Week 9 GDT: Titans at Cowboys

Titans fan 617

13 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

There were numerous times in this exact game where Mariota hits the top of his drop and steps up in the pocket. It's not all that uncommon. He could have there he just clearly didn't see the edge rusher or he wouldn't have had the football up there to be knocked away. That step was part of his footwork/timing, not an attempt to step into the pocket to avoid pressure. He didn't sense any pressure.

I understand that not even the best do it every single time, but don't say he had no other option but a strip sack when I watched him avoid it numerous times in the same game. 

He was sacked 4 times and avoided pressure a lot tonight and did a good job more often than not. 

Except he couldn’t have there. That’s my point. He probably didn’t sense pressure off the edge, but he probably did feel the pressure coming up the middle since that is where he’s looking. The other times in the game where he stepped up, it’s because he had somewhere to step into. Trying it on that play ends with a sack and a punt. Which yeah, is certainly a better option than a fumble, but he’s then, on the first possession of the game, supposed to be working under the impression that Conklin can’t put up any sort of fight?

He was able to sense it as the game went on, because he knew he had to. You can’t expect him to go into a game expecting Conklin to routinely get beaten and, from the first play, have his first check be that he has to immediately move from the top of his drop because a four-man rush is on top of him.

There have been so many legitimate complaints about Mariota’s performance this year, we shouldn’t need to manufacture artificial ones.

1 hour ago, TitanSS said:

Henry had 6 carries. Lewis had 19. He's in the backseat now.

Mariota had 10 carries, but 2 of them were sneaks. I didn't realize how often he ran the ball tonight.

Davis had 6 for 56 yards. He was basically that TD away from looking at a really good performance, but still solid for him.

Sharpe had 1 for 0 yards. Not sure if the pregame injury affected him. Any word?

Zeke had 17 carries for 61 yards. 3.6 per carry. Held him down after he had a strong start.

2 or 3 of those would be kneel downs for Mariota too.

9 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

I have no idea what was wrong with Conklin today. Guy was just bad. First performance of his in his career that I've seen that I'd say was downright bad I think.

Yeah, it was pretty rough. He just had no chance on a lot of plays. Was completely outplayed by Dennis Kelly.

34 minutes ago, titans0021 said:

Ah, it was actually a five-man rush. 

I didn't see Lewans man live, and I do in the replay, so you are correct he is probably not avoiding the sack there.

I was focused on Conklin's man because he clearly doesn't see him. Best case there he's gonna pull it down and take a sack unless he was ready to throw that instant.

10 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

I didn't see Lewans man live, and I do in the replay, so you are correct he is probably not avoiding the sack there.

I was focused on Conklin's man because he clearly doesn't see him. Best case there he's gonna pull it down and take a sack unless he was ready to throw that instant.

Yeah, we’re in agreement then. I definitely don’t think he sensed Lawrence off the edge, but that play was doomed with the rush coming up the middle.

Man the Cowboys get Amari...and with both teams coming off a BYE I was pretty nervous about this one...Dallas put it on Jacksonville pretty badly...But I still liked our chances.

Glad to see Mariota play very well...

Conklin...Ill give him a pass...he missed all off-season. These last few weeks were like Training Camp for him in a sense...but moving forward we need to see him be that All-Pro tackle he was his rookie year.

Just an overall solid win. I thought Zeke would put a hurting on us today...mostly due to the fact that they now have Amari as a bigtime receiving threat. But it seems like we contained all there weapons. And put a hurting on Dak it seems.

Whatever way the Ravens exploited us...it seems we were prepared for the same from Dallas...and it looks like our coaches did a real good job of countering it...I bet you if we played them again the result would be much different. And I think most of it has to do with playcalling...the more that our OC progresses as a playcaller the better our offense will perform. Theres little wrinkles here and there that if you don't pick up on will lead to disaster....because your just not calling the right plays.

10 hours ago, TitanRedd said:

We have to cut this Bum Butler next season, it’s says here if he’s cut next season as a pre June 1st  it saves us 5.4 mill ?

https://overthecap.com/player/malcolm-butler/3641/

No... He's got a13m casi hit next year. 5m of his bonus gets accelerated if we cut him... Makes it an 18m cap hit. If we designate it a post June 1st cut, the 5 m gets applied to the 2020 cap instead. 

Is the guaranteed salary next year that prevents the cut... Only way to avoid it is to get another team to take in the salary in a trade... We probably have to give up a pick... Kinda like the Texans did with Osweiler. 

He's not that bad though... I still think he earns some of that money this year... 

14 hours ago, TitanSS said:

We average 0.4 drops more per game than the average team.

Drops we'rent what made the difference between a 12 point offense and a 28 point offense. Marcus balling out was the difference.

To be fair... that number has come back to the norm.  After the Bills game, our drop % was just under 10%... with only the Browns worse than us.  Some of us have held on to that narrative, but it's really improved, especially these past 2 weeks. 

Today was the first time you really saw the pass game clicking.  The guys were making nice contested catches... and MAriota was trusting them, leading them, making the throw before they broke... it's scary how in sync they looked. 

Archived