Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

On 11/26/2018 at 10:54 AM, deeluxx3 said:

Team/coaches around him isn't great and he has good measurables, but never really performed that well against legit teams. Pumps up his stats against cakewalk teams. You'd hope an NFL talent could transcend some of their surrounding weaknesses...I don't see Lock doing that

So he doesn't have a great team nor coaches around him... He's able to still get them through lesser competition, but can't carry his bad team against top notch competition... ?  I see he had bad games againts #1 Bama, then #2 Georgia, and #12 Kentucky (had a good game and beat #13 Florida).  How much an 1 QB do though, if you say the team and coaches around him are bad?  He's also led that bad team to an active 4 game winning streak in the SEC... and had a 5 game winning streak against the SEC last year. 

Like I said... I just saw that 1 game, and he looked great... looks to possess every tool needed by an NFL QB.

My biggest fear in the whole Mariota saga is that the organization will never get the right pieces around him for him to succeed. Bad playcalling and bad pieces around him (OLine/Run Game) will ultimately lead to his failure here. Constant coaching staff turnover will continue to damage his development just as much as anything else, and I can't help but feel like as a Franchise we have a very talented QB that we can win with that's ultimately never going to reach that ceiling, because we continue to pair him with coaching staffs and personnel that hold him back whether that be from an outdated scheme (Robiskie/Mularkey), poor playcalling (LaFleur), or a lack of support on the field around him (Run game/OLine).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

So he doesn't have a great team nor coaches around him... He's able to still get them through lesser competition, but can't carry his bad team against top notch competition... ?  I see he had bad games againts #1 Bama, then #2 Georgia, and #12 Kentucky (had a good game and beat #13 Florida).  How much an 1 QB do though, if you say the team and coaches around him are bad?  He's also led that bad team to an active 4 game winning streak in the SEC... and had a 5 game winning streak against the SEC last year. 

Like I said... I just saw that 1 game, and he looked great... looks to possess every tool needed by an NFL QB.

I hear ya, and maybe I'm looking at him in a similar lens as Josh Allen where it's like...if you're a great QB prospect, you should be able to transcend a not-great team. Not saying you should go out there and beat Bama, but really overcome your team's shortcomings.

This article is from October, but talks about how he's really bulked up his stats against bad competition: https://www.rockmnation.com/2018/10/4/17934200/drew-lock-missouri-football-winning-opponents-struggles

we'll see with Lock. I personally don't like him as a prospect, but I hated Gabbert as a prospect, too (still baffles me how Blaine got drafted in the first round...all of his college tape screamed mid-round guy)

15 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

All Lock seems to me, and granted I haven't followed him for that long, is a one-read quarterback with a really, really strong arm. Now, that may ultimately end up being effective in the right type of offense in the NFL, but personally I would not bet on it.

A criticism of Marcus:

I don't think he is creative enough as a passer. I think he is too "coachable."  Meaning if you tell him to get to 6 yards depth in the pocket, he will get to 6 yards, even if it means opening himself up to a sack. 
If you tell him to go to the TE first for a read he will go there, even if you have a UDFA rookie DB covering Corey Davis and Davis wins the route and is open. Marcus will go that TE and miss a potentially big play from Corey, all because it wasn't the order he was told to go in...

Is he not allowed to do those things? Is he afraid too? Is it the offense? Maybe it is the lack of confidence in the line? Or maybe he doesn't process information fast enough to do so?

It seems like we are missing that big play potential from broken coverages or slip ups, because Marcus doesn't look for them or take those risks. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

A criticism of Marcus:

I don't think he is creative enough as a passer. I think he is too "coachable."  Meaning if you tell him to get to 6 yards depth in the pocket, he will get to 6 yards, even if it means opening himself up to a sack. 
If you tell him to go to the TE first for a read he will go there, even if you have a UDFA rookie DB covering Corey Davis and Davis wins the route and is open. Marcus will go that TE and miss a potentially big play from Corey, all because it wasn't the order he was told to go in...

