2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

17 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

With Corbett swinging to RG full time, C is actually an area of depth need. A swing OG/C wouldn't be out of the question early to be honest.

If Kirksey doesn't stay healthy AND doesn't have a monster year, he's gone. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if he was a surprise "camp cut" if they feel like Avery is legit ready.

I really think Jenkins would be on a short list of players Dorsey would take with our first pick. Big, strong, stout center.

• Like 1

I don't think the OL depth on this team is anywhere near settled.  For as much talk as we've seen about the back 7 on defense, I look to see the same focus in the draft being put into some OL targets.  Tretter is an FA after this season and is at least a 50/50 bet to not be here.  Corbett is a huge question mark, no matter how optimistic you are about his prospects.  I won't be surprised if he's good, but I certainly won't be surprised if he's really bad either.  Greg Robinson is playing on a prove-it deal this year and could either take a step backwards or play really well and end up elsewhere.  Hubbard had an up and down first year, and I don't think the Browns would be sad to eventually stumble into his young replacement within the next year or two.  Bitonio is obviously a cornerstone.  If you look at things though, I think it's likely we will be looking for at least two new starters up front on the OL in the next year or so.  Not to mention how often injuries happen on the OL.  Between rounds 2-5, if we keep all six picks, I'd be surprised if at least two of those aren't up front on the OL, as well as two of them being at DB.  Add in another LB and another guy at an unknown position.  We are going to have some needs heading into the next off-season, and that's when hitting on guys on rookie deals can really help ease the transition. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

I don't think the OL depth on this team is anywhere near settled.  For as much talk as we've seen about the back 7 on defense, I look to see the same focus in the draft being put into some OL targets.  Tretter is an FA after this season and is at least a 50/50 bet to not be here.  Corbett is a huge question mark, no matter how optimistic you are about his prospects.  I won't be surprised if he's good, but I certainly won't be surprised if he's really bad either.  Greg Robinson is playing on a prove-it deal this year and could either take a step backwards or play really well and end up elsewhere.  Hubbard had an up and down first year, and I don't think the Browns would be sad to eventually stumble into his young replacement within the next year or two.  Bitonio is obviously a cornerstone.  If you look at things though, I think it's likely we will be looking for at least two new starters up front on the OL in the next year or so.  Not to mention how often injuries happen on the OL.  Between rounds 2-5, if we keep all six picks, I'd be surprised if at least two of those aren't up front on the OL, as well as two of them being at DB.  Add in another LB and another guy at an unknown position.  We are going to have some needs heading into the next off-season, and that's when hitting on guys on rookie deals can really help ease the transition. 

I, for one, am not nearly enough convinced that Hubbard/Robinson is a 16 game solution in year 2. I thought Kush was brought in to be that swing guard in a John Greco type fashion but they need another good option at OT to do that same that could potentially take over after this year for Hubbard/Robinson

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Completely agree, we’ve got a lot of bodies, but not a lot of long term solutions.

I think OT will be addressed day 2 with a guy they think is a starting option by next season at the latest.  C I think will be addressed day 3 with a similar plan.  Bring them in and redshirt if possible.

I know some folks think that since we don’t have an immediate need for starters we don’t have many needs, but I wholeheartedly disagree.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I know some folks think that since we don’t have an immediate need for starters we don’t have many needs, but I wholeheartedly disagree.

It isn't that we don't have "needs".  Obviously you are always trying to upgrade while getting younger at every position.  

I think the reason this year is so different is that our team(on paper) is better at every position group(as a whole) than it has been in the past.  We have gone out with starters that currently wouldn't make this roster as is.  

In my perspective we need secondary and OL depth the most.  With LB coming in almost in line with those.   The only difference is I believe we can get an impact player for both OL and seconday in the top of this draft, whereas I believe LB is at best going to be another Avery find, who will be a valuable addition, but not an impact player for at least a year or two.  

I don't see us trading up unless a player falls drastically.  For example Montez Sweat or Simmons falls to mid 20s.   I think with the depth of the DL/Secondary in this draft, they won't force anything.   I also believe they are likely to use picks and players during this draft to shuffle around as needed. 

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Completely agree, we’ve got a lot of bodies, but not a lot of long term solutions.

I think OT will be addressed day 2 with a guy they think is a starting option by next season at the latest.  C I think will be addressed day 3 with a similar plan.  Bring them in and redshirt if possible.

We could use immediate upgrades at 

C

LT

SS

CB

TE

LB

We have a lot of needs

2 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

We could use immediate upgrades at 

C

LT

SS

CB

TE

LB

We have a lot of needs

I don’t disagree, but it think we have at least a reasonable starting option at all of those positions (corner is thin). Not world beaters, but at least a viable veteran option.

LOTS of long term starter question marks and depth needs though, we need all the picks we can get imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t disagree, but it think we have at least a reasonable starting option at all of those positions (corner is thin). Not world beaters, but at least a viable veteran option.

LOTS of long term starter question marks and depth needs though, we need all the picks we can get imo.

We don’t have a starting SAM

Burnett will probably be gone after this year at SS

I have been a huge proponent of Greg Robinson but he’s not Joe Thomas

Tretter is probably gone after this year

Devalve is always hurt

Can always upgrade at CB

That was my line of thinking.

5 minutes ago, pnies20 said:

We don’t have a starting SAM

I’m assuming they like Avery for the role.  I’m fine with that after his showing last season. If he improves at all he should be at least decent.

Burnett will probably be gone after this year at SS

Agreed, he’s also not the most durable guy either.

I have been a huge proponent of Greg Robinson but he’s not Joe Thomas

And neither is Hubbard who’s not exactly inexpensive either.

Tretter is probably gone after this year

Very possible.  I wouldn’t mind seeing him stick around another year or two so other needs can be filled, but it would surprise me tbh.

Devalve is always hurt

Eh, he’s missed 3 games the last two years, 7 total in 3.  He’s not durable but he’s not a walking IR candidate either. He and Charles can fill the 3rd TE role well enough I suppose, but yeah, an upgrade should be on the table.  Especially since he and Charles are both FA at the end of the year.

Can always upgrade at CB

NEED an upgrade at CB.  We have 3 guys ready to play a significant role, they need at least 1-2 more.

That was my line of thinking.

Completely agree my man.

4 minutes ago, brooks1957 said:

When everyone remembers Tretter's play in 2018, we have to remember that he was playing basically on one leg for the bulk of the season due to the dreaded high ankle sprain. We will see how he rebounds in 2019.

However, there is this nugget too.

McCoy, Bradbury, Jenkins, there are a few guys in play.

There’s gonna be a nice option there at 49 at either C, CB, OT, or DL.  I really hope we just stay put and follow the board.

Make your move up at with day 3 picks to get back into round 3 if someone slips.

I would definitely put us at drafting a center over a TE in the draft this year.   

22 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

McCoy, Bradbury, Jenkins, there are a few guys in play.

There’s gonna be a nice option there at 49 at either C, CB, OT, or DL.  I really hope we just stay put and follow the board.

Make your move up at with day 3 picks to get back into round 3 if someone slips.

I agree.  I would put us picking a center over a TE in the draft this year.  However I truly believe our first pick is going to be someone that dropped which they valued high so they move up to get, or the BPA for OT, DL, Corner.

• Like 2

Agreed, LGB. I despise the idea of robbing Peter to pay Paul - i.e. trading up in the draft to bankrupt yourself later in the draft. Or worse yet - giving away any portion of next year's draft.

As was stated earlier, this is not the year we need the "star" - this year is about building depth. So, no need for the mega move - stay put and take what the draft gives you.

• Like 2