2019 NFL Draft - Offensive Line

Forge

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

You think he will play center in the NFL?  Where you think he will be drafted?  And yes most go the impression from him when he was at LT I agree, he did play better as a guard this year but I was not amazed by his play by any means.  Solid but is probably not the best guard on their team.  

I think there's a very good chance he plays center in the NFL. Obviously kind of depends on what the team that drafts him needs, but I think a team should feel comfortable with him at LG or C. No idea at this point when he'll be drafted, but he shouldn't last long into day 2. He's seemingly projected to go late round 2/early round 3 right now, but projections this far out aren't often perfectly accurate. Benzschawel is a good player as well, although he has a lot less power in his game. He's a good athlete though so teams that run a lot of OZ/wide zone will probably be big fans of him. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

My big OL board:

1. Jonah Williams/LT
2. David Edwards/RT
3. Michael Dieter/OG
4. Chris Lindstrom/OG
5. Greg Little/LT
6. Mitch Hyatt/LT
7. Max Scharping/RT
8. Jawaan Taylor/RT
9. Dalton Risner/RT
10. Yodny Cajuste/LT
11. Martez Ivey/OG
12. Cody Ford/OG
13. Andre Dillard/LT
14. Connor McGovern/OG
15. Garrett Brumfield/OG

Really?  Why is Greg Little so low, especially in the pass happy NFL of today the guy has fine pass protection skills.  To me I view Risner and Ivey as potentially damn good guards, especially Risner, not to mention Alex Bars who if not for the injury could be the #1 OG in the draft.  Oh and Herbig as well who is a mover and similar in playing style to Quenton Nelson  but not as good in pass pro as Nelson was and not as refined, basically a poor mans version potentially.  There is great value with Trevon Tate possibly and Dru Samia as well.  I know everyone just assumes the Wisconsin guys are the best guards but they have some competition for sure, oh and Connor McGovern can play as well  inside.  

This is how I would quickly lay it out, but Jonah Williams for sure struggled late in the year, will see if he can correct that with the pre draft stuff.  And Jawaan Taylor is a surprise coming out but kid is a monster in terms of size and strength, has tree trunks for arms.  

Jonah Williams Alabama OT JR
Greg Little Ole Miss OT JR
Dalton Risner Kansas State OG RS SR
Jawaan Taylor Florida OT JR
Dalton Risner Kansas State OG/OT RS SR
Cody Ford Oklahoma OT RS JR
Martez Ivey Florida OG/OT SR
Alex Bars Notre Dame OG SR
Nate Herbig Stanford OG JR 
Mitch Hyatt Clemson OT  SR
Connor McGovern Penn State OG/C JR
Beau Benzschawel Wisconsin OG RS SR
Ross Pierschbacher Alabama OG/C RS SR
Andre Dillard Washington State OT SR
Trevon Tate Memphis OT/OG RS SR
Dru Samia Oklahoma OG SR
Michael Dieter Wisconsin OG RS SR
Kaleb McGary Washington OT RS SR
David Edwards Wisconsin OT RS JR
Donnell Greene Minnesota OT RS SR
Yodny Cajuste West Virginia OT RS SR
Terronne Prescod NC State OG SR
Bobby Evans Oklahoma OT JR
Erik McCoy Texas A&M C RS JR
Michael Jordan Ohio State OG/C JR
Chris Brown USC OG RS SR
Zack Bailey South Carolina OG SR
Isaiah Prince Ohio State OT SR
Ben Powers Oklahoma OG SR
Yosuah Nijman Virgina Tech OG/OT SR

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Really?  Why is Greg Little so low, especially in the pass happy NFL of today the guy has fine pass protection skills

I think he's got balance issues. He's big and athletic, but his footwork is quite sloppy at times. He also isn't pristine in pass pro by any stretch. I've seen him get bullied into the QB's lap on multiple occasions and I just don't think he's very consistent. He's got a lot of great physical tools, but hasn't locked into his technique yet. I don't think he's BAD, but I also don't think there's a major difference between his ability to pass protect and that of the lower round guys like Mitch Hyatt or Yodny Cajuste.

31 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I think he's got balance issues. He's big and athletic, but his footwork is quite sloppy at times. He also isn't pristine in pass pro by any stretch. I've seen him get bullied into the QB's lap on multiple occasions and I just don't think he's very consistent. He's got a lot of great physical tools, but hasn't locked into his technique yet. I don't think he's BAD, but I also don't think there's a major difference between his ability to pass protect and that of the lower round guys like Mitch Hyatt or Yodny Cajuste.

