2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

26 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

My dream scenario is that we land Hockenson as the 12th pick and trade our 30th pick for AB. Having Hockenson takes pressure of Graham and good luck double-teaming both Brown and Adams.

Its a risky move to go all offense in the 1st round but I think you pickup DE's in the 2nd round and on and add safety help combined from the draft and FA's. We have too many holes to fill on D to make us a great defense but getting AB and Hockenson would make us a great offense.

Yes...let's completely ignore our defense.  Sounds like a swell idea.

Brown isn't getting traded for a 1st. No GM in their right mind is going to agree to that. Brandon Marshall in his prime was a Top 5 receiver and he only garnered two 2nds. A 31 year old diva making 13 million isn't garnering more than what Marshall did. If Green Bay can get him for their 3rd rounder, I'm on board. Anything more is a no from me

Just now, fistfullofbeer said:

If that is what you took from my post above, you need to read it again. And maybe just once more after that to be sure.

You also suggested helping fill our safety situation in FA (possible) and adding a pass rusher in the 2nd round.  The problem is I don't think you realize what kind of EDGE prospects we're looking at 44.  We're probably talking about Oshane Ximines, Jaylon Fergsuon, etc.   We're talking about those 3rd tier pass rushers.

1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

Brown isn't getting traded for a 1st. No GM in their right mind is going to agree to that. Brandon Marshall in his prime was a Top 5 receiver and he only garnered two 2nds. A 31 year old diva making 13 million isn't garnering more than what Marshall did. If Green Bay can get him for their 3rd rounder, I'm on board. Anything more is a no from me

let's wait to see what Oakland gives ...

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yes...let's completely ignore our defense.  Sounds like a swell idea.

I agree.  That method has worked swell for our offense.  From dominate to a laughing stock in a matter of a couple seasons.  But that tends ot happen when late round draft picks and undrafted Free Agents are the only avenues of adding young talent.   In 2015, 2016 and 2017 we drafted 12 offensive players with only one of them being a top 90 pick.  Of those 12, we've got 1 quality starter out of them.  Only 3 of the 12 haven't been moved dumped at one point.

1 minute ago, SSG said:

I agree.  That method has worked swell for our offense.  From dominate to a laughing stock in a matter of a couple seasons.  But that tends ot happen when late round draft picks and undrafted Free Agents are the only avenues of adding young talent.   In 2015, 2016 and 2017 we drafted 12 offensive players with only one of them being a top 90 pick.  Of those 12, we've got 1 quality starter out of them.  Only 3 of the 12 haven't been moved dumped at one point.

Our offense wasn't even that bad this year...the overreaction needs to stop.  Were they as good as they usually are?  No, but the notion that the Packers had some mediocre offense last year needs to die a painful death.

5 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

let's wait to see what Oakland gives ...

Notice I said right mind lol Jon Gruden and Jerry Jones are the two caveats. Jerry did trade a 1st and a 3rd for an ineffective Roy Williams, so it wouldn't surprise me to see him ship next year's 1st for him either

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Our offense wasn't even that bad this year...the overreaction needs to stop.  Were they as good as they usually are?  No, but the notion that the Packers had some mediocre offense last year needs to die a painful death.

I mean, the biggest problem was that Rodgers was missing guys (ether with his eyes or with the ball).  I don't how much you can correct that by adding new people.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You also suggested helping fill our safety situation in FA (possible) and adding a pass rusher in the 2nd round.  The problem is I don't think you realize what kind of EDGE prospects we're looking at 44.  We're probably talking about Oshane Ximines, Jaylon Fergsuon, etc.   We're talking about those 3rd tier pass rushers.

I totally get that and not even disagreeing with you about it.

But what I am trying to say is that we have too many holes on our D to turn it into one that can dominate and win games for us. On the other hand, we can go over the top on our offense and fill as many holes as we can on D. Even if this is a short-term fix for a year or two, it gives Rodgers all the support he needs.

I am a big hockey fan and a big believer in the importance of elite players. I understand how different roster sizes and salary caps make football and hockey hard to equate but in Hockenson and Brown we have two elite players. Even if we use #12 and #30 for defensive picks I doubt we get the level of talent that Hockenson and Brown would get. I would rather have 2 elite offensive players than 2 good defensive players.

7 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

You never know.  Amari Cooper, a mediocre starting WR, was just traded for a first rounder.  If Cooper is worth a first then Antonio Brown, one of the most talented WRs in NFL history, might be worth an entire draft.  

