Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

I'm all for stacking weapons around Mariota and seeing how far he can take us, but every team in the NFL is trying to stack weapons for their QB. It's not like we haven't been trying. Injuries hurt also.

We have a legitimate #1 WR, a pro bowl TE and a solid #2 TE, one of the best LTs in the NFL, and a duo of RBs that have produced in spots and need to be more consistent. Conklin and Walker need to get healthy and we need to find a #2 WR that is a bit of an upgrade from Taylor/Sharpe. The interior OL isn't going to be vastly improved over one year.

It's also just as hard to find a top 10 QB so it's not like we have a choice in the matter. Too many people think too much about anyone being critical of Mariota. He needs to play better and that's undeniable. He's not getting any new weapons this year so that's not up for debate. If we want to win this year, he has to play better. I can say Taywan Taylor needs to catch the ball when it slides out of his hands or Taylor Lewan needs to step his game up, but god forbid anyone say Mariota needs to make a throw or get rid of the ball instead of taking another sack.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

I never said he didn't have weapons? I said if you get a lesser QB the same weapons you get lesser results and can't run the same amount of the offense through them.

Over the last 10 years Rivers averages about 275 yards passing per game. Smith averages about 225 with his best year being worse than Rivers average (Remind you of anyone).

A much bigger portion of your offense can flow through Phillip River's arm than it can through Alex Smith's.

I'm not saying Mariota can't win games and can't make the playoffs. I'm saying Mariota needs to average about 225 yards and 30 attempts per game and try not to turn the ball over. That's your style of winning with Mariota. 

Oh you talking numbers? :)
But it is one of those things where yes Rivers has put up numbers, but when the team is most successful is when he doesn't have to lift so much of the weight. I think even when we played them they were talking about how the offense differs when Gordon is part of if.  
Looking at his career team has hit 11 plus win seasons then dipped do the 7-9, 9-7 level, then as the talent around him got better the record ticks back up. 
Yes he has produced better, because the offense has run through him more. 
We yet to see if Mariota could handle an offense like that. We've seen coaches struggle to find an identity with inconsistent playcalling and run heavy schemes. 

We've seen Smith in a pass heavy offense under Reid. It is when he looked his best. The team though couldn't capitalize and win. Mahomes is exploding with the numbers and victories, but can they capitalize with playoff wins? Because that's what it's about right?

I'm personally just hesitant to say what a person can't do until we seem them not do it. We don't fully know if he can carry an offense design for him to carry it. We've seen him be inconsistent in passing situations with a lower volume of throws.  But, how would he look in an offense design for him to get into a rhythm and have a higher volume.
Looking at Rivers he has only less than 500 throws in his first 6 years ( Really 4 if you don't count the 2 years with Brees.) After that he threw it over 500 a season. Marcus has never topped 455.  Partly due to injuries, but also do to the system. 
I think it maybe a conclusion that if he can't handle the 20 or so throws I give him, why would I give him more?  Good point.  But? I really don't have a counter point to that .lol  Other than to say I'd like to see it for myself first. 

I guess I'm saying, yes nobody will argue that Rivers isn't a top QB. I wanted to trade for him actually.  But I do think it highlights that no matter the level of QB you have, you have to have a team around him. 
I know I was one to think if you had a top QB the team magically is better. I don't think that is true anymore. Top QB makes everything a lot easier, but you need a team. So with Marcus not being a top QB ( I think he is mid-level). You have to make sure the team is good. And I can't say that the team has been good enough, yet Marcus gets the blame for it. 

• Like 1

Having a team around any QB helps, but building a team around Mariota is going to be a team that runs it more often rather than just getting him explosive weapons and letting the offense flow through his arm. You can win in December and January running the ball and playing good defense.

I can't honestly believe that anyone thinks you could plop Mariota in KC and he's all the sudden going to be throwing for 140 yards more per game than he's averaging now and he's going to have 34 more TD passes? KC would be running it a lot more and playing much more conservatively with Mariota.

I just don't see why anyone having seen Mariota play for four years would ever think that Mariota is going to be a prolific passer. He's a game manager that can make plays with the game on the line, a lot of time because of his legs. He's given you maybe a couple games throughout 4 years that would suggest otherwise and dozens that suggest this is true.

30 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Listening to the MoveTheSitcks podcast (not even about the Titans they're doing a mock draft) and they said they don't think Mariota and Bortles are that far apart lol.

Give Bortles more weapons!

Which is as ridiculous a comment as Mariota being a top flight QB. Mariota is a middle of the road QB. Bortles isn't even on the road.

Just now, TitanLegend said:

Which is as ridiculous a comment as Mariota being a top flight QB. Mariota is a middle of the road QB. Bortles isn't even on the road.

I do think Mariota is better than Bortles. I don't know how anyone ever bought into him as being average.

3 minutes ago, dtait93 said:

The same reason you did. And then for whatever reason you completely 180'd.

Bortles, not Mariota. I still think Mariota is average.

The switch flipped on Mariota because he hasn't improved in 4 years. I had hoped the highs we saw in 2016 would be common by his 4th year in the league, and if anything, they're even more of a rarity.

7 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Bortles, not Mariota. I still think Mariota is average.

The switch flipped on Mariota because he hasn't improved in 4 years. I had hoped the highs we saw in 2016 would be common by his 4th year in the league, and if anything, they're even more of a rarity.

They have flipped. That is why I don't pay attention to any of them when they talk about QBs. Anyone remember when some people said Luck was done or when RG3 was the man (that is always my go to example.)  Or when they said Dak is the best QB under 25. 
I remember seeing a tweet by Jeremiah about Marcus going through his progressions and how he said that isn't common for a rookie. People were loving his throwing motion. etc... Now not so much. 

So all the Watson, Mahomes, Goff, and Wentz stuff doesn't mean much to me. Give me a couple years and then talk to me.

Now I do think Marcus has shown improvement in areas. Reading Defenses, making calls at the line.  But he hasn't shown substantial improvement. 

But other than Luck and I guess Wilson. I'm not in a position to look it up.  Have there been any QBs in the last couple years that have come out and are undoubtedly "the Man" that will lead their team to multiple playoffs and Super Bowls (Manning, Rodgers Brady like).

Wentz is good, but if we being honest, he has injury problems too.
Watson hasn't changed his game yet. He still kind of wings it.
Mahomes is awesome but it's one year.
Goff was great last year this year he has come down to Earth somewhat and these last few games he has looked bad.
Dak is what Dak is.....
Winston may be out the door in Tampa.
Marcus is mid-level to me (average). 

Are we going to see a team or QB be on top like the Rodgers, Brady era?

I think Wentz and Mahommes are here to stay as top talents, at least Wentz if he's healthy is a top 5 QB in the future. Mahommes, let's see if anyone can ever force him to stay in the pocket and see what happens.

Watson and Goff are somewhere in the average range, probably still above Mariota, but have supporting casts like we want for Mariota. If you ask either of them to throw 35-40 times a game with no running game and the defense having a bad day, I think they struggle, but I don't think that's the case for Mahommes or Wentz. We know it's not for Luck.

• Like 1

As much as it pains me, Watson (barring injury which is big with him) looks like he is going to be a top guy imo.

We all wanted to see if he could repeat last year's success and he is, maybe even playing better. He's 13-7 as a starter and maybe more importantly, the Texans have never lost by more than 10 points with him as a starter(meaning he keeps them in games).

He's really good, which sucks since he's in our division.