You Hear It First: Hip Hop & R&B

pwny

few tracks off the new nickelus f tape that dropped a couple hours ago. album called stuck. guys dropped like 10 classic albums already imo. no matter how im feeling, im always down to bump nickelus f. one of the few... maybe the only guy i think that does that for me. anyway, peep his older discography if you're looking for some new good **** imo. 

On 5/4/2018 at 3:08 PM, steadypimpin said:

Anyone buy that new Royce? Thinkin about buying it. How is it?

Been waiting for this for months and it’s a letdown IMO.  Production is very lackluster.  Phryme 2 wasn’t much better.  

12 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Been waiting for this for months and it’s a letdown IMO.  Production is very lackluster.  Phryme 2 wasn’t much better.  

Disagree, I thought it was pretty dope

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 5:23 PM, Willink said:

New Phonte album is incredible Te gotta be one of the the most gifted ever 

Between that the new roc marc, elzhi,  ev and earth gang year is off to one of the best starts in years, hopefully get Gibbs madlib soon too 

Also still bumping that showbiz - a room therapy 

Literally, I think this is what Phonte always wanted to be even dating back to Little Brother. I still miss LB though

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:07 AM, thrILL! said:

Bar for bar he can pretty much stand up to anyone.  But he doesn't have the discography.  

Nas & Jay are 1a and 1b and both have MULTIPLE 5 mic albums.  The Roots don't have a single one.  Illadelph Halflife was def dope but nowhere near Illmatic, The Blueprint, etc.

In the last few years, we've seen Nas & Jay drop album gems in Life Is Good and 4:44.  Meanwhile, Thought is busy singing corny Tonight Show jingles?  Nahhhhhh.  We need a solo album from Thought esp after this teaser.

To heck with discography, Thought had a totally different genre of rap, he didn't or never tried to appeal to the masses, he was conscious to the core. . Nas and Jay appealed and were marketed to appeal to the masses, The Roots appealed to their hardcore fans, big difference.He was always nice like this but didn't want to outshine his crew, the same with Sean Price. Plus we have to factor in longevity, Thought bars are as sharp as ever, Hov is trash, and Nas lost his fast ball

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 12:42 PM, steadypimpin said:

No offense, but those 2 songs and "artists" are trash. How do you even listen to that crap??? I'm a 100% hip hop head and you wouldn't catch me ever listening to wack stuff like that. I don't give a crap about the beat no matter how dope it is.

Faxxxx, its a shame how people settle for crumbs when you can have a whole buffet. I hate how people don't like to be challenged mentally trough hip hop.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

To heck with discography, Thought had a totally different genre of rap, he didn't or never tried to appeal to the masses, he was conscious to the core. . Nas and Jay appealed and were marketed to appeal to the masses, The Roots appealed to their hardcore fans, big difference.He was always nice like this but didn't want to outshine his crew, the same with Sean Price. Plus we have to factor in longevity, Thought bars are as sharp as ever, Hov is trash, and Nas lost his fast ball

So many nonsensical lulz in this post.  After Nastradamus, Nas never went back to trying to appeal to the mainstream.  He released the most street single of all time in Made You Look.  You never saw Eminem or others have the balls to do that.  He hasn't lost anything.  Life is Good was excellent and even his most recent single with DJ Shadow is fire.

Jay is trash?  Clearly you didn't listen to 4:44.  LoL you've already exposed yourself not knowing what you're talking about with this garbage take but I'll continue to indulge the rest of your airballs...

Thought didn't carve out his own genre.  Get outta here.  Native Tongues had already blazed that path that The Roots followed as peers and fans.  Sharp as ever?  Sure an incredible 10 minute freestyle.  Where are the albums tho?  How can you possibly mention longevity?  Roots have been putting out above average albums at best for years.  Nothing near Life is Good.  LIS, they're too busy playing cornball jingles for Jimmy Fallon.  It's cringeworthy.  Wow, what maximization of their abilities.  LoL

Where's the solo album?  It's never coming and while his loyalty to his band is admirable, it holds him back from reaching the elite of the elite (Just like Naughty did to Treach).  Bcuz the greatest albums of all time factor in more than just spitting.  Production is a huge part of that and The Roots simply aren't in the upper echelon of all time great producers.  That's why Thought always sounds better when he's hopping on other beats in features and freestyles.

