Sports Cards

MookieMonstah

6 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

Yeah for sure. Just a giant let down. I actually pulled a McCaffrey rookie jersey card out of a box the other day. Might need to head to Walmart tonight and get my fix in lol

Yeaaaaah. I think I just opened up a can of worms as well when I pulled these old cards out lol 

57 minutes ago, Dome said:

Just tried with Moore when I was bored one day. Haven’t tried since lol. I probably should, cause it was too easy last time. 

Me and my friend did this so much when we were younger with NHL players.  I probably have 50 or so signed cards from the early 2000s by just sending the card to the team facility with a handwritten note.  Pretty high success rate if I remember correctly, I don't recall losing too many cards. 

1 hour ago, flyers0909 said:

Me and my friend did this so much when we were younger with NHL players.  I probably have 50 or so signed cards from the early 2000s by just sending the card to the team facility with a handwritten note.  Pretty high success rate if I remember correctly, I don't recall losing too many cards. 

That would be my concern... if I was going to send stuff, it would be nice cards. Would hate for those to get tossed in the trash.

11 hours ago, theJ said:

I remember going to the store as a kid and there being sports cards in every aisle of the checkout.  Where do you even find them nowadays? 

Target and Wal-Mart carry them, but 99% of their items do not guarantee "hits" meaning player autographs or relics (game used/worn items.) . One brand, Topps Fire and Ice, which you can only get at Target, is the only card set you can buy in major box retail that has a guaranteed hit.  In a suburb of Annapolis MD, I pulled a Kris Bryant Fire and Ice patch /10 that I saw another person selling for $360.  It's like buying a lottery ticket, and there are even setts like Topps Clearly Authentic where you spend $50 for one slabbed card that has an autograph on it.  It could be anyone in the set.  

There are also premium sets that have more hits, and also more rare numbered cards.  Card stores also carry older sets.  While I just started collecting again this year, a Topps Finest set from 2014 got me a George Springer RC autograph /125, and a 2015 Topps Chrome pack got my a Javy Baez signed RC /250.  Both of those cards are worth more than I paid for the boxes.  

The most-wanted set right now that is still on the market are 2011 Topps Update, which contain Mike Trout, Bryce Harper and Jose Altuve RCs.  The Trout RC from that set, ungraded, goes for a couple hundred I think.  So people who bought those as an investment are charging a small fortune for them.  

I noticed you are the Bengals mod, and likely from Ohio.  If you are, I highly recommend following Jabs Family on YouTube.  He goes to a variety of places in Pennsylvania, but also in Ohio, to different card shops, antique malls and flea markets looking for cards.  There are still a few card shops around, but only one near me in the Annapolis area.  I have to go to Baltimore or Laurel (a close suburb of DC) to find one for me.  I usually buy online.  

3 hours ago, Dome said:

It keeps people from just snagging all the good packs off the shelf by using their fingernail to see what’s inside. That ruins it for whoever doesn’t get there at opening whenever the new shipments hit the shelves.

but yeah it’s a huge let down if you see a thick card and it’s just a fake, but I see why they have to do it 

I just witnessed a kid doing this at Target on my way home from work Friday night, hardly anyone in the store.  He had all of the pack cards spread out on the shelf and he was feeling around each pack, and then put a bunch back and bought maybe four?  So yeah, I didn't go in that pile, and ended up walking out as a Youtuber I follow put up a card-break that I bought into instead.  I had good luck with him the last time with Topps Tier One.

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I just witnessed a kid doing this at Target on my way home from work Friday night, hardly anyone in the store.  He had all of the pack cards spread out on the shelf and he was feeling around each pack, and then put a bunch back and bought maybe four?  So yeah, I didn't go in that pile, and ended up walking out as a Youtuber I follow put up a card-break that I bought into instead.  I had good luck with him the last time with Topps Tier One.

Yeah I tried to buy boxes if I was buying from a retail store. I’d snag some packs if it looked like a freshly opened box 

57 minutes ago, MookieMonstah said:

That would be my concern... if I was going to send stuff, it would be nice cards. Would hate for those to get tossed in the trash.

Yup. That’s why I sent a topps base card and a photo. Lol it took a few months to get back to me too, so you’d be sweating it out. 

On 11/5/2018 at 2:18 PM, Dome said:

Side note: it (might be) really easy to get autographed cards from guys who aren’t superstars. If that kind of thing interests you

I sent Lance Moore an envelope with a photo, a card and a postage paid return envelope with my address on it. He signed the picture and card and sent them a back when the season was over. It was pretty cool and now the photo is on display my man cave. 

