TRADE TARGETS

turtle28

1 hour ago, e16bball said:

All these WRs being mentioned after Cooper (like Dez and Demaryius in particular) remain the sort that we don’t need with our QB. I know I beat this drum relentlessly, but this team would be better with a WR corps made of guys like Crowder than of guys like Doctson. The run blocking we get from those big guys is great, but we are sacrificing our QBs strengths and playing right to his weaknesses by running out this group of plodding, big-bodied, jump ball receivers. 

Fair point.

The problem is that the market for the sneaky underneath wide receiver doesn't seem to be there.

20 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I still think we end up making a move. Whether that be signing Dez or trading for Thomas. Something will happen. 

We're wasting a trade on Thomas. He's not an Edelman type of WR. Which is what we need for a QB that looks for his first read, then looks at the rush and then tries to run instead of sliding in the pocket. Its shades of RG3. Getting a guy like Thomas will just waste a pick with this QB

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

We're wasting a trade on Thomas. He's not an Edelman type of WR. Which is what we need for a QB that looks for his first read, then looks at the rush and then tries to run instead of sliding in the pocket. Its shades of RG3. Getting a guy like Thomas will just waste a pick with this QB

Which is exactly why we roll with what we have and see if Trey Quinn can do anything...!

Why they heck we need a receiver when your QB can't hit him consistently?  how many over throws have we seen so far from Smith where if thrown fairly well, not great they would have been mostly catches.  He single handed almost lost us the game Sunday when he couldn't hit a wide open Sprinkle 10 yards in the endzone and when the D bails him out by scoring a TD he does what?  Stays inbounds to give Dallas an extra time out when he didn't have a chance in hell running for the 1st down.  Everyone is talking about the "bad call" on the kick for the Cowboys, that kick doesn't happen, only a hailmary if he stayed inbounds.

2 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

Why they heck we need a receiver when your QB can't hit him consistently?  how many over throws have we seen so far from Smith where if thrown fairly well, not great they would have been mostly catches.  He single handed almost lost us the game Sunday when he couldn't hit a wide open Sprinkle 10 yards in the endzone and when the D bails him out by scoring a TD he does what?  Stays inbounds to give Dallas an extra time out when he didn't have a chance in hell running for the 1st down.  Everyone is talking about the "bad call" on the kick for the Cowboys, that kick doesn't happen, only a hailmary if he stayed inbounds.

Alex Smith can hit open receivers. Most of the time.

The problem is that Gruden's system is based on timing. His QBs are throwing the ball before the receiver is open, because the throw is going to get the receiver open.

Crowder is the closest this team has to a guy who gets open enough for Smith's liking. Team needs someone on the outside who can do the same.

10 hours ago, TheGreeK1973 said:

I expect this to improve, there are reasons for every one of those passes being just off. Most don’t want to hear them but there are Reasons. Romo talked about the wind all day and how it affected both QBS passes more than 10 yards downfield. We all saw the wind get a hold of Mr. Automatic Justin Tucker's extra point, his first miss ever from that distance and in, counting high school.

Also, Smith is missing his top 2 wrs and CT. Despite this, we are still winning, I’m not sure why people are unbelievably elated that we’re winning despite missing 3 of our top 4 receiving options.

And Sprinkle’s Route was awful, he stumbled out of his break. Smith expected him to be in a spot and he didn’t make it. It was shades of Kirk missing a wide open Doctson last year against Minnesota I think. Doctson too stumbled and didn’t get to the spot, the play and results were very similar.

What about Kelechi Osemele for the Raiders. It’ll never happen but he’s only 29. I know his price tag is big but it would come off the books in time to pay Scherrf. They can finally be done with Luvuao and save a early draft pick for a WR/QB/EDGE

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

See it has happened in the past too. 

Cousins did a heck of a job in the wind a the Packers in 2016. He was awesome that night.

I blame the wind on pushing ALex Smith out of bounds on 3rd down at the end too. It works. 

30 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I blame the wind on pushing ALex Smith out of bounds on 3rd down at the end too. It works. 

That was almost.. as dumb as Kirk Cousins taking a knee with 6 seconds left instead of spiking the ball to stop the clock againts the Eagles.. 

You see, I don't expect this to improve much. Alex Smith is simply the wrong QB for Gruden's system and trying to keyhole him into it was Bruce Allen panicking after Cousins left and trying to keep his job. 

Andy Reid is basically a deity at scheming his offense to get his pass catchers open and his running backs free in space. He did it in Philly and is doing it in KC. None of Philly's receivers ever went on to do anything substantial after they left (except for Owens) and it's because of Reid. None of his QBs go on to be nearly as good as they were in Philly, because of Reid's system. This is what he does.

Consequently, this is the only way Smith knows how to pass. He's so concerned (I'd say obsessed) with not turning the ball over, that he doesn't force throws and doesn't throw until the receiver is wide open. This would be fine if Gruden ran a system that accomplished this. But he doesn't. Actually, MOST NFL teams don't run this kind of offense. Most rely on timing plays. Gruden is no exception. He relies on timing and throwing in tight windows. This is something Smith is simply not comfortable with, and it's unlikely he ever will be. It's not his fault, he's established who he is for the last five seasons. Smith is a guy that needs his receivers to be wide open to succeed.

But we don't have those guys. Honestly, neither did Cousins, except for Jackson. This is why Cousins started to change his philosophy and force the ball more downfield. Ironically, this made him a better passer and the results can be seen in Minnesota. Alex Smith never has, because he's never been forced to. He succeeded in San Fran because they loaded up on talent, and then he went to KC with Andy Reid scheming better than anyone in football.

Alex Smith is who he is at this point. Reid knew this. Smith knows this. Apparently, Bruce Allen is the only one who didn't know this, and apparently he did this whole deal in secret, even from parts of his organization. He wasn't trying to get a QB to guide his team. Allen was desperate to avoid a dramatic drop off in attendance, so he made a deal when he could. He then gave Smith a massive extension, touting that it saved cap money and solved the "problem" of Cousins leaving, while touting Smith as a leader and someone who protects the ball. Meanwhile, Allen did jack to get the receivers Smith needed to succeed, largely because he simply doesn't understand football enough to grasp Gruden's system and the players needed to execute it.

So while Smith will get a little better as he gets more comfortable in Gruden's system, those improvements will be minor, as Smith is simply the wrong guy. That the Redskins are winning now is a testament to their defense and lucking into Adrian Peterson. They're winning in spite of Alex Smith and this is unlikely to improve. Not unless the Redskins go out and get a lot more talent at the receiver position.

1 hour ago, Slateman said:

So while Smith will get a little better as he gets more comfortable in Gruden's system, those improvements will be minor, as Smith is simply the wrong guy. That the Redskins are winning now is a testament to their defense and lucking into Adrian Peterson. They're winning in spite of Alex Smith and this is unlikely to improve. Not unless the Redskins go out and get a lot more talent at the receiver position.

this is exactly what I have been saying since I saw this guy play in preseason.  I hope you and I are wrong but I have a feeling we are not.  At this time honestly I believe Colt would do a better job running this offense, because he knows it so much better and IMO is a better passer than Smith in the intermediate stuff where Smith is bad most of this season.

20 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Hehe... BOTH were pretty stupid.  

here is my ATF

http://www.nfl.com/m/share?p=%2Fvideos%2Fwashington-redskins%2F09000d5d81f249d6%2FNow-that-s-using-your-head

and probably the worst pass by a Redskin named Smith against the Giants (click the Watch on YouTube Link) as I cant figure out how to post it directly 

Archived