Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

2 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Honestly, I don't really care either way. I say that plainly and respectfully. I'll stop with the name calling and abbreviations though. I don't post much anyway. 

Then we're good here. You're lucky you got the fun mod and not CWood. That guy is the worst.

History does repeat itself though. I used to be adamant that Rodgers wouldn't turn into a Favre.

Well, he's not going to. But it seems like he might handcuff the organization in his own unique way, anyway.

Hope this all turns a corner soon, but I'm starting to see a lot of the undue pedestal stuff Favre got too an that isn't going to result in hardware. 

Team before an individual, always.

And the team is embodied in a successful head coach. Like MM. 

Also, I'm still a fan of hitting the reset button sooner than later. Best way to get a championship level team unless you are NE.

7 minutes ago, Stevein2012 said:

Of course there is risk with change there is risk with keeping things as they are too hence what we've seen this year.  The offense is a slopfest every week with no rhythm or identity 9 friggin weeks into the season.  Is sticking with McCarthy likely to make next year any different?  I'd say probably not and betting on that is a heck of a risk in itself.  I'd be willing to give McCarthy more time as the head coach if he wasn't so bent on being the OC as well but he's clearly not willing to give that up so here we are.

For me it is more complex.  It is about more this year.  Our wide receiver corps is in the first year of a rebuild, and unlike the Rams choice, we went for developmental low round picks.  After Adams, we have Cobb, who for whatever reason, just never has repeated as the 1000 yd receiving threat .  Allison does a workman like job as a 3, but both he and Cobb have missed time with injury leaving us to depend on low round rookie WR's.  McCarthy might deserve some credit for MVS showing development, but personally i think it was MVS seeking out coaching in the off season to have a better understanding of the playbook.

My point I guess, is that I am not surprised the offense is still sputtering, and I feel it is due to decisions that Ted and Gute made- Ted devoting too many failed picks to defense leaving the offense aging and depleted, and Gute going with low round rookies and Allison to start the rebuild.

I feel like with either McCarthy or somebody else, with a good offseason the offense will be better.  It is just a question of can the front office identify someone who would lead the offense better than McCarthy.  The answer to that determines McCarthy's fate.

Then we are left with the same question of the last 8 years- can the defense get to the top tier as well.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

History does repeat itself though. I used to be adamant that Rodgers wouldn't turn into a Favre.

Well, he's not going to. But it seems like he might handcuff the organization in his own unique way, anyway.

Hope this all turns a corner soon, but I'm starting to see a lot of the undue pedestal stuff Favre got too an that isn't going to result in hardware. 

Team before an individual, always.

And the team is embodied in a successful head coach. Like MM. 

Also, I'm still a fan of hitting the reset button sooner than later. Best way to get a championship level team unless you are NE.

Moving past the Rodgers aspect, do you see Mac-Gute clicking like it did for Ted early on? 

I felt like Gute was going to be tempted to make his own mark before the season started, now that we're 3 wins in at the halfway point, I think that itch is growing.

I don't know if that relationship is where it needs to be. It's got to be awkward.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Moving past the Rodgers aspect, do you see Mac-Gute clicking like it did for Ted early on? 

I felt like Gute was going to be tempted to make his own mark before the season started, now that we're 3 wins in at the halfway point, I think that itch is growing.

I don't know if that relationship is where it needs to be. It's got to be awkward.

Yeah, impossible to know without knowing their current relationship.

It's pretty clear that if there is a disconnect that MM is the one who will get the ax. Unless Gute shocks the world and trades Rodgers and gives himself and MM a ton of cash and draft capital to show they don't need Rodgers to build a champion.

GB is the easiest place to trade away a guy like Rodgers. No owner fretting the fallout and no fear of losing cash flow.

I hope that's the hunger in Gute actually ha.

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

It's pretty clear that if there is a disconnect that MM is the one who will get the ax. Unless Gute shocks the world and trades Rodgers and gives himself and MM a ton of cash and draft capital to show they don't need Rodgers to build a champion.

GB is the easiest place to trade away a guy like Rodgers. No owner fretting the fallout and no fear of losing cash flow.

Dead cap makes that impossible for awhile.

That can be traded, no?

I thought you were always stuck with all the SB cap hits no matter. But if you guaranteed a year's salary that moves around. IDK if there's a way for a team to accept the SB money, I don't think so, IDK.

I swore Tebow had some weird **** when he went to the Jets where they paid some guaranteed part of his deal or something though.

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Oh the fallout would surely be apocalyptic my man

Just like when the last one was traded away? For a measly 3rd round pick?

There were more than a few fans who were ready to storm 1265 holding torches and pitchforks.  Of course right now we don't have good QB waiting in the wings to take AR's place right now.

Archived