• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

5 minutes ago, Raves said:

They do as it puts Mahomes at 37 TDs and 10 INTs.  Or maybe the CAY and IAY aren't calculated right away like the TDs/INTs are.

They’re from NextGen stats so I honestly don’t know how accurate they are and I don’t believe they were updated to include tonight. So take them with a grain of salt.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

Both are deserving. I think it’ll come down to efficiency vs bulk - how many bulk stats Drew can get while keeping his efficiency edge vs how efficient Mahomes can get while maintaining his bulk. 

Cant ignore Mahomes giving away the ball. I’m hesitant to include fumbles lost just because of how fluky a forced fumble can be, but even then Drew slaughters him. Even if we say two of Mahomes’ picks were fluky, he still gave it away at the end.

From a TO perspective, there’s really no excuse you can give Mahomes vs Brees. It’s just how much you want to value his bulk stats/worse OL. 

Pretty crazy to think we’d be looking at a +65% completion percentage, +9 YPA, 117 passer rating, and then say: “he’s losing the efficiency battle”.

I agree.  Brees will need to maintain his pace and keep the turnovers ultra minimal to have a chance.  

I give a slight edge to Brees this very moment, but when turnovers are your calling card, one bad game can ruin it for good.

3 minutes ago, Raves said:

What if Brees breaks the record for Comp % and QBR while also having the highest TD/INT ratio in a single season?

The same Comp % record in a season Sam Bradford broke? No I don't think that  would do it and QBR would make it close but Mahomes would be the 3rd QB ever to go for 50TDs. All of those QBs won the MVP. 

1 minute ago, Jlowe22 said:

I agree.  Brees will need to maintain his pace and keep the turnovers ultra minimal to have a chance.  

I give a slight edge to Brees this very moment, but when turnovers are your calling card, one bad game can ruin it for good.

Some other factors here: Drew Brees legacy MVP vs Patrick Mahomes “new kid on the block”. Really seems like those will be factors and could be decided on whichever the media decides to run with. 

Brees at 9-1 vs Mahomes at 9-2 has to count for something too.

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

I think Brees wins it because the voters will look at goff and mahomes and say 'they will have other opportunities' while being surprised Brees doesn't have one. Consider it a lifetime achievement award 

This might happen, and I hope it doesn't.  If it's close and could go either way, then that's one thing, but if it's not close and Brees gets it anyway, It'll just make the MVP award a bigger joke than it is already.

Just now, Classic said:

The same Comp % record in a season Sam Bradford broke? No I don't think that  would do it and QBR would make it close but Mahomes would be the 3rd QB ever to go for 50TDs. All of those QBs won the MVP. 

you mean the Comp % record that Bradford barely beat Brees' 2011 season, only for Brees to set it again last year at 72%, he's currently completing like 75.6% of his passes... that's ridiculous.

I think a big factor if both maintain the pace they are on will be looking at both players against the Rams.  They'll look at the common opponent for each, Mahomes put up bigger numbers but also had costly turnovers that lost them the game meanwhile Brees put up 346 yards, 69.4 comp%, 4 TDs, 0 INTs in a win.

7 minutes ago, Raves said:

you mean the Comp % record that Bradford barely beat Brees' 2011 season, only for Brees to set it again last year at 72%, he's currently completing like 75.6% of his passes... that's ridiculous.

This isn’t necessarily my POV, but I think the voters will put a lot more weight into a record breaking TD season than a record breaking completion percentage season.

1 minute ago, Yin-Yang said:

This isn’t necessarily my POV, but I think the voters will put a lot more weight into a record breaking TD season than a record breaking completion percentage season.

That's just one of the various aspects that Brees will be potentially leading in.  Based off current projections, Mahomes with 11 games and Brees with 10, their 16 game seasons would be:

Brees - 4742 yards, 76.9 comp%, 40 TD, 2 INT, 126.9 QBR, 3 Fumbles

Mahomes - 5277 yards, 67.5 comp%,  54 TD, 15 INT, 117.4 QBR, 10 Fumbles

That would put Mahomes just short of the TD record.  But also to put those seasons into perspective with Mahomes:

Brady (2007) - 4806 yards*, 68.9 comp%*, 50 TD*, 8 INT, 117.2 QBR,* 6 Fumbles (16-0 record) (No one even close to him)

Manning (2013) - 5477 yards*, 68.3 comp%, 55 TD*, 10 INT, 115.1 QBR, 11 Fumbles (13-3 record) (Next Closest was Brees at 39 TD, 12 INT, 5162 yards, 104.7 QBR, 68.8 comp%, 11-5 Record)

*Led the league.

