Week 7 GDT - Titans @? Chargers

dtait93

No fade...ever...as a 4th down or last play scenario!!! Too much can go wrong and there is no time to fix it. The fade only works if you snap and chuck it, if you wait even a little you run out of room. If he trips...no chance, if the defender gets a good chuck on the receiver...no chance. 

Any play in the situation we were in calls for power run, or a play that developes multiple options including QB draw. I don't even like a roll out there because it cuts the field in half. 

Also like someone mentioned earlier Marcus is not good a the predetermined pass play, that is where most of his picks come from.

We better go for the win if comes to that against the Cowboys. 

If we lose that game, we're realistically looking at 3-6 with the Pats looming.  You can pretty much kiss any playoff hopes away with a loss on the 5th.  Even at 4-5, we're on the road for back to back division games immediately after the Pats.  But that's where we can make our move.. out of those last 7 games.... there's not a single one that looks like we shouldn't be able to win. 

But I keep going back to that Buffalo game... how important it was we won it... I don't think the WC is going to come into play.  The West and North should get those... so it's a fight to the end for the division... us, Houston, and even the JAgs... and the Colts can very play spoiler down the end.  It's going to be interesting... but we need this game at Dallas... it really is a must win. 

13 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

Were there ever any updates on if Kline was ok after his injury yesterday(well he was injured sunday obviously, meaning was there an update given yesterday)? I didn't get to watch the press conference but looked through Wyatt's tweets and saw no mention of Kline.

I'd rather he stay down honestly. I much prefer Dennis Kelly moving inside to guard. I'm super tired of watching Kline and Jones get rag-dolled, if not blown completely off their feet, in pass protection.  I'm not sure which offseason contract was more egregiously bad. Malcolm Butler's or Josh Kline.

This leads to why I'm hesitant to trade picks for vet WR's. We're gonna need ALL those mid round picks to rebuild this interior o-line next year. We need 2 if not 3 new starters inside. 

Just now, Chocolateman78 said:

I'd rather he stay down honestly. I much prefer Dennis Kelly moving inside to guard. I'm super tired of watching Kline and Jones get rag-dolled, if not blown completely off their feet, in pass protection.  I'm not sure which offseason contract was more egregiously bad. Malcolm Butler's or Josh Kline.

This leads to why I'm hesitant to trade picks for vet WR's. We're gonna need ALL those mid round picks to rebuild this interior o-line next year. We need 2 if not 3 new starters inside. 

Kline had a rough start to the year but he's played better as it's went on I think.

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I'm not nearly as down on the interior o-line as most. Is it great? no. But it holds up pretty well in pass blocking(Ravens game not withstanding). Across our starting 5, all 5 grade out as at least above average by PFF in pass blocking(which is to be taken with a grain of salt admittedly, but it's the only real metric out there for OL play):

Senitlv.png

For reference, their grading scale color wise:

GeHeygR.png

Has the run blocking been bad though? Unquestionably. That being said, and Tom Gower brought it up in a radio interview today, this scheme can take some time to learn how to block in. He mentioned how bad Atlanta's offense was across the board in Shanahan's first season as OC there, including in blocking. And if you look at SF, they struggled blocking too to start last season.

We're coming off our best game of the year in terms of run blocking, so hopefully that can continue.

But I think in a passing league, where it becomes more and more important every year, you're probably unlikely to see drastic change to the o-line given how well it pass blocks. It's been one of the top pass blocking lines going on it's 3rd season now. Could Spain or maybe Jones end up being replaced? Possibly. Spain the most likely given he's on a one year deal. But sweeping changes across the interior? I highly doubt it.

Nope... I'm not buying PFF ratings at all. I've watched both Kline and Ben Jones get knocked off their feet multiple times this year. You should never notice that with your linemen. Marcus is at his worst when the pressure comes up the middle and he can't step up. This HAS to be rectified. The interior oline is bad. And the contract he gave Kline is horrible in retrospect considering he was the weakest link in the line last season. he was supposed to be a much better fit in a zone scheme, he's not. This team should have alot of experience in zone blocking schemes. Jones came from one in Houston, Conklin ran it at Michigan St., Kline with the Pats. Lewan, I'm not sure about, but he's one of the leagues most athletic linemen. Spain was the only one who was thought to be a poor fit. The learning curve, theoretically at least, should be less steep with that much experience.

PFF forever lost credibility when they graded Aaron Rodgers below average on a game where he threw for over 300 yds and 5 TD passes. 

31 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

But I think in a passing league, where it becomes more and more important every year, you're probably unlikely to see drastic change to the o-line given how well it pass blocks. It's been one of the top pass blocking lines going on it's 3rd season now. Could Spain or maybe Jones end up being replaced? Possibly. Spain the most likely given he's on a one year deal. But sweeping changes across the interior? I highly doubt it.

This oline hasnt been tops since 2016. They've been living off rep for a year and a half. And its not crazy to see sweeping changes across the interior. Heck we made 3 interior changes in 2016 bringing in Jones, Kline, and Spain. 

Just now, Chocolateman78 said:

This oline hasnt been tops since 2016. They've been living off rep for a year and a half. And its not crazy to see sweeping changes across the interior. Heck we made 3 interior changes in 2016 bringing in Jones, Kline, and Spain. 

In 16 it was 8th in pass blocking efficiency, in 2017 it was 3rd, this year it's sitting at 16th right now, but largely because of the Baltimore game. Before the Baltimore game they were 8th in the league, so I imagine as the year goes on and things even out, it'll settle back in to that 3 to 8 range again.

Archived