TRADE TARGETS

turtle28

I still say Smith is helping to an extent. He’s not turning the ball over, and winning the turnover battle helps win games. Turnovers cost us a game or two in each of the last 5 years. Also, Alex had two passing TDs in the red zone vs the panthers and the Cousins that played for us may have not competed one of those TD passes that was inside the 10. Rarely did Cousins complete a pass to a WR in the back of the end zone near the goal most for a TD like Alex did to Richardson. 

The Cousins that played for us from 2015-2017 was more cautious IMO because he wasn’t on a LTD. And, a lot of that was the Redskins front office’s fault because they wouldn’t give a long term deal that he had earned. 

Also, no one can dismiss the fact that the Vikings WRs are better than the WRs the Redskins has from 2015-17 except for DJax in 2015 & 16. That makes a big difference to as far as his play goes this year.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I still say Smith is helping to an extent. He’s not turning the ball over, and winning the turnover battle helps win games. Turnovers cost us a game or two in each of the last 5 years. Also, Alex had two passing TDs in the red zone vs the panthers and the Cousins that played for us may have not competed one of those TD passes that was inside the 10. Rarely did Cousins complete a pass to a WR in the back of the end zone near the goal most for a TD like Alex did to Richardson. 

The Cousins that played for us from 2015-2017 was more cautious IMO because he wasn’t on a LTD. And, a lot of that was the Redskins front office’s fault because they wouldn’t give a long term deal that he had earned. 

Also, no one can dismiss the fact that the Vikings WRs are better than the WRs the Redskins has from 2015-17 except for DJax in 2015 & 16. That makes a big difference to as far as his play goes this year.

Dude stop with the Cousins comparisons. It is part of the reason the we can’t move on. People just get so hung up on “he would have done this” and “Alex does this better.” 

The fact is Alex is the Washington Redskins QB and most people’s (myself not included) opinion about has been mostly true. Alex has refused to throw deep unless his guy has been completely open. He doesn’t throw to his WRs enough. Maybe it’s a trust issue, I don’t know. He holds onto the ball and makes bonehead mistakes, like running out of bounds late against Dallas.

What he has done that is good, he rarely makes bad throwing decisions 7-2 TD-INT ratio. He goes through his reads well. He has mobility to get yardage when no one is open. His progression in the offense should continue to grow and build. After all he has only been here for 7 regular season weeks, got little to no action in preseason and didn’t get play a game week 4.

He is far from perfect. (Very far) However we are 4-2 and in first place in our division. Hopefully with some returning players, maybe an acquisition of a starting caliber WR we can continue to grow.

I may be the minority, but if we win games with defense and our offense doesn’t lose the game for us, I’m happy.

HTTR!

23 minutes ago, Slateman said:

We're 4-2 despite Smith. We put up 13 points against Dallas. We won because the defense scored a TD

This.

And @Slappy Mc, I agree with most of what you posted except that he's going through his reads. Watch his eyes. Watch the level of his helmet. He looks at Read #1, then looks at the rush. Then tries to run out of the pocket if one part of the pocket is collapsing instead of sliding and keeping his eyes downfield. It was glaringly obvious in the Cowgirls game. Drove me nuts

6 hours ago, Slateman said:

We're 4-2 despite Smith. We put up 13 points against Dallas. We won because the defense scored a TD

I won’t say that Smith was a driving force in our win, but the defense scored 1 touchdown, it may have been the last score for us, but that is not the only reason we won. As @Woz and @Thaiphoon have said, a quarterback should not get credited for wins/losses, because it is a team effort. The defense more than did their part, but we won WITH Alex Smith, not despite him.

Even when a player makes a mistake that costs their team the game, paging Justin Tucker, their team understands its a whole team effort to win or lose a game.

6 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

This.

And @Slappy Mc, I agree with most of what you posted except that he's going through his reads. Watch his eyes. Watch the level of his helmet. He looks at Read #1, then looks at the rush. Then tries to run out of the pocket if one part of the pocket is collapsing instead of sliding and keeping his eyes downfield. It was glaringly obvious in the Cowgirls game. Drove me nuts

I think he is the best QB we have had at going through their reads since Mark Brunell. Yes, Mark Brunell.

He has not had great protection, so he may be a bit trigger shy, but it is refreshing to not have a QB stare down one target and use the ability to look off a safety. The negative side to this is, he goes through one or two reads and looks immediately to his check down. We all know the pain of his checkdown throws, Colts game.

He deserves a lot of blame as the centerpiece of the passing offense, but maybe we are seeing that our former QB made our WRs look better than they actually are. This is really bad news if you are Josh Doctson.

What I really want to see this week, is Jay Gruden develop a gameplan that frees up Jordan Reed up more often. We have seriously been under using him. I would forcefeed him 15 targets this week, try to get him over the 100 yard mark and pound the rock with AP.

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I won’t say that Smith was a driving force in our win, but the defense scored 1 touchdown, it may have been the last score for us, but that is not the only reason we won. As @Woz and @Thaiphoon have said, a quarterback should not get credited for wins/losses, because it is a team effort. The defense more than did their part, but we won WITH Alex Smith, not despite him.

Even when a player makes a mistake that costs their team the game, paging Justin Tucker, their team understands its a whole team effort to win or lose a game.

I think he is the best QB we have had at going through their reads since Mark Brunell. Yes, Mark Brunell.

