do things a lot differently than the other 31 franchises, is to see Marvin Lewis move upstairs to some executive role and they go with something of a co-HC model with Vance and Hue Jackson, Jackson holds the HC title but Vance gets asst-HC/DC or something similar.

Jacksonville could be an outside possibility but it seems Kahn and Coughlin are going to stick with Marrone and work to find a QB, shed payroll and try to get rid of some of the locker room cancers before making a HC change. 

Green Bay is an appealing job (Aaron Rodgers), Cleveland looks to be an organization on the upswing and Dorsey is a legit GM but Haslem still owns that team, which could scare away a few candidates. Arizona and the Jets also have young, promising QBs, New York comes with a the spotlight (good and bad) and Arizona is a great place to live, both of which are appealing factors. Tampa is kind of up in the air, nothing really stands out down there but there aren't any glaring negatives; it is really just a meh job, nothing really awful about it but nothing great either. Both the Cards and Jets have a ton of cap space, Arizona with a projected $69m and New York with $106m and with largely barren rosters, the new HC could really put his stamp on a team. The Cards could also make a GM change, which might put them late to the HC search party.

In other words, we're going to have some pretty stiff competition for the coaching search. Let's hope Elway learned to change his approach there just like he has appeared to change his approach to the draft. If not, we're going to be having this same conversation again in two years. 

Archived