Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

Yeah, teams are more and more willing to trade players in this league.  Used to be only Belichick would deal in the season.  It's the state of the NFL right now.  Eagles, Patriots, Saints, Jaguars... They're living in the now, not the future, and it's frustrating.  We're clicking on offense and having a legit pass rusher away this year from being able to compete for a Super Bowl win, and the trade deadline is going to pass us by with Gute signing a fullback to the practice squad. 

5 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, teams are more and more willing to trade players in this league.  Used to be only Belichick would deal in the season.  It's the state of the NFL right now.  Eagles, Patriots, Saints, Jaguars... They're living in the now, not the future, and it's frustrating.  We're clicking on offense and having a legit pass rusher away this year from being able to compete for a Super Bowl win, and the trade deadline is going to pass us by with Gute signing a fullback to the practice squad. 

I hope I am wrong, and all my sarcastic comments about how we will win the super bowl aside, I have felt all year that this is a build year and next year we will be better positioned as a contender.  I just think we are more than one player away at this point.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong, and I still have hope for the season.  I just am not counting on anything.

47 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

We're clicking on offense?

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

Packfan's got it. 

Fair enough.  I disagree.  I don't think we're that good.  The EDGE isn't going to magically fall into our laps this season.  Maybe we get lucky and find one next offseason, but that's not going to happen.  We've discussed Aaron and the offense ad nauseam, but the back end of our secondary needs to tighten up.

42 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I hope I am wrong, and all my sarcastic comments about how we will win the super bowl aside, I have felt all year that this is a build year and next year we will be better positioned as a contender.  I just think we are more than one player away at this point.

Like I said, I hope I am wrong, and I still have hope for the season.  I just am not counting on anything.

I don't think it started out this way, but nearly half-way through the year, Gute may be looking bigger picture. He's got a team that overall has struggled through the easier part of the schedule, a hurt QB whose injury may continue to linger, and a pretty tough schedule to come, among other issues. While not "giving up" on the season, Gute may decide to just let things play out this year with what we have, keep the full compliment of draft picks in play for next year,  and then make a new, more aggressive run next year, especially with more money to play with after we dump Cobb and Matthews off our books. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I don't think it started out this way, but nearly half-way through the year, Gute may be looking bigger picture. He's got a team that overall has struggled through the easier part of the schedule, a hurt QB whose injury may continue to linger, and a pretty tough schedule to come, among other issues. While not "giving up" on the season, Gute may decide to just let things play out this year with what we have, keep the full compliment of draft picks in play for next year,  and then make a new, more aggressive run next year, especially with more money to play with after we dump Cobb and Matthews off our books. 

I think it started out that way.

Just now, CWood21 said:

Fair enough.  I disagree.  I don't think we're that good.  The EDGE isn't going to magically fall into our laps this season.  Maybe we get lucky and find one next offseason, but that's not going to happen.  We've discussed Aaron and the offense ad nauseam, but the back end of our secondary needs to tighten up.

Our secondary was tight as a tight thing when Alexander was playing.  Pretty tough for the secondary to be tightened up when its best player has missed the past three games.  We don't have massive holes.  Our defense is still 15th in scoring.  This is NOT 2017 anymore.  The league changed the rules even more.  The complaints of our defense are going on everywhere. 

The Patriots are 20th in points allowed right now.  20th.  They haven't ranked outside top 15 in scoring once in Brady's time there. 

The NFL had a RECORD amount of points AND touchdowns by the end of Sunday.  RECORD amount of points.  That was BEFORE the final game of the week. 

30 points is the new 23 points in the NFL this year.  We are NOT a bad defense, we just aren't accustomed to the new rules in the NFL yet. 

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Is he willing to sacrifice McCarthy as well? I know Green Bay is not a high tension place, but NO PLAYOFFS would deal a huge blow to public sentiment. 

3 minutes ago, Howler said:

Is he willing to sacrifice McCarthy as well? I know Green Bay is not a high tension place, but NO PLAYOFFS would deal a huge blow to public sentiment. 

As long as they are filling the stadium, and selling merchandise, and the locker room isn't an issue, Murphy will decide based on what is best for the team and not on public sentiment.

If they went into this as a build year, they will be far more concerned with the development of all the rookies they are playing and what the true relationship with Rodgers is, and whether the result of the build is what they thought it should be.

Archived