Sports Cards

MookieMonstah

Anyone a sport card collector? I was huge in my younger years and got back into it recently. Found a Tom Brady rookie autographed card in a storage locker auction and it re-peaked my interest. Just got a Mahomes rookie card with a pretty sick patch that I'll send to get graded soon. Some of these cards go for crazy money.

28 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Anyone a sport card collector? I was huge in my younger years and got back into it recently. Found a Tom Brady rookie autographed card in a storage locker auction and it re-peaked my interest. Just got a Mahomes rookie card with a pretty sick patch that I'll send to get graded soon. Some of these cards go for crazy money.

I have a huge box of cards in my attic. A handful of them are worth $10-20 last I checked... but none of any real value. Most of them are late 80s/early 90s cards and are more or less worthless. 

Have a few game worn material cards, a serial # cards and a couple autos. Nothing too crazy though. I saved the cards I have  to either get back into them someday or just sell them as a lot. But I can’t bring myself to do either

Side note: it (might be) really easy to get autographed cards from guys who aren’t superstars. If that kind of thing interests you

I sent Lance Moore an envelope with a photo, a card and a postage paid return envelope with my address on it. He signed the picture and card and sent them a back when the season was over. It was pretty cool and now the photo is on display my man cave. 

Mileage may vary based on the player of course

5 minutes ago, Dome said:

Side note: it (might be) really easy to get autographed cards from guys who aren’t superstars. If that kind of thing interests you

I sent Lance Moore an envelope with a photo, a card and a postage paid return envelope with my address on it. He signed the picture and card and sent them a back when the season was over. It was pretty cool and now the photo is on display my man cave. 

Mileage may vary based on the player of course

Thats pretty cool. How do you get players addresses? 

8 minutes ago, Dome said:

I have a huge box of cards in my attic. A handful of them are worth $10-20 last I checked... but none of any real value. Most of them are late 80s/early 90s cards and are more or less worthless. 

Have a few game worn material cards, a serial # cards and a couple autos. Nothing too crazy though. I saved the cards I have  to either get back into them someday or just sell them as a lot. But I can’t bring myself to do either

Yeah, I grew up in the 90s and unfortunately that era of sports cards in general is pretty worthless. Mahomes card I got is already worth a few hundred, more if I get it graded. The Brady card I found sells for anywhere between 5-10K depending on the grade.

I have several rookie Chris Paul autograph cards.  One of them even has a piece of his jersey next to the autograph.  I have an Ed Reed rookie card and a bunch of others.  I got the Paul autographs when he first entered the NBA and nobody knew what he was going to become.  He actually got some his hype stolen away during that time because he wasn't even the first PG selected, which was laughable.

9 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

*pique not peak you goofy goober 

17 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah, I grew up in the 90s and unfortunately that era of sports cards in general is pretty worthless

I remember going to the store as a kid and there being sports cards in every aisle of the checkout.  Where do you even find them nowadays? 

8 hours ago, theJ said:

I remember going to the store as a kid and there being sports cards in every aisle of the checkout.  Where do you even find them nowadays? 

Most chain stores still have them. Target, Walmart, etc.

But plenty of smaller cities I’ve lived in or visited have had some kind of sports card shop, if you live in a big city you’ve probably got a few to choose from. You’d be surprised how many hole in the wall places you drive past and didn’t even know they existed.

That said, the smaller shops selections are gonna be limited and skewed in favor of the local teams. That can be good or bad based on what you’re after. I have saved a bunch of my favorite Saints cards, and when going through them I was surprised that my Seahawks collection was just as big if not bigger than my Saints collection because I’ve been collecting cards in the PNW the whole time lol 

online/local card shops were my favorite. I used target/Walmart to grab single packs or a $20 case when I needed a fix lol

Archived