Mileage may vary based on the player of course

Very cool.  I've heard a lot of success from people with baseball cards through the mail at spring training, as the players don't play every day but still have to show up for workouts, side work and for parts of the game.  I imagine football is probably the same in the pre-season, and likely at the end- they probably take some of their fan mail home and sign it during the off-season like Moore did for you..  Some players are more open to these than others- Pat Neshak actually collects MLB player autographs himself and says that anything TTM he gets, he signs.  Others won't sign autographs, ever.  

I'm an Orioles season ticket holder, and my tickets are on the visitor side near the dugout so I get to see who signs a lot and who doesn't.  If anyone is looking for any autographs in person, card or baseball, Mike Trout will always sign further down the line.  Felix Hernandez is one of the friendliest players and usually signs a ton unless he is pitching that day.  Todd Frazier is usually one of the first people out of the dugout to stretch and he uses that time to hang out with fans.  

I just got all my baseball cards from my parents place (and all of my brothers as well, he didn't want them). I haven't flipped through them, nothing all that exciting, but I have good memories from buying the cards.

I buy a pack from time to time still, but not all that often.

I should flip through them sometime and then probably sell them. I think I have something around 30k cards between what my brother and I have and stuff I've bought since then and I'm not sure if they are worth storing still.

Also, those local cards shops were great, wish they still existed.

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

I just got all my baseball cards from my parents place (and all of my brothers as well, he didn't want them). I haven't flipped through them, nothing all that exciting, but I have good memories from buying the cards.

I buy a pack from time to time still, but not all that often.

I should flip through them sometime and then probably sell them. I think I have something around 30k cards between what my brother and I have and stuff I've bought since then and I'm not sure if they are worth storing still.

Also, those local cards shops were great, wish they still existed.

More common than you think, and I actually think cards are making a bit of a comeback. I go to a local store and he said in the past 2-3 years he's had a huge increase in in-store and online purchases. They make really cool cards now with the helmet pieces, jersey patches, pieces of gloves and game towels. Just a lot of really cool product out now.

1 hour ago, MookieMonstah said:

More common than you think, and I actually think cards are making a bit of a comeback. I go to a local store and he said in the past 2-3 years he's had a huge increase in in-store and online purchases. They make really cool cards now with the helmet pieces, jersey patches, pieces of gloves and game towels. Just a lot of really cool product out now.

Yeah I don't think that small card shops are dead. I still see them in most cities, they just can be hard to find and often don't have much of an online presence. 

If they're making a comeback, i could definitely see myself getting into this hobby again. I used to buy packs simply for the thrill of opening them and getting a small saints collection going. I'd immediately resell any cards worth more than $1 on ebay, i saved almost every saints player i opened, and i still have a bunch of base cards in bulk and planned on selling them as team sets to team collectors some day. i think selling base cards in team sets like that is the best way to get rid of them. Usually 50+ cards of a single team could land me $4-5 on ebay when the cards individually aren't worth half that much. 

usually i made enough to fuel the hobby if i got a good pull that week, sometimes if i was unlucky it was a money pit.

I really need to see if these Favre/LT/Brees/Bettis/Seau/Brees rookie cards are worth anything, last I checked they were only worth a couple bucks each, but I could get some of them graded, I think a couple could be worth it long term. 

1 hour ago, Dome said:

Yeah I don't think that small card shops are dead. I still see them in most cities, they just can be hard to find and often don't have much of an online presence. 

If they're making a comeback, i could definitely see myself getting into this hobby again. I used to buy packs simply for the thrill of opening them and getting a small saints collection going. I'd immediately resell any cards worth more than $1 on ebay, i saved almost every saints player i opened, and i still have a bunch of base cards in bulk and planned on selling them as team sets to team collectors some day. i think selling base cards in team sets like that is the best way to get rid of them. Usually 50+ cards of a single team could land me $4-5 on ebay when the cards individually aren't worth half that much. 

usually i made enough to fuel the hobby if i got a good pull that week, sometimes if i was unlucky it was a money pit.

I really need to see if these Favre/LT/Brees/Bettis/Seau/Brees rookie cards are worth anything, last I checked they were only worth a couple bucks each, but I could get some of them graded, I think a couple could be worth it long term. 

Only get them graded if it’s worth it but yeah rookie cards tend to be the valuable ones. Panini Contenders has a good history of valuable rookie cards.

If you guys are interested, here are some good card sites online to order from: 

Dave and Adam's Card World- https://www.dacardworld.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI75eAgtrD3gIVVVgNCh2I2wbfEAAYASAAEgIGRfD_BwE

They also have a store in upstate New York, and also sell on Amazon and Ebay 

Hall of Fame Baseball Cards- https://www.hofbc.com/

They also have a store in Arcadia CA 

Both places do case breaks online as well.  

Archived