2019 Free Agent Discussion

Brit Pack

My list of realistic FA targets:

RB

Ameer Abdullah 
Alex Collins
Karlos Williams (Reinstated last month)

Not much to say about Abdullah, he's a chronic underachiever who possesses a bunch of ability (how much of that is on injuries/Detroit?). Collins doesn't have the hip or ankle flexibility I prefer in my RBs, but there's no denying he's a hard-nosed one cut runner who had success in the NFL. Williams was just reinstated last month, and I'm not sure he'll even get another shot in the NFL, but if he does, I'd like to see that be in Green Bay. 

WR

Bruce Ellington
Randall Cobb
Eli Rogers (If released- contract tolled)
Justin Hardy
Duke Johnson
Tajae Sharpe 

I'm not sure the Packers need a prototypical slot WR, but if they want someone in that mold there are a few available. Cobb could be an option to return if he comes cheap. Rogers would be a solid option, but his contract was tolled so he will remain under Steelers control for 2019 (unless they release him, like the Seahawks did with Shead). Hardy doesn't create a ton after the catch, but he runs solid routes and can make contested catches. Ellington has been snake-bitten throughout his career, but he possesses a tremendous amount of ability if he can keep his hamstrings intact. Ellington probably represents the most realistic signing and would come at or near the vet minimum. Duke Johnson would be a RB/WR hybrid that could likely be acquired via trade based on his diminishing role in the Browns offense. Tajae Sharpe is another player that could be obtained for dirt cheap, a veteran WR that runs smooth routes, but hasn't truly had a chance to shine anchored to Mariota. The Titans seem to be moving on from Sharpe after acquiring Humphries to pair with Davis and Taylor.  

TE

Tyler Eifert
Maxx Williams
James O'Shaugnessy
Erik Swoope

Eifert would need to come on a 1 year prove-it deal. Not sure how much sense it would make to sign him with Graham in-house. Williams is a strong blocker that may have untapped upside as a pass catcher. The Ravens have been consistently stacked with talent at the TE position and Williams could represent a good buy-low opportunity. O'Shaugnessy could be an ideal fit as a #2 TE behind Graham, but ahead of a Rookie TE. He's a good blocker that moves well, but doesn't have the same promise as a pass catcher. Swoope yo-yo'ed on and off the Colts roster, but the Colts were also stacked at the TE position and have developed a number of TEs over the years (most recently Alie-Cox). Swoope might have more upside than Williams or O'Shaugnessy as a receiver, but he remains somewhat limited as a blocker. I'm not entirely sure where Swoope stands in terms of NFL interest as he was released before the end of the league year. 

OLB

Clay Matthews
Shaq Barrett
*Brandon Copeland*

There probably isn't much of a need to add to this position after what happened yesterday. We seem to have moved on from Clay, but I think if he were cheap enough he could be a valuable role player. Barrett would be highly unlikely to sign here after Preston and Za'Darius both signed as he's stated that he wants the opportunity to start. Copeland is a favorite of mine, and I'd really like to see the Packers sign him. He's clearly a better fit in a 3-4 system and could provide valuable depth at the right price. 

DL

Muhammad Wilkerson
Kerry Hyder
Roy Robertson-Harris (RFA)
Olsen Pierre (RFA)

Wilkerson looked extremely solid last season and appears the most likely to return of all the  2019 Packers FAs. Hyder suffered a brutal injury two seasons ago and never completely recovered. He could be worth a cheap look as a solid rotational pass rusher that we could move around on 3rd down. Robertson-Harris is likely going nowhere as he should be tendered by the Chicago Bears. Pierre might be the player I'm most interested in outside of Wilkerson. He thrived in 2017 in a 3-4 system with 5.5 sacks, and then was miscast last year by the Cardinals as they switched to a 4-3 defense. I don't believe he will be tendered and he could be an underrated addition to a DL that already includes Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Adams, and Lancaster. 