In 2013 would be the closest example to Mahomes/Brees this year, but Manning was just as efficient as Brees that year but had 2 more wins and 15 more TD.  This year Mahomes would be less efficient than Brees, possibly a worse record, though would have the yards and TDs to his name.

I rounded all numbers to the nearest whole number.

Call me crazy but I think Goff closed the gap between him and Mahomes. He made the plays to help the Rams win tonight and Mahomes didnt at the end. Tonight and against the Saints, when Gurley was non-existent, it was Goff that carried the Rams on his back to come back from 21pts down to tie the Saints in the Superdome and tonight to help the Rams win. Goff outplayed ARod and help the Rams beat the Packers when the team trailed 0-10 for most of the 1st half. He picked up that 4th and 1 in Seattle to help the Rams win a close one. He shined against Cousins and the Vikings in a win on TNF and thats 5 days after he outplayed Rivers and helped the Rams beat the Chargers. Like I think tonight Goff closed the gap on Mahomes because of how he played plus he made the game-winning plays to help the Rams win where as Mahomes didnt when the Chiefs had the ball twice at the end and he threw two interceptions. 

So Ill say its Brees then Mahomes/Goff tied.

1 minute ago, stl4life07 said:

Call me crazy but I think Goff closed the gap between him and Mahomes. He made the plays to help the Rams win tonight and Mahomes didnt at the end. Tonight and against the Saints, when Gurley was non-existent, it was Goff that carried the Rams on his back to come back from 21pts down to tie the Saints in the Superdome and tonight to help the Rams win. Goff outplayed ARod and help the Rams beat the Packers when the team trailed 0-10 for most of the 1st half. He picked up that 4th and 1 in Seattle to help the Rams win a close one. He shined against Cousins and the Vikings in a win on TNF and thats 5 days after he outplayed Rivers and helped the Rams beat the Chargers. Like I think tonight Goff closed the gap on Mahomes because of how he played plus he made the game-winning plays to help the Rams win where as Mahomes didnt when the Chiefs had the ball twice at the end and he threw two interceptions. 

So where is Brees in your consideration then... 

5 minutes ago, Raves said:

That's just one of the various aspects that Brees will be potentially leading in.  Based off current projections, Mahomes with 11 games and Brees with 10, their 16 game seasons would be:

Brees - 4742 yards, 76.9 comp%, 40 TD, 2 INT, 126.9 QBR, 3 Fumbles

Mahomes - 5277 yards, 67.5 comp%,  54 TD, 15 INT, 117.4 QBR, 10 Fumbles

That would put Mahomes just short of the TD record.  But also to put those seasons into perspective with Mahomes:

Brady (2007) - 4806 yards*, 68.9 comp%*, 50 TD*, 8 INT, 117.2 QBR,* 6 Fumbles (16-0 record) (No one even close to him)

Manning (2013) - 5477 yards*, 68.3 comp%, 55 TD*, 10 INT, 115.1 QBR, 11 Fumbles (13-3 record) (Next Closest was Brees at 39 TD, 12 INT, 5162 yards, 104.7 QBR, 68.8 comp%, 11-5 Record)

*Led the league.

In 2013 would be the closest example to Mahomes/Brees this year, but Manning was just as efficient as Brees that year but had 2 more wins and 15 more TD.  This year Mahomes would be less efficient than Brees, possibly a worse record, though would have the yards and TDs to his name.

I rounded all numbers to the nearest whole number.

We have to see how things play out. Brees gets one vs TB but Mahomes gets two vs Oakland.

5 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

Brees is 1st then Mahomes/Goff are tied for 2nd

After one game against a non-conference opponent with no defense ? It seems weird that this one game would decide the difference between Goff being 3rd and tied for second. 

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

We have to see how things play out. Brees gets one vs TB but Mahomes gets two vs Oakland.

Well with how the Carolina and Atlanta defense have been playing, he also has 3 of those games as well...  The only 2 good defenses (based on PPG) left on the Saints schedule are Pittsburgh(10th) and Dallas (3rd).  2x Carolina is 22nd, Atlanta 28th, and Tampa Bay 32nd

Archived