• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

6 hours ago, Plat2 said:

If both Mahomes and Brees continue their torrid pace..I wouldn't hate another Co-MVP winner

I don't know if the voters can vote for a split, but this would be a time when it could apply.  It's splitting hairs and both deserve the honours.

33 minutes ago, Elky said:

Mahomes has zero business winning MVP over Brees. Take Mahomes off KC and they're still a playoff team; take Brees off NO and they're picking top 5 in the draft.

Based on what? The Saints have a higher ranked defense and rushing offense than us right now.

I don't really have a problem with people putting Brees over Mahomes. But statements like this are silly. Mahomes makes our team go. These are not the Chiefs from a few years back with a shut down defense. And people acting like this race is suddenly a landslide are weighing the last 3 weeks for Brees way too much. Especially when Mahomes still has the chance to impress tonight. Mahomes had a more impressive start to the season. First 4 games or so. The middle was a mixed bag, Mahomes was meh against Jacksonville, Brees struggled against Minnesota, but both had peaks too. And then Brees has owned the last 3 weeks. It will still come down to how each finishes out though.

23 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Based on what? The Saints have a higher ranked defense and rushing offense than us right now.

I don't really have a problem with people putting Brees over Mahomes. But statements like this are silly. Mahomes makes our team go. These are not the Chiefs from a few years back with a shut down defense. And people acting like this race is suddenly a landslide are weighing the last 3 weeks for Brees way too much. Especially when Mahomes still has the chance to impress tonight. Mahomes had a more impressive start to the season. First 4 games or so. The middle was a mixed bag, Mahomes was meh against Jacksonville, Brees struggled against Minnesota, but both had peaks too. And then Brees has owned the last 3 weeks. It will still come down to how each finishes out though.

13 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

This is ridiculous.

Alex Smith had a career year last season with practically the same team. Brees has proven over and over again that he can produce regardless of his supporting cast.

17 minutes ago, Elky said:

Alex Smith had a career year last season with practically the same team. Brees has proven over and over again that he can produce regardless of his supporting cast.

Alex Smith had Washington at 6-3 and leading the NFC East. That's simply not going to be the case, as Washington is now a legitimate 6-10 candidate after his injury.

As much as we love bashing on the guy, he's a very good QB. 

Brees completed 9 tight window throws today.

No QB has had more than 6 in a single game this season.

9-12 121 yards 2 TDs 146.2 QB rating

I'm pretty sure one of the incomplete passes was the drop by Kirkwood before the Kamara touchdown pass.

Meanwhile, Patrick Mahomes has the second lowest aggressive stats. In other words, he isn't having to throw into tight windows.

courtesy of nextgen stats. 

Brees played very well yesterday for the most part, but I wouldn't consider it his best game by any means.  There were several uncharacteristic missed throws he usually makes.  The game was a steamroll so it didn't matter.

In an MVP race this tight, one bad game can end it for someone.  Brees is capable of having a bad game.

1 hour ago, GamedayGuru said:

Brees completed 9 tight window throws today.

No QB has had more than 6 in a single game this season.

9-12 121 yards 2 TDs 146.2 QB rating

I'm pretty sure one of the incomplete passes was the drop by Kirkwood before the Kamara touchdown pass.

Meanwhile, Patrick Mahomes has the second lowest aggressive stats. In other words, he isn't having to throw into tight windows.

courtesy of nextgen stats. 

I don’t buy that stat. I remember earlier in the season they had Mahomes having, IIRC, one tight window throw when there were at least two in the game that previous week (I posted pics to disprove it). It’s inconsistent to say the least.

EDIT: I suppose I could have a different definition of “tight window”, but in both instances the receiver was contacted as they were catching the ball - the coverage was tight.

2 hours ago, Elky said:

Mahomes has zero business winning or sharing MVP over Brees. Take Mahomes off KC and they're still a playoff team; take Brees off NO and they're picking top 5 in the draft.

In most years I would agree with you that the Saints without Brees isn't a playoff team, this year... it really depends on the backup plays.  Their defense hasn't been too bad lately and with Ingram coming back their running game is much better.  Without Brees though they'd probably be 6-4 right now though, possibly 5-5, as he's done a lot to help get them to the 9-1 record including the big win against St. Louis.

1 hour ago, Jakuvious said:

I think the fact that Alex Smith had the success he did last year means this KC team is definitely better than just run of the mill but for the offense to be playing at the level it is is a testament to how good Mahomes is.  It's similar to the Brady/GOAT discussions that people like to try to dismiss when it gets brought up.  Matt Cassell led the Patriots to a 10-5 record, 11-5 for the entire season missing the playoffs in one of the very rare times an 11-5 team misses the playoffs, but Brady took nearly the same team to 16-0 the following year.  Obviously the Patriots were a good/great team with or without Brady, but Brady elevates the team to another level due to the difference between Cassell, who is trash, and Brady, who deservedly belongs as the top person brought up in GOAT conversations.  It's unfair to Mahomes somewhat because we haven't seen the Saints without Brees in over 12 years so there is no way to make an educated guess on how good the Saints would or wouldn't be without Brees.  Brees though is such a vital aspect of the Saints that we really don't know how much his presence will be missed when he is gone.

Right now I still put it as a toss-up between Mahomes and Brees.  If you look at both of their stats as of right now, 10 games in:

Drew Brees - 76.9% comp, 2964 yards, 25 TD, 1 INT, 8.9 Y/A, 126.9 QB Rating, 89.3 QBR

Patrick Mahomes - 67% comp, 3150 yards, 31 TD, 7 INT, 9.1 Y/A, 117.4 QB Rating, 84.8 QBR

It's extremely close between the two and I don't think either is a wrong answer.  Though I would slightly favor Brees obv.

29 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

I don’t buy that stat. I remember earlier in the season they had Mahomes having, IIRC, one tight window throw when there were at least two in the game that previous week (I posted pics to disprove it). It’s inconsistent to say the least.

EDIT: I suppose I could have a different definition of “tight window”, but in both instances the receiver was contacted as they were catching the ball - the coverage was tight.

Tight window throw is not always the best play anyway.  

3 hours ago, Elky said:

Mahomes has zero business winning or sharing MVP over Brees. Take Mahomes off KC and they're still a playoff team; take Brees off NO and they're picking top 5 in the draft.

Mahomes is the reason this is a playoff team. This team was picked to finish last by many because of Mahomes. The defense is one of the worst in the league and Alex Smith was here this team is probably 3rd behind Chargers and Broncos in the AFC West. 

20 minutes ago, jaa1025 said:

Mahomes is the reason this is a playoff team. This team was picked to finish last by many because of Mahomes. The defense is one of the worst in the league and Alex Smith was here this team is probably 3rd behind Chargers and Broncos in the AFC West. 

Anyone who thought anyone besides Oakland was finishing last had no idea what they were talking about.

Archived