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

Pay the safeties, draft the edge guys. Steep for a S gets you Earl, Honey Badger or Landon Collins (all All Pros at some point I believe) and you're probably in the 12m range. Steep at EDGE is probably going to be 3-5m more per year and nets you Preston Smith. Choice seems obvious. Drive that S market Gutey.

I hear ya, but I'd sure like a vet at Edge if it's feasible.

I've read that the honey badger is on record saying he won't play up north or anywhere cold. That true? I can't find anything on it.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, Perry is literally why you don't make those signings.  You should not contribute that much of your cap to a player who has shown that little in their career. 

I get where you are coming from, but I kind of disagree. There is no such thing as a 100% safe player. You still need to resign/sign your players and add talent. Sometimes you take Ls, sometimes you hit home runs. We did have some mega team friendly deals (AR and Jordy's contract we signed when they were still unproven) and dodged a few bullets in the early part of this decade (Raji turning down 30 million).

Just now, Packerraymond said:

It's OK to get on Outposts nerves here. Wear it like a badge of honor.

Yeah, lol, it's okay to want to trade a 30th overall pick for a 31 year old receiver who is the biggest diva since Owens retired and draft a tight end 12th overall.  Lol.  Screw defense.  What has defense ever won? 

I want to see record setting touchdown numbers and then get embarrassed in the Championship round or Super Bowl just like that always happens.  I loved watching that first Peyton Manning Broncos Super Bowl or the Rams scoring 3 points or the Chiefs being held to zero points in the first half. 

Gimme that high flying offense that crashes brutally back to Earth when it matters.  2011 had a great end.

I swear to God sometimes people here convince themselves of this **** by turning off their entire brain. 

The all powerful Rodgers hasn't done **** in the playoffs without a defense and everybody acts like we just need to get him more help on offense.  It makes no got damn sense. 

And we aren't even talking about offensive linemen here.  We're talking about a got damn tight end who didn't run under a 4.7 40. 

And you'ree talking about 12th overall. 

Ertz, Kelce, Kittle, Hooper, Cook, Rudolph, Njoku, Graham and Burton were the top 10 tight ends in receptions last year.  Njoku was the highest drafted at 29th overall and you're talking about Hockenson at 12th overall. 

It's stupid, it's crazy stupid, and you know it, but oh it was Outpost who said it, so lol, let's be okay with this kind of opinion. 

Do you know how many rookie tight ends have had a better season than Jimmy Graham just had for us last year since 1990? 

2.  Two rookie tight ends have had better seasons than Graham just did.  So we're using 12th overall essentially for not this year, probably not next year, but three years down the road?  You think that's okay?  It's not okay.  It's why tight ends don't get taken in round one often, and even when they do - IF they hit - they take time.

You think I just cut that off at 1990 to suit my argument?  I didn't. 

SINCE AS FAR BACK AS 1936, 4 TIGHT ENDS HAVE HAD OVER 55 RECEPTIONS IN THEIR ROOKIE YEARS. 

FOUR.

Only 25 tight ends had over 55 receptions in their second years. 

Only 33 tight ends have had over 55 receptions in their third years.

IT IS A *****ING TIGHT END YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT. 

It's not a left tackle, it's not a QB, it's not even a running back, it's a tight end.  Rodgers won a Super Bowl throwing to Donald effing Lee. 

And I haven't even started in on Brown yet. 

*Quit on his team (after throwing a football at his QB)
*Said his new team has to play by his rules
*Has not stopped insulting, deriding, badmouthing and talking **** about his former team and teammate
*Has not once taken accountability for anything
*Wants a new deal
*Is going to be 31 years old
*Is a receiver
*Will take snaps away from MVS and ESB
*How do you think he's going to handle Aaron's obvious trust and preference towards Adams
*How do you think his behavior will go if he's ever open and Rodgers doesn't throw, as Rodgers has shown in the past
*How do you think Antonio's personality will mesh with Aaron's? 

But yeah, wear it like a badge of honor if you upset Outpost.  He likes defense.  Screw defense.  Real key to victory is effing tight ends 12th overall and diva receivers.  Lions do great with that kind of franchise outlook.  So do the Bengals.  Let's be like the frickin Lions. 

3 minutes ago, SSG said:

You never know.  Amari Cooper, a mediocre starting WR, was just traded for a first rounder.  If Cooper is worth a first then Antonio Brown, one of the most talented WRs in NFL history, might be worth an entire draft.  

I agree. I think people in general over-rate draft picks. Its true in most sports. Generally the differentiating factor is $$. Talent wise, AB is one of the best WR's in the NFL. Most (if any) WR drafted this year is not going to be as good as AB during the length of his contract.

If WR is a need, and you have $$ and a late draft pick, then why not go for AB?

Archived