Week 9 GDT: Titans at Cowboys

Titans fan 617

36 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i mean, this goes both ways. if either taylor or davis catch a gimme pass against the chargers it's a different ballgame.

Right, the outcome, but not complete offensive performance. We we had no drops in the first half of that game and still weren't scoring and our offense looked bad. In the second half we had drops, but our offense looked good. In this game we had no drops and had 2 TDs in the first half.

The real difference is Mariota, drops or not. When we plays well we are good on offense.

4 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

The whole team played great tonight. Marcus showed how great he can be when everyone is doing their jobs.  The OLine protected him/blocked great in the run and screen game, Dion played great and actually gave us a semblance of a run game, all the receivers played great and caught all the balls. The biggest thing for me tonight offensively was that LaFleur called a beautiful game. He really helped Marcus get into a rhythm with his calls, and I pray that he's figured something out with this offense and we can start performing like this consistently from here on out, because we're going to need it if we're going to make a run.

Outside of Malcolm Butler who continuously gets beat like a drum, our defense played amazing. Credit to Pees as well for calling a great game. Our Linebackers really played well, and we really swarmed to the ball well all night as a unit.

We played like a playoff team tonight, but as always, I wonder if we can play like this consistently.  If we do, we could be dangerous in the second half of the season.

He normally plays great in PrimeTime. It was great to see. 

I do hope we continue it over. If our defense plays like this and we can get an consistent offense we can be a true playoff team.

4 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

And as I've said countless times. I'm not caring about how many drops they have, I'm caring about when they drop them.

The offense as whole has/had numerous issues and yes Marcus was one of them, but not the top problem, to me. (Line, RBs, WRs, TEs, Coaches and QB).

So what evidence are you basing your opinion that our drops occur at more crucial moments than other teams?

You're making an assertion that are drops occur on third downs and in the end zone, but other teams don't at the same rate? Based on what did you come to this conclusion? 

Because it sounds like a biased assumption that our drops are more costly simply to support your claim that the poor performance is on the WRs and not the QB. You're basing this on absolutely no evidence whatsoever because there is no way to qualify that. 

3 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Right, the outcome, but not complete offensive performance. We we had no drops in the first half of that game and still weren't scoring and our offense looked bad. In the second half we had drops, but our offense looked good. In this game we had no drops and had 2 TDs in the first half.

The real difference is Mariota, drops or not. When we plays well we are good on offense.

Listen in a way we saying somewhat the same thing. I just think you have too much blame in the Marcus column. And that's a fair stance. 
If he balls, we win. If he isn't on his top game, every catch matters. 

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

You're making an assertion that are drops occur on third downs and in the end zone, but other teams don't at the same rate? Based on what did you come to this conclusion? 

our 3rd down drop rate was top 3 in the league coming into this game. i forget which spot it was in, i think it jumped from 3 to 1 at some point or vice versa.

So what evidence are you basing your opinion that our drops occur at more crucial moments than other teams?

Because it sounds like a biased assumption that our drops are more costly simply to support your claim that the poor performance is on the WRs and not the QB. You're basing this on absolutely no evidence whatsoever because there is no way to qualify that. 

Titans were at like the top of the league in 3rd down drops per NFL Matchup on twitter after that Chargers game.

So they do track that statistic and I'm wrong, but we were also top 3 in drops at one point and it turned out to actually be a very small difference in drops per game.

What is our 3rd down drop % and how does it compare to other teams?

Butler looked better in the 2nd half. Saw him give up one reception that I can remember.

God when he's awful he's awful though.

Yes, unfortunately that might earn him another week.

Brady and Bill are going to eat him alive. 

3 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Does what it's done all year.

Dunno why this comment keeps getting made like it's not one of the top 3 scoring defenses in football..

#1 scoring defense in the NFL so far... Overall points and ppg

3 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Buckle in folks. This won't be pleasant.

This war one of the funnest games I've experienced as a Titan fan... 

And I think earlier most of you thought I was just hating on Mariota for that strip sack. I wasn't at all. He had an amazing game tonight.

Yes, the sack was on Conklin. He missed a block. BUT, there were plenty of missed blocks tonight and there will be plenty more for the rest of his career. I don't see the point in saying "Well, the OL missed a block that's just a sack. Nothing you can do about it".

No, you can do something about it. Mariota could have stepped up into the pocket and bought himself time to make a play. He did it at least 3 times tonight on plays where the OT allowed a defender to get just as deep just as fast, so he absolutely could have there.  It doesn't make the sack his fault, but I don't know why I just have to settle for a sack because my RT is beat. There are times when an OL is beat where there is nothing you can do to avoid a sack ,and all I was saying is that was not one of those times.

Hopefully Mariota can stack some good performances on top of this one and continue to play well. He was balling out tonight. I think the miss to Davis in the endzone was more of a timing/throwing to a spot issue than an accuracy issue after seeing the replay. And if I'm going to rip Mariota for taking that sack I will say this, Davis could have caught that. It would have required him to act quickly, but I feel like he hasn't been getting his head around fast enough and looking for the ball. Mariota's anticipation has improved since the Ravens game and Davis seems to be feeling the timing a little slower than Mariota.

I still think we are running too often into stacked fronts. Interior OL giving up far too much penetration. Most of our successful runs felt like the RB had to do a lot of dancing. 

Dion Lewis is absolutely our #1 RB. Should be no question about it.

Jonnu Smith quietly blocked better against LA and he was better today also. The iOL was a big let down in run-blocking.

6 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

#1 scoring defense in the NFL so far... Overall points and ppg

This war one of the funnest games I've experienced as a Titan fan... 

I watched it with a room full of Cowboys fans including my girlfriend. It was excellent.

Archived