• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

4 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

He is darn close to Gurley in production and he has absolutely been the cog that the Steelers' season turned around on. He, by definition, has been an mvp. Now please understand, I voted for Mehommes. 

mLNIjMj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

771 rushing yards, 39 catches, 387 receiving yards, 11 touchdowns, in 512 snaps.

Vs.

988 rushing yards, 40 catches, 402 receiving yards, 17 touchdowns, in 567 snaps.

I guess it might be sort of close? But Gurley is decisively more productive. Even then, being close in production as a running back doesn’t constitute MVP for me. And if we’re going by actual definition, you’d trade Conner for Big Ben?

40 minutes ago, Yin-Yang said:

mLNIjMj_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&f

771 rushing yards, 39 catches, 387 receiving yards, 11 touchdowns, in 512 snaps.

Vs.

988 rushing yards, 40 catches, 402 receiving yards, 17 touchdowns, in 567 snaps.

I guess it might be sort of close? But Gurley is decisively more productive. Even then, being close in production as a running back doesn’t constitute MVP for me. And if we’re going by actual definition, you’d trade Conner for Big Ben?

Yes, he is, Todd Gurley is definitely above and even with James Connor in the discussion I still would have voted for Pat Mahomes. Gurley is the only RB out producing Conner. having said that I feel that James Connor has been more consistent to the offense than Ben Roethlisberger has. I don't know that I would say I would trade Ben Roethlisberger for James Donner but we have definitely seen in the past situations where two premiere players have produced well and one has done better than the other and I think that is the case on this particular roster. I was not making an argument for why James Conner and maybe more deserving than another guy for the MVP but that he is worthy of being in the discussion of MVPs and I do feel very strongly that he is worthy of being in the discussion. Overall I think that the most deserving person far and away is Pat Mahomes

The funny part is that if I had said why isn't Le'Veon Bell in this discussion had Le'Veon Bell actually shown up and week one no one would argue it. However the irony of that is James Conner is doing better this season almost than Le'Veon Bell has done in his best career season and far better than Le'Veon Bell did last year.

when will the league just say the MVP will be a QB so that is one award, then there is the other MVP award? TG or Connor could both have great seasons, but MVP will be a QB. Really though,  what kind of stats would a RB have to put up to win the award vs a QB that will be near 5K yards and 45 TD's?   

I would say Mahommes because he has taken his team to the next level, but Brees has been the best QB IMO, both are playing at the highest level. Maybe a split for those 2 could happen but I can't remember MVP being split.  Splitting hairs between those 2, they appear unstoppable right now.

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The funny part is that if I had said why isn't Le'Veon Bell in this discussion had Le'Veon Bell actually shown up and week one no one would argue it. However the irony of that is James Conner is doing better this season almost than Le'Veon Bell has done in his best career season and far better than Le'Veon Bell did last year.

what do you mean "almost". I don't know of any area bell was better in other than number of receptions.  The team as a who is so much better in the RZ now, and I doubt that is a coincidence because of the 8 and 9 man fronts that connor faces and more often than most defeats.  Even if Connor  or Gurley gets 25TD's , I doubt they win MVP since that will be for a QB.

@wwhickok Nah, I’d balk at Bell too. I don’t think running backs are in the MVP discussion unless they’re having a historic season and the QBs are having a down year. Conner’s playing well, but 2018 isn’t some sort of all-time season (unless he drastically ramps it up). 

If he’s definitively behind Gurley, and Gurley is at best third in MVP voting (behind Mahomes and Brees) then is he really in the discussion? I think there’s a pretty major gap between him and Brees/Mahomes, so why would anyone feel the need to drop his name in the bucket if he’s not really particularly close to the actual contenders? Gurley might at least break a record.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

2,097 yards, while coming back from a torn ACL. Sound about right...?

that was several years ago, the league has made it even more difficult for the RB to do it. So, in 2018 I don't even know if 25TD's total, 2500 yards total would win it if the QB's are healthy and play 15 or 16 games.  I would like a RB to win it more than anyone, because I am tired of the league pampering the QB's and taking away defence. 

1 hour ago, Yin-Yang said:

@wwhickok Nah, I’d balk at Bell too. I don’t think running backs are in the MVP discussion unless they’re having a historic season and the QBs are having a down year. Conner’s playing well, but 2018 isn’t some sort of all-time season (unless he drastically ramps it up). 

If he’s definitively behind Gurley, and Gurley is at best third in MVP voting (behind Mahomes and Brees) then is he really in the discussion? I think there’s a pretty major gap between him and Brees/Mahomes, so why would anyone feel the need to drop his name in the bucket if he’s not really particularly close to the actual contenders? Gurley might at least break a record.

We can agree to disagree. Theres a ton of games left and Connor is having a great year. He will likely finish better than Bell, previously the leagues best RB, has had.

Archived