2019 Off-Season Roster Building: Free Agency & Draft

Mind Character

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

It’s 2019 not 1999, we don’t need a slew of LB’s.

If we can find Genard Avery clones every year in the 5th we’ll be just fine.

IDK the Browns had major issues at points stopping the run last year, I think it will all depend on what Dorsey does in FA. If he brings in Barr or Suh or Mosley ect. that could change draft plans but Im not overly comfortable going into this season with Schobert/injured Kirksey as the only 2 true LBs. Avery I think will be used more as a pass rusher on passing downs. 

IMO they need to add another quality player to the LB corp to not only protect against injuries to Schobert/Kirksey but also to have a position group thats better than average.

Plus, after watching more on Devin Bush last night---whew,  I would LOVE him on this team. His versatility to cover, run stop and edge rush is outstanding. Plus his sideline to sideline speed makes my mouth drool. Hes like Anthony Barr with a higher ceiling. 

He is exactly a player the Steelers/Ravens would take. I want to take that guy instead of having him beat our *** for the next decade

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Brings up a good question what should the focus be for Avery, pass rush or being a lb? 

He seems like a heck of a speed rusher, but also solid at lb. 

Why not a hybrid of both? Garrett can rush inside. Play Avery outside in some packages together. But I hope he’s Collins replacement. 

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Why not a hybrid of both? Garrett can rush inside. Play Avery outside in some packages together. But I hope he’s Collins replacement. 

To play lb he would probably want to lose 15 lb to rush the pass maybe gain 10lb 

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

To play lb he would probably want to lose 15 lb to rush the pass maybe gain 10lb 

Nah I think he’s fine. The gaining weight thing is kinda old nfl. You’ve got guys playing inside at light weights and beating guards and tackles with quickness. You have to be able to keep up with tight ends and WRs more than ever on the outside so gaining weight is counterproductive to that. The nfl is going small ball. 

1 hour ago, hornbybrown said:

A former Brown who on the right contract would be a nice pick up might be Travis Benjamin. Shouldn’t cost to much and can take the top off a Defense 

Hard pass.

Buster Skrine I can see. Benji, though, he would be nothing more than a hindrance on the development of guys like Damion Ratley and Derrick Willies. Whether those guys offer anything legit or not remains to be seen but at this point at least they have upside. Benji had his 15 min of fame and its long behind him now.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

Per PFF: The Browns are actively shopping TE Darren Fells. Apparently the Jets and Browns have had internal conversations about a trade.

Another 6th, possibly 7th round pick incoming yeehawwww

Interesting he was a solid player. 

Must be targeting te high?

1 minute ago, Kiwibrown said:

Interesting he was a solid player. 

Must be targeting te high?

IDK why. I feel that Devalve is a very capable TE2 given the chance. When he has been given snaps in the past, he has looked just fine. Problem is Devalve is being Duke Johnson'd by a new GM and coaching staff that didnt draft him.

After Dorsey called out Njoku at the combine for his blocking, it wouldnt surprise me if they took a TE somewhere in the mid-rounds. 

• Like 1