Marcus Mariota: Is it Time ??

FutureIsWhite

it's really the combination of injuries and mediocre/poor play. honestly, all of the excuses about the injuries would be completely fine with me if marcus had proven that he can play at a high level consistently. i'd be 100% in favor of extending a wentz, luck, watson (idk about garoppolo lol). but marcus can't even sniff their level of play. he hasn't come remotely close in 2 years.

Gabbert was sacked one time since Mariota went down with the injury in the 2nd quarter against the Redskins.

6 straight quarters without a sack to finish the season.

I'm not saying he's better than Mariota, but there has to be a reason for that right? Nothing in the scheme appeared to have changed.

Just now, TitanSS said:

Gabbert was sacked one time since Mariota went down with the injury in the 2nd quarter against the Redskins.

6 straight quarters without a sack to finish the season.

I'm not saying he's better than Mariota, but there has to be a reason for that right? Nothing in the scheme appeared to have changed.

Jack Conklin was getting his a$$ handed to him, & kelly is better but yes Marcus does cause a lot of sacks he struggles reading defenses were Gabbert can but he so inaccurate & reckless throwing the ball

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Jack Conklin was getting his a$$ handed to him, & kelly is better but yes Marcus does cause a lot of sacks he struggles reading defenses were Gabbert can but he so inaccurate & reckless throwing the ball

Gabbert doesn’t step up in the pocket and can’t read a defense for the life of him. Let’s not get it all twisted after one start 

guy has been a$$ since Mizzou. Told everyone back then and it’s still the same story with him

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Gabbert doesn’t step up in the pocket and can’t read a defense for the life of him. Let’s not get it all twisted after one start 

guy has been a$$ since Mizzou. Told everyone back then and it’s still the same story with him

Well he gets rid of the ball quick & doesn’t hold on to it I’ll take your word

2 minutes ago, TitanRedd said:

Well he gets rid of the ball quick & doesn’t hold on to it I’ll take your word

Yea Gabbert grips it and rips it. But so can a lot of guys. He has a big arm and the physical tools, but so did Kyle Boller and countless other dudes who didn’t make it

7 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

Gabbert reads faster but makes trash decisions. 

Marcus is slower reading but makes better decisions. 

• Like 1

Ive seen more accurate passers in HS than Gabbert, not worried about him lol, just making the comparison that he was finding open guys every time he dropped back (even though he couldn't deliver the ball to them accurately) and didn't take a single sack in 6 quarters.

Marcus had at least a full game or two with Kelly at RT. 

23 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

I completely get the trepedation.  He has regressed in some aspects since 2016...

But he's still only 25... and other QBs have shown progress/made the jump later in the careers. 

• Drew Brees made his jump at age 25/26, and then really blew it up at 27 when he teamed up with Sean Payton in New Orleans.  There were still questions about him prior to that, and why he hit FA to begin with.
  • Alex Smith made his jump at age 29
  • Aaron Rodgers didn't get his chance until 25, but it was that age 26 season where he made his impact
  • Cousins was 27 before he made an impact
  • Ryan was putting up numbers early, but took it further in his age 27 season.. then again at age 31
  • Tony Romo was 27

Some QBs develop differently.  Injuries aside, Mariota has gone through his share of obstacles.  The most consistent influence he's had in the NFL to his point was Mularkey and Robiskie.  I still think year two with LaFleur is going to be huge... for both of them.  They both need each other.  And I think there's a good chance we see massive improvement from both next year.

The problem with all those examples outside of Smith is that none of them were injury prone. I don't want to break the bank on a guy who has largely been below average his last 2 years and can't stay on the field who all of a sudden has a good 2019 season in which he stays healthy. That would be fools gold and an outlier I can't buy in to. If something like that does happen, I'm franchising him to make him prove he can do it again and then we can talk long-term deals.