Checking in with Trubisky

WindyCity

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

No doubt trubisky was and is the better talent. trubisky still improving, watson has already peaked....

I see a lot of watson living in TX, and the thing that scares me the most is he takes HITS. dude got lit up multiple times against the colts today, a couple that i thought might knock him out. dude needs to learn how to slide

34 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I see a lot of watson living in TX, and the thing that scares me the most is he takes HITS. dude got lit up multiple times against the colts today, a couple that i thought might knock him out. dude needs to learn how to slide

Yeah, there's no question that his OL isn't good but when he's running and not sliding + trying to stand in the pocket for 5 seconds on every snap, I feel less sorry for him and I also realize that his OL can't be blamed for everything.

After watching MT for a year I have some new opinions on him.  

I think MT will be a completely different guy next year.  I think he will be one of most improved players in the league.

That being said, my feelings are kind of mixed on his potential and ceiling.  He is not a huge guy, nor does he have a rocket arm.  I think Josh Allen when I think that, but that being said nobody thinks Josh Allen is next big thing. Allen is an example of a guy with a high ceiling and a low floor.  I feel like, but don't know for sure, Mitch has a high floor and a lower ceiling than other potential young QBs.  To give another comparison I think Watson has a really high floor and is better than Mitch right now (most of time), but I think MT has a higher potential ceiling than Watson given time.  I would throw a guy like Baker Mayfield in that category too.   

MT has an above average arm and he is a good athlete.    He is capable of being accurate, but isn't consistent with his accuracy.  With his size and arm strength, accuracy needs to be his thing.  It needs to be his number one priority.  He needs to throw on time, escape, take yards or reset and throw.  Big emphasis on reset and throw.  Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have innate talent to make off platform throws and he keeps putting himself in that position and attempting it.  It's okay, not many people can.  You can still be great and not have that ability.  Marino, Brady and Manning also aren't good at off platform throws.  Guys like Favre, Rodgers and Mahomes are those types of players.  Guys who can be twisted, moving or falling down and still throw a good ball down the field.  Their feet don't matter (when they are young as Rodgers is starting to find out), Mitch's feet matter.  

He does have drive and good work habits which bodes well.  He can learn the game to point where he rarely needs to make off platform throws and he can work his mechanics.  Manning worked his mechanics every year of his career and so does Brady.  

Also bodes well that his coach had first year success which will means he will have same coach for duration of rest of his first contract.   He will also have good weapons and a good defense for at least 2 more years.  I think importance of that can't be overstated.

Can he be great?  Yeah, it's possible, most people think it isn't.  I think he will be fairly good for sure, better than most people think, I don't think he is a Bortles who he is most compared to.  Will he be great?  I think we will know the answer by end of next season.

Watching Mitch all year and grading each game, I think he has had some 2 great games sprinkled in with a bunch of really solid to good games. He really only had 1 bad game (the Rams game). He needs to work on being consistent and being able to anticipate and read defenses. 

He will make his biggest jump from Year 2 to Year 3. After working with Nagy and his mechanics this off-season I expect think to come out and be really good next year and start ascending into his prime.

I've never been this excited for a Bears QB and I can't wait for training camp. If he still has those overthrows we've seen him have, I would have to assume he will never be a top 10 QB and we're stuck with a Matt Stafford. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Can he be great?  Yeah, it's possible, most people think it isn't.  I think he will be fairly good for sure, better than most people think, I don't think he is a Bortles who he is most compared to.  Will he be great?  I think we will know the answer by end of next season.

Yesterday, by itself, proved he's better than Bortles. 

48 minutes ago, Nads786 said:

Watching Mitch all year and grading each game, I think he has had some 2 great games sprinkled in with a bunch of really solid to good games. He really only had 1 bad game (the Rams game). He needs to work on being consistent and being able to anticipate and read defenses. 

He will make his biggest jump from Year 2 to Year 3. After working with Nagy and his mechanics this off-season I expect think to come out and be really good next year and start ascending into his prime.

I've never been this excited for a Bears QB and I can't wait for training camp. If he still has those overthrows we've seen him have, I would have to assume he will never be a top 10 QB and we're stuck with a Matt Stafford. 

I think he is more driven than Stafford and will be better.  I think Stafford is more talented.   I also think most QBs who had to spend their career in Detroit would have similar results so maybe it is not fair to judge.

I would have made them tag me and gotten out of dodge at first opportunity.  I never would have signed an extension for a crap org in a dying city.  

7 hours ago, WindyCity said:

Ugh.   5:13 just take the easy throw to Shaheen!  Shaheen gets inside the 10 at least and scores at best. 

That is where he has to understand that because he is a threat to run he is a walking vertical option concept.  When cover man leaves off to attack him he needs to throw to who he left AND receiver needs to present an easy open target when that happens because its usually an off platform throw.  Because its off platform you have to take the easy throws unless you have super canon arm which Mitch really doesn't have.  

Its like 2 on 1 basketball.  Guy switches to you, you pass to man he left.  Shaheen also needs to pull up his route away from defender more and throw up his hands so its like giant beacon to QB.   Its a little different than a scramble drill like Rodgers does because MT may run.  He is going to draw defenders to himself.  When defender puts eyes on QB you simply drift opposite and present to QB!

If he had the big arm he still made wrong throw.  He should have thrown to Miller (left side of screen coming to middle) for the TD.

Miller was actually open whole time.  People saying they are disappointed with Miller's season.  Guy was wide open on like 1/3 of his routes it seemed like.  He can't throw the ball to himself.

To be fair to MT Leno got beat and ruined timing of the play forcing an improvised play.

I have seen so many clips of Leno this year being lazy in technique.  Focus wasn't on him, but I was looking at him.   He had a lot of crappy blocks that MT bailed him out on by scrambling.

Just standing up and reaching and not moving his feet.

6 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

Miller was actually open whole time.  People saying they are disappointed with Miller's season.  Guy was wide open on like 1/3 of his routes it seemed like.  He can't throw the ball to himself.

I think I can count the number of rookie wide receivers who came in and set the league on fire with one hand. Then you throw in all the other factors--young QB, new offense for his teammates, other WRs fighting for catches, etc.--and his supposed shortcomings become more understandable. I think Miller is going to be a star. 

What I am talking about over and over and over about Daniels versus rest of line.  I see it again and again.  

Freeze that youtube clip at 5:01.

Look at every other O linemen and look at Daniels.  Look at his hips.  His hips and pads are lower than his opponents. He is square with his opponent.  He is looking up at his opponent.  Technique!  Just like it is supposed to be taught.   Look at rest of line.  Theirs are all higher.

Watch multiple clips from Bears games.  You see it again and again.  

Daniels has good form and they have crap and are often getting whooped.  Whitehair is only one is half as good.  

Archived