Random Ravens Thoughts: New Forum Edition

drd23

While we do need another playmaker on our offense, I think we have to/can find them later in the draft. I still see it in such a way, that Brown needs his touched, Andrews as well, then Ingram/Gus/Hill also takes away some touches, Hurst can be involved more and Boykin could be an ascending player.

I saw Antonio Gibson work out as a receiver yesterday. I think he and Lynn Bowden are some of those playmakers that might be there that we could take and develop. I heard them yesterday talk about finding the next Deebo who gets some manufactured touches. I think we are trying to find that guy who can also return the ball and then add maybe another wide receiver/special teamer. I saw Claypool mentioned a couple times in this thread – they mentioned him as a great special teamer yesterday.

Anyone notice the double standard going on in NFL GEN in the Mahomes couldn’t read defenses thread right now?

Every poster in there is like “Yeah Mahomes throws to the open guy that’s what he’s SUPPOSED to do”

which is true but

all of those same posters this year in every Lamar thread were like 

“LaMaRs LeGs OPen uP WIde OpEn ThRoWS sO wE CanT aCcUrATely JuDGe hIM aS a PAsseR”

• Like 3

On 3/7/2020 at 8:43 AM, Danand said:

Lamar and our OC has a lot of work to do. Those are plays that should be made in year 2 with Boykin on the field

Just imagine if Jerry Jeudy was in Miles Boykin’s role where his speed in and out of breaks plus his initial release is the best I’ve seen in a WR prospect in at least a half decade, if not more.

I do like the idea of Boykin in the slot being utilized as a deep clear out option.

On 3/7/2020 at 8:43 AM, Danand said:

Lamar and our OC has a lot of work to do. Those are plays that should be made in year 2 with Boykin on the field

I don’t know that I agree with this guy. Seems like half the time, Boykin comes open after the ball is coming out. Can’t plan plays with a pump fake assuming safeties will bite on them.

• Like 1

The poster says in the video, that some of the plays seems like drawn up plays where the ball is never designed to go Boykins way, but there are also plays, where Lamars eyes comes off Boykin/never get there and he throws short despite having a clear pocket.

The same was the case with Hayden Hurst and if Lamar and Roman learn that those guys get open, there are big plays waiting to happen even though they take a little longer to get clear.

As DB424 mentioned, a more sudden player like Jeudy would be immediately open and could be special with the kind of space Boykin was allowed to find in that video due to defenses keying in on Lamar, Brown and Jackson.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 3:10 AM, Danand said:

The poster says in the video, that some of the plays seems like drawn up plays where the ball is never designed to go Boykins way, but there are also plays, where Lamars eyes comes off Boykin/never get there and he throws short despite having a clear pocket.

I think hopefully this is stuff that gets ironed out with them having a full offseason to work together. Seems like some of the issues here was simply that Lamar and Boykin don't really have a natural chemistry/connection yet and he wasn't as confident/comfortable throwing to him as opposed to Andrews and Hollywood. I also think some of the technique issues that get pinpointed later in the video - specifically as it relates to Boykin slowing up on his routes and rounding out his breaks - is n both Roman and Lamar's minds in terms of where they were putting him in the progressions and how much they trusted him to really hold his separation and come down with balls vs. being used to open up space for others. Clearly on a couple of those he was wide open but if you want your QB to come off his reads and see that then you're asking for a level of trust that basically hasn't been built up yet. 

You'd like to see a little more alpha dog mentality out of Boykin too tbh - when you do see yourself that wide open, put your hands up, let your QB know he missed an opportunity, don't be afraid to give a little to your QB. I feel like Lamar responds well to that sort of obsessive attitude about football which is why him and Hollywood vibe so well. For a rookie it's not terrible to see his role established more as a clear-out decoy kind of receiver but if he wants to be more than that he has to force guys to reckon with that. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp
  • Like 1

Here’s a fun fact with the NFL moving to a 14 team playoff field next year:

Since the “New Browns” have existed, they played a total of 21 seasons where 6 teams per conference made the playoffs.

They missed the playoffs in 20 of those seasons.

Edited by Ray Reed
  • Like 2

I guess this ensures the Ravens are the only team in a 16 game season to hit the 200/200 mark...

Though it also increases the chances someone might break their record, still highly unlikely, but it increases the chances nonetheless. Heck we might break it ourselves. Would “ONLY” need to average 194 rushing yards/game to do it vs 206 as we did this past season.