ILB

Jake Ryan 
Neville Hewitt

I'd be fine if Ryan is re-signed on the cheap. He's a solid, but unspectacular player. Hewitt is a player that has bounced around the league a bit as he adjusted to the speed of the NFL game. He started the last 4 games of the season for the Jets at ILB (who are now switching to a 4-3). Hewitt flashes tremendous physical potential and smooth hips that allow him to drop into coverage. Against the Packers in Week 16, Hewitt had 9 tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL, and 3 QB hits. He's someone that flashed enough during my re-watch that I began to wonder who the guy was. He'd be a dirt cheap option that could compete with Burks (and possibly Jones) for the spot next to Martinez.  

CB

Bashaud Breeland
Nevin Lawson 
Kayvon Webster 
Dexter McDonald

Breeland will depend heavily on the price, but he seems to be well-liked by the locker room. Lawson was cut by Detroit after a down season, but he's a candidate to bounce back with a change of scenery. He'd operate primarily out of the slot between King and Alexander. Webster has been dealing with injuries recently, but has been effective both on the outside and in the slot when healthy. McDonald is my favorite of the group and I've liked him since he was at Kansas. He was drafted by Reggie McKenize, who had an excellent few years drafting late-round CBs. McDonald reminds me of T.J. (Travis) Carrie who was another late round selection by McKenzie that has become an excellent CB at the NFL level. Worst case scenario with McDonald you'd be getting an elite athlete that can help on specials, but he definitely possesses the ability to be groomed into a starter. He flashed a lot in 2017, and then had a strong TC in 2018 before an ankle injury sent him to IR at the end of the preseason.  

FS

Tre Boston
Jahleel Addae
Jimmie Ward
Andrew Adams
Curtis Riley 

In an ideal world Gute would add a FS type player that can create turnovers opposite Amos. I'm of the opinion that Boston will be too expensive, but I'd be interested at the right price. I've liked Addae since CMU and there's a potential fit for him opposite Amos. Addae has played well when asked to cover the slot and isn't afraid to mix it up in the run game. Addae hasn't created many interceptions at the NFL level, but he had a number of INTs at the college level. The only question with Addae is whether he possesses the requisite range to play deep (and the Packers FO would have to make that determination), but I think he can make it work because he's an intelligent player. Ward would be a reclamation project. Adams had a good year after the Bucs signed him during the season. He had a four INTs on the season (although 3 came in 1 game against Cam Newton) and graded well in pass coverage per PFF (albeit on a limited sample). Adams was not tendered as an RFA by the Bucs. Riley is another interesting name that should be available now that the Giants have committed to Bethea and Peppers. Riley is another player that I've liked since college (at Fresno St.). He started his NFL career at CB, but has since moved to S. He was not expected to compete for the safety job opposite Landon Collins entering last season, but ultimately won the job. He displays good range and demonstrated the ability to create turnovers with 4 INTs. He's not afraid to stick his nose in there, but he did suffer from a few tackling mishaps in his first season at safety. 

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Breeland

Boston

Eifert

Barrett

Wilkerson

If we can find the room for 2 of these guys before going into the draft I'm going to get @Norm levels of drunk before the draft even starts because I'll be jacked about whoever we take because our team will be so much improved over last year.

Agreed. Pretty concerned Breeland hasn't been brought back already. I think you get Breeland and Boston and that should suffice until the draft, but I think Breeland and Wilkerson are more realistic given their familiarity with Pettine's most recent iteration of a defensive scheme along with the fact that we signed Amos to a fairly sizable deal as well. Wilkerson should cost us a few peanuts and Breeland would be wise to come back for at least another year. Perhaps they're negotiating and we just don't know it.

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Breeland

Boston

Eifert

Barrett

Wilkerson

If we can find the room for 2 of these guys before going into the draft I'm going to get @Norm levels of drunk before the draft even starts because I'll be jacked about whoever we take because our team will be so much improved over last year.

You done with Clay? Still like the idea of moving him inside and using him like Hightower as an inside/outside rusher. 

At $5 mil I'd bite.

45 minutes ago, Cadmus said:

My list of realistic FA targets:

RB

Ameer Abdullah 
Alex Collins
Karlos Williams (Reinstated last month)

Not much to say about Abdullah, he's a chronic underachiever who possesses a bunch of ability (how much of that is on injuries/Detroit?). Collins doesn't have the hip or ankle flexibility I prefer in my RBs, but there's no denying he's a hard-nosed one cut runner who had success in the NFL. Williams was just reinstated last month, and I'm not sure he'll even get another shot in the NFL, but if he does, I'd like to see that be in Green Bay. 