Is he not allowed to do those things? Is he afraid too? Is it the offense? Maybe it is the lack of confidence in the line? Or maybe he doesn't process information fast enough to do so?

It seems like we are missing that big play potential from broken coverages or slip ups, because Marcus doesn't look for them or take those risks. 

Perhaps. I still don't think this offense plays to his strengths. We still want to grind it out, heavy sets, rarely run hurry up, always trying to be cute, whether it's with LeFleur or Robiskie. Constantly taking the ball out of his hands in key short-yardage situation.

It still baffles me why we don't spread out this offense and just let him pick apart defenses, even for a few drives a game. The guy shredded everyone at Oregon. Granted, Pac-12 Chip Kelly football...but it's clear that is the type of QB he is.

Mahomes and Goff are physical freaks...but man I'd love to see Marcus in an offense like that. He doesn't have the cannon that those guys have, but with his anticipation and mobility....sheeeeesh

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Perhaps. I still don't think this offense plays to his strengths. We still want to grind it out, heavy sets, rarely run hurry up, always trying to be cute, whether it's with LeFleur or Robiskie. Constantly taking the ball out of his hands in key short-yardage situation.

It still baffles me why we don't spread out this offense and just let him pick apart defenses, even for a few drives a game. The guy shredded everyone at Oregon. Granted, Pac-12 Chip Kelly football...but it's clear that is the type of QB he is.

Mahomes and Goff are physical freaks...but man I'd love to see Marcus in an offense like that. He doesn't have the cannon that those guys have, but with his anticipation and mobility....sheeeeesh

I would love to see that too. An offense that lets him just pick people apart. Shoot Brady does that. 
But I know our Line doesn't hold up well against a standard rush and maybe all our WRs can win their route quick enough?
And then maybe Marcus doesn't process it fast enough? Even though we've seen him do it countless times in No-huddle/hurry up situations in NFL and College. 

35 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I've low key been watching Chip Kelly's struggles at UCLA, and I'm kind of hoping before all is set and done that we'll actually get a chance to see Marcus run Chip's offense.  I used to be a "Chip needs Marcus not the other way around" guy, but it's clear that Marcus' skill set is best suited for that type of offense. Tempo spread offense where Marcus can nickle and dime the defense all the way down the field, and then hit you over the top with the big play. It feels like several of us have been beating the same drum with this offensive fit thing for several years now, but it's so clear the type of offense that Marcus succeeds with, and yet our coaching staff continues to try to fit a square peg into a round hole a good majority of the time. Similar to what Matt Nagy did with the Bears bringing in Mark Helfrich. I would've loved to have had Mark come in here. That offense is perfect for Trubisky's style and instead of trying to fit him into a certain system he brought in a coordinator that ran a system that Trubisky could really succeed with.

59 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

If Marcus doesn't work out, us never going to a offense similar to this will forever hunt me.

For us to never really add speed offensively since Mariota's been here is truly tragic.

I think that it’s completely valid to say that the Whiz/Mularkey offenses were just 1000% inappropriate for Mariota.

we’ve done nothing to this point to cater our offense to him on a consistent basis. I thought LeFleur would, but he is seriously a Robiskie twin. Tight ends all day every day baby 

12 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

I think that it’s completely valid to say that the Whiz/Mularkey offenses were just 1000% inappropriate for Mariota.

we’ve done nothing to this point to cater our offense to him on a consistent basis. I thought LeFleur would, but he is seriously a Robiskie twin. Tight ends all day every day baby 

i mean, tight ends are fine. mariota historically has been strong in the middle of the field throwing to tight ends. it’s just that ours suck without delanie 

26 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i mean, tight ends are fine. mariota historically has been strong in the middle of the field throwing to tight ends. it’s just that ours suck without delanie 

It’s more about the prominence we put on the position. It’s great to get guys like Walker and Smith the ball and let them work. But it’s trotting out 3 TE sets, targeting guys like Stocker. Remember the 4th we converted before scoring our last TD against SD? We targeted freaking Firkser as the #1 option (if it wasn’t firkser it was Stocker). RUNNING with stocker....like what other team does that?