Broncos-Cardinals sets a RECORD new low for broadcast ratings

Chargers

3 minutes ago, footbull3196 said:

Yeah, I understand the logic behind wanting to give every team an appearance on a national TV game, but there are clearly some teams that are undeserving of it.  I remember being forced to watch Titans / Jaguars in Week 16 on TNF when both teams came into the game at 2-12

Probably has to do with the fact that with 17 weeks and 32 teams it wouldn’t be fair to have some teams play multiple tnf games and some teams none from a physicality standpoint.

1 minute ago, DigInBoys said:

Probably has to do with the fact that with 17 weeks and 32 teams it wouldn’t be fair to have some teams play multiple tnf games and some teams none from a physicality standpoint.

Yeah, the policy didnt come into effect until they expanded TNF to the full season.  There's no way teams would be willing to play multiple TNF games with the way it throws off their entire week, so the NFL had to do something to fill the TNF schedule up.  And it hid behind its true intentions and saved face by making it appear that it was being generous enough to give national TV games to bad teams.  In reality, someone had to fill those spots and there are only so many teams in the league

1 hour ago, Dome said:

what exactly does this mean? how many people were watching?

I think a 6.6 means 6.6% of the 119.6 million TVs in America were tuned into it.

So 6.6% of of 119.6 million is 7,893,600. So under 8 million people were watching the game Thursday.

To compare in week 6, KC & NE on SNF pulled in a 12.3 and the average game during the day is close to 10.0 throughout the season.

Don't quote me on that. Someone has to know for sure.

This still doesn't mean much except that the game just so happened to be taking place during other "important" events that were occurring during the same time slots. Such as; Lebron's Laker debut(a rival west coast audience for Arizona) and the Red Sox clinching a world series spot. 

1 minute ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

I don't think that's correct as last weeks SNF game had a Nielson of 12.3

I stand corrected then. I never understood how the Nielsen system worked, or even care to learn, but for some reason I always thought the ceiling was 11. 

10 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

I stand corrected then. I never understood how the Nielsen system worked, or even care to learn, but for some reason I always thought the ceiling was 11. 

Yeah it's always confused me.

I'm just gathering the info from the net.

Let’s say Game of Thrones has a 5.5 household rating/9 share. We can break this into two parts. The 5.5 simply means that 5.5% of all households with a TV set watched the program, The 9 means that 9% of households with TVs that were watching at that given time were tuned into the program.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seamuskirst/2015/12/18/what-are-nielsen-ratings-and-how-are-they-calculated/#2348c8db56e0

That's how I gathered a 6.6 means 6.6% of the 119.6 TVs in America.

Then you look at random SNF game rating and it says:

Last night's 12.3/21 was the best for a Ravens-Steelers rivalry matchup on "Sunday Night Football" since a 2011 Week 9 meeting (a span covering five "SNF" games) and is up +6% from last year's Baltimore-Pittsburgh "SNF" game in Week 14 of the NFL season.

So that's why I think it can go above 11 as that game got a 12.3 aka 12.3% of 119.6 TVs and 21 means that 21% of TVs turned on were watching that game.

Somebody has to know for sure!

16 minutes ago, Vikes_Bolts1228 said:

Yeah it's always confused me.

I'm just gathering the info from the net.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/seamuskirst/2015/12/18/what-are-nielsen-ratings-and-how-are-they-calculated/#2348c8db56e0

That's how I gathered a 6.6 means 6.6% of the 119.6 TVs in America.

Then you look at random SNF game rating and it says:

So that's why I think it can go above 11 as that game got a 12.3 aka 12.3% of 119.6 TVs and 21 means that 21% of TVs turned on were watching that game.

Somebody has to know for sure!

Good info. But it's still all greek to me.

For instance, how do they compensate for "off-the-grid devices and sources" like modified boxes and what-not. Or how they track demographic stats from those who use a VPN? Or how they factor in the time that a household starts to watch a program vs the actual amount of time spent on it (in other words, start watching the first quarter, realize it's a blowout and switch to the Lakers game)?

lol. See, stuff this just gives me a headache. edit: And this is coming from a tech nerd.

The NFL can’t blame fans for not watching garbage match ups. They won’t do this, but they need to go back to making Thursday night games just in the games after thanksgiving. That way, they know who the best teams and they can showcase those match ups tge second half of the year. They’re screwing themselves with horrible match ups.

5 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Good info. But it's still all greek to me.

For instance, how do they compensate for "off-the-grid devices and sources" like modified boxes and what-not. Or how they track demographic stats from those who use a VPN? Or how they factor in the time that a household starts to watch a program vs the actual amount of time spent on it (in other words, start watching the first quarter, realize it's a blowout and switch to the Lakers game)?

lol. See, stuff this just gives me a headache. edit: And this is coming from a tech nerd.

They can’t track those people at the moment. That’s part of the reason why Nielsen Ratings are going down. So yes, these numbers are understated since they only capture people who watch tv in a traditional format. 

I believe they’ve trying to figure out ways to capture streamers etc. Not sure how close they are.

Edit: Sounds like Nielsen ratings started capturing Hulu, Amazon, Netflix and YouTube TV in 2017. On their website, they say they capture 40% of the worlds viewers. So essentially it’s a really large poll. 40% is really high and should be a really solid estimate.

10 hours ago, August4th said:

looks like a perfect storm for bad ratings. bron Laker debut, MLB playoffs featuring two big markets and a blowout with a team that doesn't have a huge following.

it happens..

Just the idea that people watch the NBA is kind of fascinating.

Archived