To me he has played at a higher level more consistently than Hyatt and Cajuste have in their careers, Little has been good for three years now and at a high level from the get go.  I do not see Little get bullied back all that often, he played very good against Alabama and some other bigger matchups.  Sure in the run game he looks confused at times on who to block and does not have powerful hands, but again in pass protection there is not much to dislike about him.  He has a solid base and I feel his footwork in pass pro and ability to move side to side is impressive.  Could argue if one looked at the tape this season, Jonah Williams and for sure David Edwards had more struggles and got beat in pass pro than Greg Little did this past year.  The tapes for Jonah the past few games especially Georgia were rough and Edwards struggled against Michigan and BYU.

1 hour ago, Jeezla said:

I haven't watched any Cody Ford, but I'm seeing his name in the top 15 of mocks. Is he really that good?  

Nope. Does not play nearly as powerful as his frame would suggest. He's a position blocker despite being 315+. He's excellent at getting to the next level on zone blocks @NoDakViking, but has no business playing in a traditional power blocking scheme. He's got bleh feet in pass protection and rarely, if ever, has to take a traditional pass drop.

His name rising on draft boards has perplexed me mightily. I know he's got physical talent, but his tape isn't great. I think he is an OG all the way and is going to be limited to a ZBS at least early in his career. Don't get the hype behind him right now to be honest.

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

Garrett Brumfield. He's the easiest mover in the OL class and it's not really close. He is light in the butt, but he will probably run in the 4.8 range methinks.

Really?  You do know since 2006 only three offensive lineman have ran a 4.8 and under 40 time and that includes guards, tackles and centers.  So Brumfield running 4.8, I seriously doubt that.  Also did you not see the Alabama game this past year?  He struggled big time and he has been ok over his career but nothing amazing and to me he is not this amazing athlete either. 

As far as who is the best zone blocking guard, hard to tell because some guys can do it and just were not asked to do it all that much.  Just like some guys could pull but not every offense pulls and moves their guards around.  Just because they were not asked to do it does not always mean they cannot do it, same with zone blocking.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Really?  You do know since 2006 only three offensive lineman have ran a 4.8 and under 40 time and that includes guards, tackles and centers.  So Brumfield running 4.8, I seriously doubt that.  Also did you not see the Alabama game this past year?  He struggled big time and he has been ok over his career but nothing amazing and to me he is not this amazing athlete either. 

As far as who is the best zone blocking guard, hard to tell because some guys can do it and just were not asked to do it all that much.  Just like some guys could pull but not every offense pulls and moves their guards around.  Just because they were not asked to do it does not always mean they cannot do it, same with zone blocking.

I think he's an exceptional athlete that lacks anchor strength. I do think he times in the elite range for a guard. Is he an elite player? No...he's a 5th round pick kind of guy. But I do expect him to time very well and do pretty darn well in a zone blocking scheme. Will probably play C in the NFL.

On December 28, 2018 at 6:39 AM, Ozzy said:

It is kind of hard to get a handle on those Wisconsin guys this year.  I mean come on that line preseason by some projected they have 3 first round picks on the OL?  I never agree with that type of ranking for them.  Edwards did not play in this game but did not have the year most thought he would of at OT and struggled in pass pro.  The OT positions in general for Wisconsin this year have not been impressive to me.  Benzschawel is very athletic and tough but kid does get beat inside from time to time and did so in big games this past season.  Is great at pulling and moving but all those guys are, when asked to pass protect consistently they cannot always hold up.  This game they were not asked to pass protect often and dominated like they should in the run game.  Mind you Willis was out that game for Miami which was key and that Miami offense was so bad the defense had no chance really. 

Jon Dietzen looked surprisingly good at tackle in this game but again it is because he was not asked to pass protect all that much and just go out there and run block.  Dieter is another guy, is very consistent and has played forever but athletically he is a little limited, was bad at tackle the past few years I thought so good he moved back to guard.  It is just odd that a group so dominating and so clearly talented on the OL would struggle so much as a team this season.  The defense not being as dominant as years past does have something to do with it sure, and the QB play.  Will see what happens, but sure some of those guys could easily climb up into the 2nd round and maybe 1st because no many other inside OL out there who have a lot of potential.  Still with Dalton Risner I view him as the clear cut best OG prospect, kid played OT most of his college career and could play RT in the NFL as well.  Could not say that about Dieter, Benzschawel or Dietzen really.  The center Biadasz is very good and could be the best of them all in the end, will see.  

Their left tackle was rated #1 by PFF for all OTs in CFB...just sayin

Archived