Edited by thrILL!
Autocorrect is the devil

13 hours ago, thrILL! said:

So many nonsensical lulz in this post.  After Nastradamus, Nas never went back to trying to appeal to the mainstream.  He released the most street single of all time in Made You Look.  You never saw Eminem or others have the balls to do that.  He hasn't lost anything.  Life is Good was excellent and even his most recent single with DJ Shadow is fire.

Jay is trash?  Clearly you didn't listen to 4:44.  LoL you've already exposed yourself not knowing what you're talking about with this garbage take but I'll continue to indulge the rest of your airballs...

Thought didn't carve out his own genre.  Get outta here.  Native Tongues had already blazed that path that The Roots followed as peers and fans.  Sharp as ever?  Sure an incredible 10 minute freestyle.  Where are the albums tho?  How can you possibly mention longevity?  Roots have been putting out above average albums at best for years.  Nothing near Life is Good.  LIS, they're too busy playing cornball jingles for Jimmy Fallon.  It's cringeworthy.  Wow, what maximization of their abilities.  LoL

Where's the solo album?  It's never coming and while his loyalty to his band is admirable, it holds him back from reaching the elite of the elite (Just like Naughty did to Treach).  Bcuz the greatest albums of all time factor in more than just spitting.  Production is a huge part of that and The Roots simply aren't in the upper echelon of all time great producers.  That's why Thought always sounds better when he's hopping on other beats in features and freestyles.

Why so sensitive bro? I hold Nas and Jay to a high standard and I don't give free passes, if its good, its good, if its wack or meh, its wack or meh. Both have been very meh as of recent, even 4.44, its meh, if you settle for unsatisfactory or meh rhymes, knock yourself out, I don't.

As far as Black Thought, yeah, he has been killing it for while now and not just one freestyle, maybe you should listen and see for yourself, yes he is as SHARP AS EVER

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Why so sensitive bro? I hold Nas and Jay to a high standard and I don't give free passes, if its good, its good, if its wack or meh, its wack or meh. Both have been very meh as of recent, even 4.44, its meh, if you settle for unsatisfactory or meh rhymes, knock yourself out, I don't.

As far as Black Thought, yeah, he has been killing it for while now and not just one freestyle, maybe you should listen and see for yourself, yes he is as SHARP AS EVER

I understand if ppl don’t like artists or care for their music, but to call one of the best to ever do it trash?   The lack of respect for Jay these days is crazy.  I don’t care for Lebron or Tom Brady but I’d never call them trash.  So I don’t understand why ppl can’t recognize real.  I’d much rather hear somebody say Jay is really talented but he’s not their style.  Lebron certainly isn’t trash. Neither is Tom. Neither is Jay.  You can recognize someone’s greatness without being a fan.

I hated MCHG but he came correct with 4:44 and it was completely outside his comfort zone artistically.   It may have not had the level of wordplay we’re accustomed to but he was covering new ground for himself.  Plus, No ID crushed the production end.

I agree Thought is fire and those features you posted are all examples of that. But where’s the full album of that?  Where’s his Illmatic?  Where’s his The Blueprint?  We need that solo album to cement him in that upper echelon. And I want to hear it as badly as any other Thought fan. 

44 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

I agree Thought is fire and those features you posted are all examples of that. But where’s the full album of that?  Where’s his Illmatic?  Where’s his The Blueprint?  We need that solo album to cement him in that upper echelon. And I want to hear it as badly as any other Thought fan. 

100% fair point, he does need his own but he may not be into it like that. Also Andre 3000 only has one dope solo album (Albeit double album with Big Boi) and no one question his position in Hip Hop history. 

Also, I 100% respect Hov and the message he came across with on 4.44. I just look for a certain type aggression or hunger from Hov and Nas, I been a fan since day one, I just gotta be moved.

• Like 1

i dunno how many of yall are into the subgenre of rap but the secret circle super group broke up. antwon had multiple rape accusations that ended up being true.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bi5vdQflBTY/

sucks he's a ****ty human being, that was the album i've been waiting on. antwon was the weak link to begin with in that group, wish they could just cut his bars and release those tracks.