World Series: Los Angeles Dodgers vs Boston Red Sox

Eagles27

9 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Both GMs had a huge impact but Dombrowski was the guy who finished it off. Price, Sale, JD, Pearce, Eovaldi, Moreland, Braiser were all absolutely huge in the post season. 

I said it when detractors were trying to bash Dombrowski because he just goes everywhere and dismantles the farm systems, the dude ALWAYS wins deals. 95% of the trades hes done, go back and look at where those "top prospects" are now. The dude is an incredible judge of talent. 

Off the top of my head:

• Travis Shaw, Mauricio Dubon, Josh Pennington for Tyler Thornburg
  • Drew Pomeranz for Anderson Espinoza (Yeah he's been bad, but he was a top 20 prospect and they flipped him for a guy who's bad. Lose-lose deal tbh.)
  • Carson Smith for whoever they got back. (EDIT: Ironically enough I loved this deal for the Red Sox.)

I think he was still the GM in Detroit when the Rangers stole Corey Knebel too (gracias DD).

It's a pretty damn good track record, but that doesn't mean the criticism that he blows up farm systems isn't real. He had a pretty similar track record in Detroit, and the Tigers are in worse shape than just about any organization in baseball today.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Off the top of my head:

• Drew Pomeranz for Anderson Espinoza (Yeah he's been bad, but he was a top 20 prospect and they flipped him for a guy who's bad. Lose-lose deal tbh.)
  • Carson Smith for whoever they got back.

I think he was still the GM in Detroit when the Rangers stole Corey Knebel too (gracias DD).

It's a pretty damn good track record, but that doesn't mean the criticism that he blows up farm systems isn't real. He had a pretty similar track record in Detroit, and the Tigers are in worse shape than just about any organization in baseball today.

To be fair. None of those guys move the needle. Travis Shaw is still who he was in Boston, and it was definitely a bad move by DD but we had Devers coming up and needed to open the spot up regardless. Shaw still a dude who should be in a platoon and I also don't think ANYONE saw 30 HR power in Shaw. That was random as hell, his ISO spiked big in Milwaukee.

18 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Both GMs had a huge impact but Dombrowski was the guy who finished it off. Price, Sale, JD, Pearce, Eovaldi, Moreland, Braiser were all absolutely huge in the post season. 

I said it when detractors were trying to bash Dombrowski because he just goes everywhere and dismantles the farm systems, the dude ALWAYS wins deals. 95% of the trades hes done, go back and look at where those "top prospects" are now. The dude is an incredible judge of talent. 

Way, way too early to claim these deals are over. Worked out for the Red Sox, no doubt.

3 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

To be fair. None of those guys move the needle. Travis Shaw is still who he was in Boston, and it was definitely a bad move by DD but we had Devers coming up and needed to open the spot up regardless. Shaw still a dude who should be in a platoon and I also don't think ANYONE saw 30 HR power in Shaw. That was random as hell, his ISO spiked big in Milwaukee.

The Brewers did. When we acquired him and Thames right around the same time Stearns said that Shaw was the guy who had the real power between the two, which was odd at the time but proven right down the line.

Back to the point, there's a real criticism that DD blows your farm system up. He does. If you are a big market market team, and you have ammo for him to spend, there's no one with his track record of spending it as well. But that does mean you'll have to rebuild in 3-5 years when he's done. 

10 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The Brewers did. When we acquired him and Thames right around the same time Stearns said that Shaw was the guy who had the real power between the two, which was odd at the time but proven right down the line.

Back to the point, there's a real criticism that DD blows your farm system up. He does. If you are a big market market team, and you have ammo for him to spend, there's no one with his track record of spending it as well. But that does mean you'll have to rebuild in 3-5 years when he's done. 

Oh definitely. Luckily we've got a young enough core that we should be okay for a while. He did a good job keeping the right prospects, too. 

2 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Off the top of my head:

• Carson Smith for whoever they got back. (EDIT: Ironically enough I loved this deal for the Red Sox.)

Smith was 1 for 1 with Wade Miley, IIRC. I'll still do that deal 10/10 times.

2 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I mean Wade had some insane luck this year. Dude is poop.

2nd best average exit velocity against for FB/LD. Dude's home run suppression was at least in part because of weak contact. Definitely some luck since the hard contact against him was on the ground, though. Would guess he's a 3.7 ERA guy or so moving forward.

3 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

You kinda contradicted yourself there. 

Shaw averaged a homer every 17.4 at bats as a rookie, so it's not at all inconceivable to have projected him as a 30HR guy. 

Archived