Maryland to Reinstate DJ Durkin, Coaching Saturday

winitall

That report was a laundry list of excuses - he was under a lot of pressure, he didn't have the opportunity to delegate, etc. etc. They actually even threw the "lacking fan support" (actual quote) out as a reason. He supervised a practice where a player was literally run to death. He didn't intervene. He didn't do anything. There was an hour where Jordan McNair suffered, then died through gross negligence.

I can't wait to see Wallace Loh fired - how he's handled this is beyond a disgrace.

And if the Maryland players themselves can't stand up for their safety, hopefully the parents will. No self-respecting parent would let their child player for a school that reviews this type of conduct for months on end and says "yep, that's okay".

There are other football coaches out there...

Why do programs stick behind morally bankrupt coaches like this?

Really hope this is one of those situations where the NCAA steps in. A student-athlete died under the watch of a football coach and the player's death could be linked to the coach's actions. On top of that, there's the numerous accounts that the culture in the program is toxic and that this wasn't one incident of cruelly treating players. 

Horrible decision by the university. I hope the family sues the University not only because they deserve damages (that won't bring back their son or even remotely help with their pain) but also because a message needs to be sent to schools that cover for coaches like this.

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

And if the Maryland players themselves can't stand up for their safety, hopefully the parents will. No self-respecting parent would let their child player for a school that reviews this type of conduct for months on end and says "yep, that's okay".

Not sure the number of players who walked out but yeah you’d think more would have.  

He’s not even close to 72-8. Why bother with this chaos? I have no idea what his buyout would be, but he’s a completely replaceable coach and the negative backlash from this will be way worse than whatever the buyout would be.

Shameful. However, all in all, Maryland loses in this and gets punished even worse by keeping him. The backlash will make the coaches, board, and administration miserable. The team will get no good recruits and fail miserably as a result. And the team will eventually fire people due to W/L after setting the program back 5 years. America wins here, though it’s a huge loss for that locker room. Feel for the players. 

4 hours ago, BigD88 said:

He’s not even close to 72-8. Why bother with this chaos? I have no idea what his buyout would be, but he’s a completely replaceable coach and the negative backlash from this will be way worse than whatever the buyout would be.

He's replaceable by the guy who replaced him, Matt Canada.  He's going to be on quite a few lists for potential head coach after the season is over. 

3 hours ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I am awestruck by the blatant, disturbing lack of care that a public university has for the life of one of it's students.

Everybody involved in this is taking the express lane to hell, do not pass go, do not collect $200.

How can anybody find this acceptable?

Agreed.  Wallace Loh at least said Maryland was at fault.  So he's getting forcibly retired, while Durkin, the AD and others get to keep their jobs, and return to them immediately.  It's an absolute disgrace to put athletics ahead of the safety of the athletes they are responsible for. 

I've given up with a friend/co-worker of mine who has kept defending it at every stop.  The shameful thing is he's uber Christian.  I get his hero worship of Ray Lewis, because he was a kid when that went down, but to defend this is ridiculous.  There is no defending this.  

Archived