• Drew Brees
    • Tom Brady
    • Todd Gurley
    • Jared Goff
    • Matt Ryan
    • Phillip Rivers
    • Cam Newton

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't think any Chiefs fan has a problem with people picking Brees. We take offense with how some (like the Twitter feed Mookie posted in like 3 threads) choose to bash Mahomes to prop up Brees in order to make that argument. Brees is in the lead because he's having a slightly more ridiculously amazing season than Mahomes is. Not because what Mahomes is doing is easy or unimpressive.

I will absolutely agree with that. Mahomes wins MVP every other season dating back to 2010 except for ‘11 Rodgers and possibly ‘13 Manning. Brees is just possibly having a Top 3 QB season of all time. It reminds me a ton of Rodgers ‘11.

5 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't think any Chiefs fan has a problem with people picking Brees. We take offense with how some (like the Twitter feed Mookie posted in like 3 threads) choose to bash Mahomes to prop up Brees in order to make that argument. Brees is in the lead because he's having a slightly more ridiculously amazing season than Mahomes is. Not because what Mahomes is doing is easy or unimpressive.

No one is bashing Mahomes. He’s a top 3 QB this year, he’s played unreal football. I’m just posting facts. Mahomes has benefited from his system and skill players far more than any QB in the league. How can we not take that into account in an MVP discussion? 

1 hour ago, Malik said:

If the passes are so easy how come this offense wasn't anywhere near as productive last year with Alex Smith? The only difference is the addition of Sammy Watkins. They've scored 404 points this season and 415 last season with Alex Smith. They're going to shatter that with 5 games left. Just like in 2008 with the Patriots or 2003 with the Rams the teams were still loaded in offensive talent but the new QBs couldn't put them anywhere near their offense heights when they had Brady and Warner respectively. Simply having great offensive talent outside of the QB doesn't guarantee an explosive offense. 

Smith didn’t have the arm to utilize Hill to his max potential and Mahomes is a far better QB than Smith. The fact that Alex Smith had by far a career year last year with these weapons is telling though. 

6 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I will absolutely agree with that. Mahomes wins MVP every other season dating back to 2010 except for ‘11 Rodgers and possibly ‘13 Manning. Brees is just possibly having a Top 3 QB season of all time. It reminds me a ton of Rodgers ‘11.

Yep. Mahomes is having a fantastic season, Brees is having one of the best seasons ever. 

There's no need to bash Mahomes. That kid is a rock star. I honestly think most of the MVP stuff is overblown. If it were a true MVP award, it'd go more frequently to positions other than QB and to teams without winning records occasionally. There might also be an actual formula to calculate it outside of raw stats. Truth is, it's an award given by media and NFL personalities who get to vote on it for any reason they like. It is certainly based on raw stats a little bit but there's always tons of room for argument over those. That's where I think Mahomes has a problem this year. Brees has never won and his time in the NFL is running out. There's such a strong emotional case to be made for him that I just don't know how he doesn't get it if he keeps playing like he is. If he were to fall off a cliff and toss 20 ints in the next few weeks well... yeah. If things stay as they are, though, you'll see several votes for a few other players (including Mahomes) but I'd put money on Brees taking it home.

Honestly, if Ben Simmons can win ROTY in the NBA in his second season, Mahomes should win it this year lol. Putting it in perspective, the fact that this is his first full season and he's putting up these numbers is spectacular. He's made a few mistakes that wouldn't happen with more experience, but his number of "wow factor" plays is astounding

53 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not really. This isn't a top 3 QB season of all time when you take into account the context of the season.  The landscape of the current NFL is that it is MUCH easier to pass than ever before, if you were to compare this season to 13', the average passer rating is over EIGHT points higher, which is a monumentally large increase. Back in 2013, a 100 passer rating was considered to be great efficiency and indicative of an upper echelon QB, now it is simply just being slightly above average efficiency. When you adjust for the ease by which things are going this season, it becomes significantly less impressive. If he put up these same numbers in 2010 or 2013, this would be easily the best QB season of all time. But, it isn't, and is certainly not top 3 of all time and probably closer to top 10 maybe. 

16 minutes ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Not really. This isn't a top 3 QB season of all time when you take into account the context of the season.  The landscape of the current NFL is that it is MUCH easier to pass than ever before, if you were to compare this season to 13', the average passer rating is over EIGHT points higher, which is a monumentally large increase. Back in 2013, a 100 passer rating was considered to be great efficiency and indicative of an upper echelon QB, now it is simply just being slightly above average efficiency. When you adjust for the ease by which things are going this season, it becomes significantly less impressive. If he put up these same numbers in 2010 or 2013, this would be easily the best QB season of all time. But, it isn't, and is certainly not top 3 of all time and probably closer to top 10 maybe. 

It’s the effiency numbers my dude

39 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

You tried to discredit it. 

I was being objective about it instead of taking it at face value. It becomes less impressive when you actually look at it and see that the efficiency numbers across the league are exponentially higher than the other seasons that you compared it to. 

2 minutes ago, C0LTSFAN4L1F3 said:

Assuming that Brees keeps this pace for the rest of the season, the following seasons are better:

84' Marino

04' Manning

13' Manning

11' Rodgers

07' Brady

94' Young

99' Warner

Probably more that I'm forgetting

Some of these are HUGE stretches. I think you’re severely underrating how crazy efficient Brees has been. The dude has 2 INTs. Only seasons I’m definitely taking over his right now is 07 Brady and 11 Rodgers. 

Archived