Sports Cards

MookieMonstah

I definitely dabble here and there. Mostly buy cards when I think a rookie will make it. I have quite a few gem mint Lebron James rookie cards. This year I bought some Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen auto cards. 

I also love to buy hobby boxes when it happens to be a strong rookie class. This year for football I bought a Panini Spectra hobby box and still discerning what I got. Did pull a joe Montana signature. 

Also think I’ll buy a couple of whatever is the hit hobby box for basketball this year. One to open for the fun and one hopefully to sell later. 

Question for you pros at this, how do you know to send in a card to be graded? I have plenty to send in, just don’t know if it’s worth the hassle. 

9 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

I definitely dabble here and there. Mostly buy cards when I think a rookie will make it. I have quite a few gem mint Lebron James rookie cards. This year I bought some Mayfield, Darnold and Rosen auto cards. 

I also love to buy hobby boxes when it happens to be a strong rookie class. This year for football I bought a Panini Spectra hobby box and still discerning what I got. Did pull a joe Montana signature. 

Also think I’ll buy a couple of whatever is the hit hobby box for basketball this year. One to open for the fun and one hopefully to sell later. 

Question for you pros at this, how do you know to send in a card to be graded? I have plenty to send in, just don’t know if it’s worth the hassle. 

Basically if it’s going to significantly increase the value of it now or in the future. The corners need to be near perfect, no smudges or scratches on the card, it needs to be centered well. I save any nice rookie cards I get in sleeves and hard case protectors and then if they end up looking good after a few years ill send them in to get graded.

One if Tom Brady’s most valuable rookie cards is just a base rookie card by chromes

28 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

I have a bunch of mostly 90s basketball cards. What are the chances that any of them are worth much money?

Unfortunately the 90's is like an all time bad era for sports cards. Might have some rookie cards that could be worth a little bit, but the chances of a gem (1K+) are slim to none. 

Just now, MookieMonstah said:

Unfortunately the 90's is like an all time bad era for sports cards. Might have some rookie cards that could be worth a little bit, but the chances of a gem (1K+) are slim to none. 

I was even talking much in the double digits for a card. I have like 2 large folders worth of cards with no duplicates and then a stack about a foot high of doubles. I have a few Jordan cards that never left their hard plastic cover and whatnot. They're sitting somewhere in the closet at my parent's house and should probably just sell them all.

1 minute ago, skywlker32 said:

I was even talking much in the double digits for a card. I have like 2 large folders worth of cards with no duplicates and then a stack about a foot high of doubles. I have a few Jordan cards that never left their hard plastic cover and whatnot. They're sitting somewhere in the closet at my parent's house and should probably just sell them all.

Yeah I just went through some old 90's cards I had as a kid. A couple of them I might get ~$70 but most of them got dropped off at goodwill.

As a little kid, I spent some money here and there and developed a crazy collection of sports cards. I'm sure that they aren't worth much (although I have some gems for sure) as I'm a classic "90s kid", and I also used to spend hours looking at them, touching them, bending the corners, etc. I should honestly give it away, if I can even find it now, or just sell it all for like $50-100. 

6 hours ago, MookieMonstah said:

Basically if it’s going to significantly increase the value of it now or in the future. The corners need to be near perfect, no smudges or scratches on the card, it needs to be centered well. I save any nice rookie cards I get in sleeves and hard case protectors and then if they end up looking good after a few years ill send them in to get graded.

One if Tom Brady’s most valuable rookie cards is just a base rookie card by chromes

Gotcha, thanks!

Was pretty big into it for about a decade. I'm finally getting around to selling them off.

A couple of my gems...

Autographed Bernard Berrian RC

Autographed Gene Upshaw

Autographed Lynn Swann

2 Kobe rookie cards

A game used Torry Holt Ultra Performer

A Lebron rookie card

And my prized baby...An MJ UD The Jordan Collection with real gold in it. Got it graded and up for bid. Started at $600 and it's up to $775 now

On 11/8/2018 at 4:58 AM, MookieMonstah said:

This is why my Favre rookie will never be graded. It’s not centered :(

also @MookieMonstah do you know about odds on “special” pulls? Panini Donruss advertises their $20 box as having 1 memorabilia/auto per box of 85 “ON AVERAGE”

the same panini donruss set comes in a box of 50 for $10 but says nothing about 

am I better off buying the two boxes for 100 cards for $20 or should I stick to the box of 85 for the better odds? Bsically, are all the boxes/packs filled randomly or do you have to buy the $20 box to get those “1 per box on average” odds?

17 minutes ago, Dome said:

This is why my Favre rookie will never be graded. It’s not centered :(

also @MookieMonstah do you know about odds on “special” pulls? Panini Donruss advertises their $20 box as having 1 memorabilia/auto per box of 85 “ON AVERAGE”

the same panini donruss set comes in a box of 50 for $10 but says nothing about 

am I better off buying the two boxes for 100 cards for $20 or should I stick to the box of 85 for the better odds? Bsically, are all the boxes/packs filled randomly or do you have to buy the $20 box to get those “1 per box on average” odds?

I've always pulled a special out of an "on average" case. I also pay up more for the better sets, like the Donruss cards are okay but most of the specials are trash. A lot of defensive players.

I'd rather pay up for an Origins box.

Archived