Extend Mike McCarthy?

incognito_man

1 minute ago, Cheech said:

The switch from Capers to Pettine has already paid dividends.  

The problems with MM's offense are the same problems that the offense has faced for the last five years.  To attribute them to personnel at this point is disenguous. They have been discussed ad nauseum.  

I wish we could separate MM the head coach from MM the offensive coordinator.  I'm afraid that isn't possible.  

Finding a head coach is no guarantee, but at this point were only going to see more of the same offensive B.S. out of a MM led team regardless of the personnel.  

Sure, but just changing the coach is not enough.  Without the players a new coach just rides the slide down.  A new coach without some key additions is just rearranging the deck chairs.  It is really naive to think that the only thing wrong is the coach.

Keep getting players like we did this off season.

9 minutes ago, Cheech said:

The switch from Capers to Pettine has already paid dividends.  

The problems with MM's offense are the same problems that the offense has faced for the last five years.  To attribute them to personnel at this point is disenguous. They have been discussed ad nauseum.  

I wish we could separate MM the head coach from MM the offensive coordinator.  I'm afraid that isn't possible.  

Finding a head coach is no guarantee, but at this point were only going to see more of the same offensive B.S. out of a MM led team regardless of the personnel.  

We're 18th in the league in PPD. We're an average defense right now and have had better health than could reasonably be asked for. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Who the eff is saying that all they need to do is fire MM and all will be well with the current roster? If that was said by anyone I missed it. I don't think there's a single person here who would think BG would fire MM and then bring back the same roster.

Substantial roster turn over happens with every team every year, whether there is a new coach or not. If there is a new coach, it may change the nature of the turn over because a new coach may need different players to implement a different system. No team ever brings back the exact same roster.

2 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Substantial roster turn over happens with every team every year, whether there is a new coach or not. If there is a new coach, it may change the nature of the turn over because a new coach may need different players to implement a different system. No team ever brings back the exact same roster.

Yeah you should be telling that to the DS above replying as though there was anyone here who was saying that canning MM was a cure all.

We all know there's roster turnover every year. Some of us realize that the single most impactful move they can make is getting rid of the stale head coach. McVay took the same Rams players from 32nd in offense to 1st overnight. A good coach can make a huge difference. They need to improve the roster, yes. The right coach will also bring more out of what they currently have.

6 minutes ago, Cheech said:

Would you rather have Capers or Pettine?    

Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine.

Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine. Pettine.

2 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Pettine when looking at things holistically. Capers had just lost everyone's faith and it was time to part.

That said, I still prefer Caper's scheme to Pettine's. 

Pettine has the simple advantage of giving opposing a teams a new look to scheme against. Capers just like McCarthy ran a system that was no longer fooling anyone. Opposing players were literally calling out the Packers blitzes and coverages the past few years under Capers. You have to evolve or you die. McCarthy's bullskit about fundamentals and execution are what a coach resorts to when he's out of ideas.

17 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Yeah you should be telling that to the DS above replying as though there was anyone here who was saying that canning MM was a cure all.

We all know there's roster turnover every year. Some of us realize that the single most impactful move they can make is getting rid of the stale head coach. McVay took the same Rams players from 32nd in offense to 1st overnight. A good coach can make a huge difference. They need to improve the roster, yes. The right coach will also bring more out of what they currently have.

Funny.  You sure like to cover lack of knowledge with insults.  Kind of the definition of DS.

First off, you said the "only chance to right the ship" was to change coaching staff.  Nothing about fill important holes, not get more experience for the current rookies and developing players.  Not exactly a heady discussion of the issues.  

Second, McVay didn't have the same Rams players.  They brought in a pro bowl left tackle in free agency in 2017.  Their top two receivers in 2017 were playing in college and Buffalo in 2016.  Yes, the draft can help right the ship.  And most importantly, they had a full off season with Goff as the starter to prepare following a developmental rookie year.

Just like your take on Jaire Alexander and your confused take on cutdowns, you don't really bring any facts, just a bunch of insults.

24 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Agreed. I've stated that I'm no fan of McCarthy. I view him as a slightly above average coach who lucked out by having two Hall of Fame QBs during his whole time as HC. If Gute decides to bring in someone new next year, I would support that move. I also support Gute renovating the roster. HaHa had to go. Getting rid of Ty was the right thing to do. Next to go should be Cobb, Kendricks, and possibly Perry. 

1 minute ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Funny.  You sure like to cover lack of knowledge with insults.  Kind of the definition of DS.

First off, you said the "only chance to right the ship" was to change coaching staff.  Nothing about fill important holes, not get more experience for the current rookies and developing players.  Not exactly a heady discussion of the issues.  

Second, McVay didn't have the same Rams players.  They brought in a pro bowl left tackle in free agency in 2017.  Their top two receivers in 2017 were playing in college and Buffalo in 2016.  Yes, the draft can help right the ship.  And most importantly, they had a full off season with Goff as the starter to prepare following a developmental rookie year.

Just like your take on Jaire Alexander and your confused take on cutdowns, you don't really bring any facts, just a bunch of insults.

This place is in dire need of a shakeup when I come on here and see two JAs using their 50 posts a day to tell everyone that McCarthy needs to stay and Rodgers needs to go and there's barely an ounce of pushback. I honestly though they were joking at first and people were just blowing them off. Then I read more and saw people responding seriously to them without much fight. And I was 100% right about cutdowns. Both then and obviously now, the concept of having an unbalanced roster for one week to give yourself a better chance at keeping a player you want to stash but have no room for, is above your underdeveloped mind. I was very patient with you, explaining it multiple times. It clearly was beyond your grasp and I'm sorry for that.

Archived