• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

11 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

I don't know, ask a majority of rookie/first years starters to start out on fire and then slow down a bit. They find tendencies, weak spots, etc. 

That's a little too arbitrary for my liking. I'd be interested to see those names if you could provide some. Not that Mahomes couldn't or wouldn't apply to that category, but I think it's unfair to assume defenses can't stop him because they haven't seen enough of his tape. It's too vague of an answer. It's week 11, how much tape do they need? I think the phenomena of young QBs starting hot applies more to defenses underrating a young QBs ability to consistently beat them, instead of respecting them for how good they are. Perhaps Mahomes is just that difficult to stop. He's definitely not playing like a second year pro; he's making checks at the line and reading defenses like a veteran. Although he has been turning the ball over more in recent weeks, so who knows. 

I do agree his numbers are going to tail off, but I think that has to do more with his inability, or any QB, to remain that hot for 16 games. Eventually mistakes will happen, players have an off week etc. What goes up must come down type of thing.

Here's something to consider: Could you also make the case for defenses to eventually find a way to slow down Brees' offense this season? If not, is the difference only age and/or experience? 

This is all just speculation on my part, as I don't have an answer. I just wanted to do some digging on specifics in regards to the original statement. 

31 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

That's a little too arbitrary for my liking. I'd be interested to see those names if you could provide some. Not that Mahomes couldn't or wouldn't apply to that category, but I think it's unfair to assume defenses can't stop him because they haven't seen enough of his tape. It's too vague of an answer. It's week 11, how much tape do they need? I think the phenomena of young QBs starting hot applies more to defenses underrating a young QBs ability to consistently beat them, instead of respecting them for how good they are. Perhaps Mahomes is just that difficult to stop. He's definitely not playing like a second year pro; he's making checks at the line and reading defenses like a veteran. Although he has been turning the ball over more in recent weeks, so who knows. 

I do agree his numbers are going to tail off, but I think that has to do more with his inability, or any QB, to remain that hot for 16 games. Eventually mistakes will happen, players have an off week etc. What goes up must come down type of thing.

Here's something to consider: Could you also make the case for defenses to eventually find a way to slow down Brees' offense this season? If not, is the difference only age and/or experience? 

This is all just speculation on my part, as I don't have an answer. I just wanted to do some digging on specifics in regards to the original statement. 

I mean, its happened quite often where a mildly talented or young QB comes in lights it up for a few weeks only to tail off once defenses have more tape to review. Am I saying thats going to happen? No, but it certainly is something that does happen so dismissing it seems very odd. 

Archived