2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

10 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Back when you were a carefree 54 year old, still naive to the ways of the world? 😂 

Yep.  That’d be just last year for me.  Of course one of my things is that I have become so enchanted (yep....interesting word choice) by Australian Rules Football over the last 2 1/2 years, that I find myself discussing that quite a bit now.  

Plus, we have had well over a decade to complain about the futility of the Browns franchise, that many of us (me for sure) dong know how to react in this forum now that we are ‘respectable.’

• Like 1

Right now is the time to make moves per our current cap situation period. Having large bonuses early in their contracts similar to Bitonio and Landry now will help our present and future. Utilizing the carryover now in excess allows the Browns to manipulate numbers later.

Let's be real....we all know that the window is Bakers rookie contract, and the Browns won't have extreme carryover after the next 2 years. Depodesta and Dorsey are working closely together in utilizing that available cap intelligently. Once Garrett is needing to get resigned, he will be the focus...not others. Dorsey trusts himself too much to be able to sustain growth in the Draft 1st, 2nd and 3rd.....and then FA.

Just look at his moves last year. Trade for Landry (who ate the dead money...Dolphins), and signed with a heavy 2 year bonus with a 3rd year buyout. Trade for Tyrod (who ate the dead money...Bills) as to why it was a 3rd Rd pick. No dead cap. Randall for Kizer. GB ate Randall's 1st Rd guaranteed dead cap, while the Browns ate Kizers. At the end of the day....Dorsey and Depodesta know their window and understand how to manipulate the cap in a positive way.

On 1 year with Dorsey and Depodesta working the Roster, Offseason and Cap....They made $55 million available in carryover and got rid of all the shlubs that weren't worth a puck. 

Double Ds will choose draft and trades to manipulate the cap and prolong a window, before splurging erratically in FA. At the same time, they know the window is now and it won't be open forever. Perfect example....Seattle.

Seattle drafted well for 4 years and added talent when needed. 2 Super Bowls in that 4 year span. They didn't make the proper moves when needed (waited too long) as to why they fell off a bit, not counting injuries. I trust in Double D in keeping the Browns at the top of the AFC North for the next 5+ years with their smarts, patience and understanding from past experiences. 

The one thing I absolutely love about Dorsey...he's never satisfied and doesn't accept anything else of himself, his FO and team but winning. I trust Double D knows what they're doing.

• Like 1

So for all those that want to splurge now...now is the time. Does that mean 3 top dog Free Agents for 6 year contracts. No. We all know that, but that doesn't mean 2 strong candidates with shorter contracts (Ultimately 3/4 year buyout deals) after Vernon. Vernon is on his current contract (2 years left) with $42 Million of Carryover left after that deal, and roughly $27 Mil of regular cap left. That means out of the $56 Mil that was carried over, $14 Mil is being used and another $30 Mil needs to be used this year intelligently or it's lost.  If 80% isn't used....that remaining number goes to the league and is lost. It use it or lose it time.

And after hearing Kitchens say today they don't need a big name prolific WR to make this offense go....I'm going to assume OBJ is off the table. Haha

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Maybe he didn’t want to play here.

That is a very real possibility. I think it is still going to be harder than fans thing for the Browns to convince NFL players to want to be here. One year and 7-8-1 doesn't change the entire perception that quickly. I guarantee there is still a lot of uncertainty with Agents and NFL Players when it comes to the Browns. If after 2019 we have a winning record and still look like we have direction then we can say the perception has completely changed.

Another real possibility is that we simply have a different target in mind. Like someone mentioned already Rodney Gunter will only be 27 and has connections to Steve Wilks. Darius Philon has had an ever better last 2 years than Gunter and he will only be 25 years old. Maybe we like Ndamukong Suh more? He is 32 compared to Jackson's 29 but he played 89% of the snaps in LA last season and was still down right dominant at times.

• Like 1