He has not had great protection, so he may be a bit trigger shy, but it is refreshing to not have a QB stare down one target and use the ability to look off a safety. The negative side to this is, he goes through one or two reads and looks immediately to his check down. We all know the pain of his checkdown throws, Colts game.

He deserves a lot of blame as the centerpiece of the passing offense, but maybe we are seeing that our former QB made our WRs look better than they actually are. This is really bad news if you are Josh Doctson.

What I really want to see this week, is Jay Gruden develop a gameplan that frees up Jordan Reed up more often. We have seriously been under using him. I would forcefeed him 15 targets this week, try to get him over the 100 yard mark and pound the rock with AP.

Oh don't get me wrong. When he has a clean pocket, its great to watch him go through his reads. I'm just agreeing on the part when he doesn't have sterling protection. I need to have my QB looking downfield by sliding to the other side of the pocket, instead of bringing your head down, tucking and running. Robert used to do that and its kinda shades of that.

As for bolded, absolutely!

18 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

Dude stop with the Cousins comparisons. It is part of the reason the we can’t move on. People just get so hung up on “he would have done this” and “Alex does this better.” 

The fact is Alex is the Washington Redskins QB and most people’s (myself not included) opinion about has been mostly true. Alex has refused to throw deep unless his guy has been completely open. He doesn’t throw to his WRs enough. Maybe it’s a trust issue, I don’t know. He holds onto the ball and makes bonehead mistakes, like running out of bounds late against Dallas.

What he has done that is good, he rarely makes bad throwing decisions 7-2 TD-INT ratio. He goes through his reads well. He has mobility to get yardage when no one is open. His progression in the offense should continue to grow and build. After all he has only been here for 7 regular season weeks, got little to no action in preseason and didn’t get play a game week 4.

He is far from perfect. (Very far) However we are 4-2 and in first place in our division. Hopefully with some returning players, maybe an acquisition of a starting caliber WR we can continue to grow.

I may be the minority, but if we win games with defense and our offense doesn’t lose the game for us, I’m happy.

HTTR!

Maybe I’m blind, but Alex does throw the ball deep and has in each game, they just mostly haven’t been completed. I just read an article on the athletic from Mark Bullock that explained how Gruden only called two pass plays in first down all game long they weren’t in the 2-minute drill and one of them was all verts but the pass fell incomplete. I’ve showed every single game where he’s thrown need passes - maybe not 5 to 10 each game - but he’s definitely thrown a few in each game. They’re not always complete, but that speaks more to the injuries we’ve had at wr this year and inconsistencies we’ve had with WRs and with chemistry in our passing game as a whole.

And yes, I fully a knowledge some of that is one Alex as well, but anyone who thinks it’s all Alex’s fault is just biased against Alex and has been since the trade was first reported.

The last 3 paragraphs of your post I agree with.

8 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

BTW, give me DeVante Parker as my #1 WR trade target.

Maybe a 3rd or 4th should do it. A conditional pick might get it done too.

The dude has had 2 or 3 good games in 4 years. We should wait to see if he’s re-signed by the Dolphins after this year.

We have Doctson who is a very comparable player under contract and we can give him a 5th year option if he proves he deserves it the second half of this year.

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

The dude has had 2 or 3 good games in 4 years. We should wait to see if he’s re-signed by the Dolphins after this year.

We have Doctson who is a very comparable player under contract and we can give him a 5th year option if he proves he deserves it the second half of this year.

When has Josh posted a 6 catch for 134 yard stat line? You can say he has only had a couple good games, but Josh hasn’t had a single game like what I saw last night. I’m not saying give up on Josh, but Parker can ball. He makes tough catches and obviously needs a change of scenery. We should s-natch it up.

6 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

When has Josh posted a 6 catch for 134 yard stat line? You can say he has only had a couple good games, but Josh hasn’t had a single game like what I saw last night. I’m not saying give up on Josh, but Parker can ball. He makes tough catches and obviously needs a change of scenery. We should s-natch it up.

1. At least last Year Doctson showed he can make tough catches and catch TD passes. I want the guy who “all he does is catches TD passes.” 6 catches, 134 yards is great, again, it’s one game and he didn’t have a TD reception.

Id still wait until he’s a free agent. If I make a GM I miss not trading a draft pick for a player who’s going to be a free agent in March because he had 1 great game but has mostly been a disappointment in every way for his entire 4 year career so far.

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

1. At least last Year Doctson showed he can make tough catches and catch TD passes. I want the guy who “all he does is catches TD passes.” 6 catches, 134 yards is great, again, it’s one game and he didn’t have a TD reception.

Id still wait until he’s a free agent. If I make a GM I miss not trading a draft pick for a player who’s going to be a free agent in March because he had 1 great game but has mostly been a disappointment in every way for his entire 4 year career so far.

The only TD catch a Dolphins' player had was on a pass from Danny Amendola.

Parker is a better receiver. He can at least get open consistently. 

6 hours ago, Slateman said:

The only TD catch a Dolphins' player had was on a pass from Danny Amendola.

Parker is a better receiver. He can at least get open consistently. 

The main point I have is there’s no reason in trading for an inconsistent WR mid season. Especially when they’re going to be a free agent after the season. 

I have no idea how often Parker gets open, all I know is he has trouble staying on the field and out of the trainers room.

Archived