WR

Bruce Ellington
Randall Cobb
Eli Rogers (If released- contract tolled)
Justin Hardy
Duke Johnson
Tajae Sharpe 

I'm not sure the Packers need a prototypical slot WR, but if they want someone in that mold there are a few available. Cobb could be an option to return if he comes cheap. Rogers would be a solid option, but his contract was tolled so he will remain under Steelers control for 2019 (unless they release him, like the Seahawks did with Shead). Hardy doesn't create a ton after the catch, but he runs solid routes and can make contested catches. Ellington has been snake-bitten throughout his career, but he possesses a tremendous amount of ability if he can keep his hamstrings intact. Ellington probably represents the most realistic signing and would come at or near the vet minimum. Duke Johnson would be a RB/WR hybrid that could likely be acquired via trade based on his diminishing role in the Browns offense. Tajae Sharpe is another player that could be obtained for dirt cheap, a veteran WR that runs smooth routes, but hasn't truly had a chance to shine anchored to Mariota. The Titans seem to be moving on from Sharpe after acquiring Humphries to pair with Davis and Taylor.  

TE

Tyler Eifert
Maxx Williams
James O'Shaugnessy
Erik Swoope

Eifert would need to come on a 1 year prove-it deal. Not sure how much sense it would make to sign him with Graham in-house. Williams is a strong blocker that may have untapped upside as a pass catcher. The Ravens have been consistently stacked with talent at the TE position and Williams could represent a good buy-low opportunity. O'Shaugnessy could be an ideal fit as a #2 TE behind Graham, but ahead of a Rookie TE. He's a good blocker that moves well, but doesn't have the same promise as a pass catcher. Swoope yo-yo'ed on and off the Colts roster, but the Colts were also stacked at the TE position and have developed a number of TEs over the years (most recently Alie-Cox). Swoope might have more upside than Williams or O'Shaugnessy as a receiver, but he remains somewhat limited as a blocker. I'm not entirely sure where Swoope stands in terms of NFL interest as he was released before the end of the league year. 

OLB

Clay Matthews
Shaq Barrett
*Brandon Copeland*

There probably isn't much of a need to add to this position after what happened yesterday. We seem to have moved on from Clay, but I think if he were cheap enough he could be a valuable role player. Barrett would be highly unlikely to sign here after Preston and Za'Darius both signed as he's stated that he wants the opportunity to start. Copeland is a favorite of mine, and I'd really like to see the Packers sign him. He's clearly a better fit in a 3-4 system and could provide valuable depth at the right price. 

DL

Muhammad Wilkerson
Kerry Hyder
Roy Robertson-Harris (RFA)
Olsen Pierre (RFA)

Wilkerson looked extremely solid last season and appears the most likely to return of all the  2019 Packers FAs. Hyder suffered a brutal injury two seasons ago and never completely recovered. He could be worth a cheap look as a solid rotational pass rusher that we could move around on 3rd down. Robertson-Harris is likely going nowhere as he should be tendered by the Chicago Bears. Pierre might be the player I'm most interested in outside of Wilkerson. He thrived in 2017 in a 3-4 system with 5.5 sacks, and then was miscast last year by the Cardinals as they switched to a 4-3 defense. I don't believe he will be tendered and he could be an underrated addition to a DL that already includes Clark, Daniels, Lowry, Adams, and Lancaster. 

ILB

Jake Ryan 
Neville Hewitt

I'd be fine if Ryan is re-signed on the cheap. He's a solid, but unspectacular player. Hewitt is a player that has bounced around the league a bit as he adjusted to the speed of the NFL game. He started the last 4 games of the season for the Jets at ILB (who are now switching to a 4-3). Hewitt flashes tremendous physical potential and smooth hips that allow him to drop into coverage. Against the Packers in Week 16, Hewitt had 9 tackles, 1 sack, 1 TFL, and 3 QB hits. He's someone that flashed enough during my re-watch that I began to wonder who the guy was. He'd be a dirt cheap option that could compete with Burks (and possibly Jones) for the spot next to Martinez.  

