Steeler vs. Panthers Thurday Night Football Gamethread

Steeler Hitman

2 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

something I have not seen anybody mention. How about Jaylen Samuels dude has got game

I liked the pick but others thought he was not making the team. He looked decent in preseason but that was preseason . He is a really good receiver too, so that helps,  but I am not sure of his blocking near the QB  yet. If he was to lose a bit of weight and add a bit of speed, that would help because he has some vision and moves and does everything else.  

15 hours ago, warfelg said:

So there’s reports that about 6/7 weeks ago Tomlin took over defensive work in everything but play calling and title. 

Where are said reports? I haven't seen them.

More to the point, we heard the same thing last year. And the defense collapsed post-Shazier even after there were several weeks of reports about how the coaches were working to resolve issues (particularly giving up big plays) and how hands on Tomlin was in the process. Do I need to continue this line of thought and point out the issue? If you usurp your coordinator mid-season, lose your best player, have a weak plan to replace him, and then go into the next season with the plan to have the same guy in charge...and then have to usurp him again, that's not exactly a sterling endorsement of your judgement as a leader/manager/coach regardless of the results. It says that Butler should have been gone already, but wasn't and so we had to go down the same road after losing winnable games.

I don't think this is what happened, anyway. This just seems like a weak way to attempt to give excess credit to Tomlin. The guy deserves credit for the team as a whole and his ability to keep the locker room no matter what. He's part of the process of getting the defense on the same page. They are in a better position than I thought they would be. Tomlin is having one of the best seasons of his career right now after a rocky start. The real test is still coming, though - particularly for that defense.

18 hours ago, warfelg said:

The reporting came from Dungy on NFL Radio. Which I trust it’s happened then. 

Also pointing to Shazier going out and Tomlin having more input and the defense struggling is weak. 

That isn't what I said. Tomlin's increased input in the defense reportedly occurred prior to the Shazier injury. The final few weeks of the season we got stories about how the defensive backs were working with the coaches/Tomlin to resolve the big play issues they were having. Well, it was bull.

But you don't want to address the overall point which is that if this had to happen once, then Butler should have been out of a job already. And that does fall on Tomlin. If it happened a second time, then Tomlin's judgement becomes more of the issue for me than any ineptitude on Butler's part.

32 minutes ago, Chieferific said:

And KC owns the H2H so I think we have a shot at the #2 (A Week 15 date with the Pats could decide that) but the #1 is out of reach imo. 

Yeah, we would have to win out and hope KC drops 2 games.    I think the latter is possible, but no chance in hell I see us winning out.    Our last 3 home games are tough,  our 3 "easiest" games are on the road at stadiums we have historically struggled at, and on the road vs the Saints.

IMO, there is a better chance we miss the playoffs altogether than getting a first round bye.

Archived