UPDATE: Lol nevermind, Harbaugh staying

SalvadorsDeli

11 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

How were we apparently never able to maximize Flacco's talent/strengths in an offense over the course of several years and several coordinators, but did so with Lamar Jackson in a week?

Clearly the FO misjudged Flacco. Offensive coaches gave him more responsibilities and he didn't improve his game at all. 

He became a sitting duck because he never learned to control the line of scrimmage. No audibles, no mobility. 

1 hour ago, AngusMcFife said:

Clearly the FO misjudged Flacco. Offensive coaches gave him more responsibilities and he didn't improve his game at all. 

He became a sitting duck because he never learned to control the line of scrimmage. No audibles, no mobility. 

Facepalm

Edit: If what you wrote was true, he would never have been the QB for so long. Flacco has his deficiencies but those claims are in the same mold as "Flacco doesn't hold receiver camps in the summer, Flacco won't throw to Lamar because he hates him etc."

Coaches have several times mentioned how Flacco made an audible at LOS, for example the pass to Maclin against the Bengals cover zero in the first game last season. The constant wild ignorant claims against Flacco is so annoying.

Not re-litigating Flacco anymore... or at least today. All about looking forward to the Chargers, and celebrating our baby boy Lamar.

So to try to stay moderately on topic, let me just say that I'm having real trouble deciding whether it will be more hilarious if Cincy hires Hue Jackson or Vance Joseph to replace Lewis. 

4 minutes ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Not re-litigating Flacco anymore... or at least today. All about looking forward to the Chargers, and celebrating our baby boy Lamar.

So to try to stay moderately on topic, let me just say that I'm having real trouble deciding whether it will be more hilarious if Cincy hires Hue Jackson or Vance Joseph to replace Lewis. 

I mentioned it in another thread, but based on both some Ravens fans and a lot of outside spectators, we have to get used to people just hating the quarterback of the Ravens. The FF general is already mindnumbingly stupid when it comes to Lamar Jackson, and it is not even because of Ravens homers. There is also some very salty Browns fans, which I guess will never like lamar after this weekend.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

Facepalm

Edit: If what you wrote was true, he would never have been the QB for so long. Flacco has his deficiencies but those claims are in the same mold as "Flacco doesn't hold receiver camps in the summer, Flacco won't throw to Lamar because he hates him etc."

Coaches have several times mentioned how Flacco made an audible at LOS, for example the pass to Maclin against the Bengals cover zero in the first game last season. The constant wild ignorant claims against Flacco is so annoying.

2 hours ago, Danand said:

Facepalm

You can give me one example of a time when Flacco made an audible, and you think that means he is good at it? To say that I am making a wild ignorant claim is insulting. Back up your point with data. Nothing is more annoying that people who think anecdotes are evidence. 

I am pointing out a legit deficiency in his game. He isn't good pre-snap. The league has changed enough over the years so that a previously minor deficiency, coupled with reduced mobility, has become a major issue for the Ravens offense as a whole. 

Anyhow, I didn't mean to rehash an old debate, but was trying to answer another poster's question. I will leave it be.   

3 hours ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

I have no expectation at all of Harbs moving on from Marty but I hope that's at least come up in these conversations. 

Yeah, it’s clear to me that Marty is the definition of the new Cam Cameron. He’s not creative in his playcalls and has been been bailed out by Greg Roman’s run scheme and Lamar Jackson’s elite mobility.

We’re getting the same training wheels with Lamar that Cameron had for Flacco. If this is just because Lamar hasn’t practiced the full range of pass plays, then maybe I can excuse it for this season, but I can’t say that I’m confident in that idea after that HORRIBLE Chargers gameplan where down by 3 scores we’re still doing run run pass.

5 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

after that HORRIBLE Chargers gameplan where down by 3 scores we’re still doing run run pass.

Hell, it wasn't even that for large parts of the game.  It seemed like it was run, run, run, punt for plenty of it

10 minutes ago, drd23 said:

Hell, it wasn't even that for large parts of the game.  It seemed like it was run, run, run, punt for plenty of it

"So Marty, how are we going to beat LAC?"

"Well, we're going to fully commit to running the ball from 3 WR 1 TE formations, but our 1 TE is Mark Andrews who, for all intents and purposes is a WR"

"......what?"

strange how a few weeks ago many on here liked Marty for developing Vick and he was such a great fit for Lamar Jackson.

well, i have absolutely no expectations whatsoever for next season, it really is just more of the same for the xth consecutive year.
so sick of this "just good enough" continuity BS.

yes, you can do much worse than JH but you can also do VERY much better. his style of football was already outdated in the early 00s.

man if Im Steve B waking up monday morning, there is no way I am not firing someone. Between that embarrassment of a game Sunday and then the reports that the chargers knew exactly what play was going to be ran.... Remember he has been on the record saying he waits to cool off first before firing/not firing, so this could still be in the cards. MM at a minimum needs to go 

Everyone is blaming Marty for the gameplan vs the Chargers, but maybe this is Harbaugh getting his chance to channel his inner-Bo Schembechler? Before 2014 everyone complained about Harbaugh's conservative run-first philosophy. Now with Lamar at QB, he has an excuse to run the ball ALL of the time. 

I agree Marty deserves blame for that loss. But he also coaxed a very raw Jackson to a 6-1 finish to the regular season. It just looked like they reached the max of their potential this season, and could not add any new wrinkles that could beat a very good defense for a second time in 15 days. 

Taking the season as a whole, Marty did a good job with Flacco in the first few games, and a good job developing Lamar at the end. I can excuse a coach for a bad game.

11 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

I can excuse a coach for a bad game.

I don't think Marty's woes are limited to Chargers 2. I've had issues with his passing concepts all year, from depth variance to personnel to route combinations. He showed no ability to adapt all year when our initial plan proved ineffective. He didn't install any man beater concepts when teams adjusted to our attack after the first quarter of the season. Where was the pre snap motion? He failed to incorporate Hayden Hurst all season. etc etc etc. It just was a horrible year all around. 

The Coaches hammered the Pistol attack because they felt it created a winning formula. Not because Lamar could only play within the whispers of Roman's old SF Offense. Lamar excelled with routine Spread concepts as the preseason progressed. And our attack was actually more diverse in Lamar's earlier games. A couple things happened though. They clearly got afraid of Jackson's accuracy issues and at the same time fell in love with the insane boost to the running game provided by the attention Lamar commands in a Zone-Read attack. They would open it up when defenses went soft, but they clearly wanted to limit the passing game basically just to easy open shots to Snead & Andrews.

It made sense for the Coaches to lean on successful tactics as the season went on. They were working and it's why they made the switch to Lamar. What didn't make sense though, was why there was no contingency plan for when they stopped working? It's just inexcusable. 

I think the important question here is how much did Lamar succeed because of Marty as opposed to how much did Lamar succeed in spite of Marty? I'm putting more stock in the latter given Mornhinweg's history. Jackson is a really, really good football player. Wasn't just a ball of unmolded potential coming into the season. 

Not expecting anything to happen with Marty though. Would be par for the course with Harbaugh. 

43 minutes ago, coordinator0 said:

Not expecting anything to happen with Marty though. Would be par for the course with Harbaugh.

"I'm excited to see what Marty does with Lamar Jackson after a full offseason where he's the starter"- Ryan Mink 2019

Rolling Eyes

Archived