Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

On 6/7/2023 at 1:09 PM, MWil23 said:

Especially when you’re a literal billionaire and you know it can impact your bottom line. It may also sound harsh, but just because you’re a celebrity doesn’t mean your platform is somehow legitimate or you have some sort of knowledge. If you want to talk about basketball, branding, business, or being a father then go right ahead…past that, I’m not going to really put much stock into what you say but that is just me.

Is this an old guy “yells at clouds” meets “shut up and dribble” moment?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

Is this an old guy “yells at clouds” meets “shut up and dribble” moment?

Kind of. I think 98% of celebrities are inherently worthless to society beyond entertainment at their respective arena. I don’t need people who know less than me telling me about ________. If others want to care then they can have at it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Kind of. I think 98% of celebrities are inherently worthless to society beyond entertainment at their respective arena. I don’t need people who know less than me telling me about ________. If others want to care then they can have at it.

Yes yes….so many times yes.gif

• Like 1

On 6/7/2023 at 11:30 AM, candyman93 said:

The moment we let China influence the NBA it was game over.

The only 2 leagues without heavy foreign influence is NFL and MLB. That’s because internationally nobody understands football and the MLB is ran by dinosaurs.

Sure, but the irony is that the same people that pretend they are up in arms about the 'influence' with the NBA/China somehow are very okay with a country who is responsible for 'multiple direct conflicts' with the US, buying the entirety of the PGA Tour. Which they now have complete control and influence over, including all of the finances. People are okay with that because hey! ha ha money talks..... but lets get mad about the NBA and China because they contribute a whopping 5.5% of the NBAs value, meanwhile SA just bought 100% of the PGA and ALL of its controlling interests 🙃

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Sure, but the irony is that the same people that pretend they are up in arms about the 'influence' with the NBA/China somehow are very okay with a country who is responsible for 'multiple direct conflicts' with the US, buying the entirety of the PGA Tour. Which they now have complete control and influence over, including all of the finances. People are okay with that because hey! ha ha money talks..... but lets get mad about the NBA and China because they contribute a whopping 5.5% of the NBAs value, meanwhile SA just bought 100% of the PGA and ALL of its controlling interests 🙃

78% of statics are made up. 

As someone who watches golf for the majors and not every week I am shocked by this announcement. LIV or Public Investment Fund (Sounds like The Human Fund from Seinfeld) will merge with the PGA and DP (European tour) but have a board. Sounds like for now the board will have 3 PGA board members and 1 LIV (though the head) and 1 DP. So I don’t think the PIF owns the PGA. I think they needed to make an agreement because the PGA couldn’t afford the litigation that the PIF was pursuing and the PGA was counter suing. If I had to guess they decided they would have to merge or go bankrupt. 

Now I feel bad for Rory in this situation. The PGA let him go and be the vocal person thinking they had his back. Well then they didn’t let him know to ease off the issue. He should feel betrayed by the PGA. And as one of the most vocal about LIV and the SA backing not being ok, he should be pissed. 

Unfortunately, until we’re off of fossil fuel, we have to play nice with Saudi Arabia. Mohammed bin Salman is horrible, but he’s trying to make SA more “modern.” It’s going to take that region 100 years of small incremental change.

They’re literally the ONLY country we can at least have civil talks with. I think we’re “okay” with UAE, Nigeria, and Qatar. 

If golf brings them closer to this century, then I guess that’s one positive.

Just now, candyman93 said:

I was about to post that. Jarmo sees the writing on the wall and needs to win NOW.

He’s a really good offensive dman. Bad defensive player. We got the best free agent in the class 2 years in a row. I like that. But the contract is horrible. 8 years for a 30 year old…. Jarmo must think he needs to get to the playoffs this year.