CB

Bashaud Breeland
Nevin Lawson 
Kayvon Webster 
Dexter McDonald

Breeland will depend heavily on the price, but he seems to be well-liked by the locker room. Lawson was cut by Detroit after a down season, but he's a candidate to bounce back with a change of scenery. He'd operate primarily out of the slot between King and Alexander. Webster has been dealing with injuries recently, but has been effective both on the outside and in the slot when healthy. McDonald is my favorite of the group and I've liked him since he was at Kansas. He was drafted by Reggie McKenize, who had an excellent few years drafting late-round CBs. McDonald reminds me of T.J. (Travis) Carrie who was another late round selection by McKenzie that has become an excellent CB at the NFL level. Worst case scenario with McDonald you'd be getting an elite athlete that can help on specials, but he definitely possesses the ability to be groomed into a starter. He flashed a lot in 2017, and then had a strong TC in 2018 before an ankle injury sent him to IR at the end of the preseason.  

FS

Tre Boston
Jahleel Addae
Jimmie Ward
Andrew Adams
Curtis Riley 

In an ideal world Gute would add a FS type player that can create turnovers opposite Amos. I'm of the opinion that Boston will be too expensive, but I'd be interested at the right price. I've liked Addae since CMU and there's a potential fit for him opposite Amos. Addae has played well when asked to cover the slot and isn't afraid to mix it up in the run game. Addae hasn't created many interceptions at the NFL level, but he had a number of INTs at the college level. The only question with Addae is whether he possesses the requisite range to play deep (and the Packers FO would have to make that determination), but I think he can make it work because he's an intelligent player. Ward would be a reclamation project. Adams had a good year after the Bucs signed him during the season. He had a four INTs on the season (although 3 came in 1 game against Cam Newton) and graded well in pass coverage per PFF (albeit on a limited sample). Adams was not tendered as an RFA by the Bucs. Riley is another interesting name that should be available now that the Giants have committed to Bethea and Peppers. Riley is another player that I've liked since college (at Fresno St.). He started his NFL career at CB, but has since moved to S. He was not expected to compete for the safety job opposite Landon Collins entering last season, but ultimately won the job. He displays good range and demonstrated the ability to create turnovers with 4 INTs. He's not afraid to stick his nose in there, but he did suffer from a few tackling mishaps in his first season at safety. 

Riley is a low-pay free agent that could become an extremely effective player next to Amos. I would love it if we got him...only 26.

30 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Breeland

Boston

Eifert

Barrett

Wilkerson

Wilkerson and Boston please.

I'd love to have Matthews back and next to Martinez.  Can never have too many pass rushers, and if Clay's not asked to do what he was asked to do last year, he'll be much more effective at actually accomplishing what's expected of him.  He's one of my favorite Packers of all-time, and he still has three years left at ILB if he chooses to go that route. 

24 minutes ago, YaddaHolla said:

Jaire posted on his Instagram story

”Guteeeeee 🤟🏽“

I think he approves of the offseason so far. Anyone love JA?

I love JA but it has nothing to do qith that tweet and everything to do with the way he balled out last season

3 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

You done with Clay? Still like the idea of moving him inside and using him like Hightower as an inside/outside rusher. 

At $5 mil I'd bite.

I'd pick Barrett over him easily due to career projection but no I'm not done with Clay as a role player if he signed for role player money. Starter, yes. He can go elsewhere if he wants to be paid to start.

1 minute ago, SaginawReunion83 said:

Riley is a low-pay free agent that could become an extremely effective player next to Amos. I would love it if we got him...only 26.

Yeah, I told @JBURGE earlier that Riley is the one I want from what is left. 

I also liked Gipson and Roberts before they both signed contracts. 

The way I see it... if the Packers tried to sign Gipson... that means they know they need someone that can create turnovers at safety. 

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

I'd pick Barrett over him easily due to career projection but no I'm not done with Clay as a role player if he signed for role player money. Starter, yes. He can go elsewhere if he wants to be paid to start.

I think Barrett is the least likely of almost anyone on my list to sign here. 

The Packers would need to convince him that he won't get Wally Pipped... and that'll be hard to do with Za'Darius and Preston in-house + Fackrell + #12 & #30 

Shaq just wants the opportunity to start. 

Archived