Trade Deadline Thread

MacReady

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Does McKenzie have a job (or role) anymore in OAK?
All these changes are being attributed to Gruden. McKenzie's name never comes up.

That is a great question.

It has seemed to me as a possibility that Gruden wants a certain type of attitude, and he is cleaning house of the people that he feels don't have the work ethic/proper attitude/full subservience to Gruden with the intent of having a bunch of good picks with which to rebuild.  

The 10 year contract makes me think that a tear it down and rebuild it mentality was discussed before he signed, but I am just speculating here.

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Does McKenzie have a job (or role) anymore in OAK?
All these changes are being attributed to Gruden. McKenzie's name never comes up.

Yeah .. he's still the GM, but he answers to Gruden.  Read an article yesterday that  had quotes from McKenzie ... he basically worked on the Amani Cooper deal with Stephen Jones from the Cowboys.  Gruden makes final call. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. he's still the GM, but he answers to Gruden.  Read an article yesterday that  had quotes from McKenzie ... he basically worked on the Amani Cooper deal with Stephen Jones from the Cowboys.  Gruden makes final call. 

The GM answers to the coach. Thats interesting. Well I guess if you're not into power plays - you're pulling down good coin - have a nice benefits and insurance package for the family - having the coach take the heat for things gone wrong isnt such a bad thing. That is of course - till the coach turns the dime on you and blames you for it all. Probably not a long term relationship.

On 10/22/2018 at 3:38 PM, CWood21 said:

They're the Philadelphia Sixers of the NFL right now.

except the 6ers had a plan and got good.  The Raiders plan involves Jon Gruden hitting on draft picks and coaching a good team.

They're the browns of 2 years ago.

3 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:
On 10/22/2018 at 3:38 PM, CWood21 said:

They're the Philadelphia Sixers of the NFL right now.

except the 6ers had a plan and got good.  The Raiders plan involves Jon Gruden hitting on draft picks and coaching a good team.

They're the browns of 2 years ago.

What do you think the 76ers plan was? They hit on their draft picks and had cap space to sign pieces..... The Browns just missed on every pick. We don't know who the Raiders are taking with all of these picks yet

Just now, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

That is a great question.

It has seemed to me as a possibility that Gruden wants a certain type of attitude, and he is cleaning house of the people that he feels don't have the work ethic/proper attitude/full subservience to Gruden with the intent of having a bunch of good picks with which to rebuild.  

The 10 year contract makes me think that a tear it down and rebuild it mentality was discussed before he signed, but I am just speculating here.

I'm sure you're right. I believe his marching orders were too do as he saw fit to bring an exciting team to Las Vegas. 

4 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

What do you think the 76ers plan was? They hit on their draft picks and had cap space to sign pieces..... The Browns just missed on every pick. We don't know who the Raiders are taking with all of these picks yet

Have a pretty good idea of the 6ers plan.

NBA draft is SO much more predictable than NFL, so the process has more merit, and because 1 single star player makes you a playoff team in the NBA because 1 player is a much bigger portion of the overall roster. 

The Browns had a good process too for a rebuild, but until they get rid of their horrible coaches it won't matter much.  Fortunately, the Browns can actually improve because they can just fire their coaches and move on.  Gruden can't do that.

The biggest issue for Jon Gruden is that while Jon Gruden the GM (and let's not pretend he isn't the GM, he has final say) may be putting a viable plan together on how to build a team through the draft, Jon Gruden the coach will not be able to execute that plan because he's a bad coach now, and he's a horrible coach type for planning to build through the draft.  Gruden's scheme and terminology is the opposite of easy for new and young players.  It's part of why they value Jordy and why they signed a bunch of other veteran players and are not playing young recent high draft picks and looking to trade them.  If Gruden the GM had a good offensive coach who could work with young players, then you have the semblance of a plan coming together.

The return of Gruden will go down as one of the worst franchise decisions in NFL history.  Market. Down.

16 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

The Browns missed on all of their picks? 

Just now, TheBitzMan said:
18 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

The Browns missed on all of their picks? 

Until 2017, yes....

Just now, JBURGE said:

Until 2017, yes....

That was Sashi's plan for the tank/accumulation of draft picks though. In the last two drafts they potentially have a franchise QB, a dominant EDGE player and a shutdown corner. 

I agree with your Gruden point though. I am in the camp that the Raiders weren't going anywhere with their roster before Gruden got there. Now they have 3 1st rounders (2 projected in the top 10 at the moment) and $75+ million in cap space. If Gruden messes this up, he won't have anywhere to hide. 

27 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

That was Sashi's plan for the tank/accumulation of draft picks though. In the last two drafts they potentially have a franchise QB, a dominant EDGE player and a shutdown corner. 

I agree with your Gruden point though. I am in the camp that the Raiders weren't going anywhere with their roster before Gruden got there. Now they have 3 1st rounders (2 projected in the top 10 at the moment) and $75+ million in cap space. If Gruden messes this up, he won't have anywhere to hide. 

Sashi only drafted Coleman and Garrett in the 1st round. It was the few years before that where they screwed up. 

But yeah we're on the same page on Gruden. I don't like that they traded Mack, but I'm cool with Amari going. 

Archived